LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 272 users in the forums

Is it time to release Frank Gore?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is it time to release Frank Gore?

Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by strickac:
No, I think he should restructure as he's inevitably going to have a smaller role. I think we're a better offense when we integrate Hunter and LMJ into the offense.

?? Anything to back this up with? If we can play backups later in games we have large leads in, of course our offense "looked" better that day I'd imagine. But this is nothing concrete. Neither of those RBs are the player Gore is. I'm fine with finding a back that's about as good as Gore, but we haven't yet. Until that day he deserves every penny.

Concrete?? I'm giving my opinion. I started the thought with, "I think". Are you looking for stats?

Gore is getting older and we have drafted 3 RBs that look like they'll be on the roster next year. Hunter and Lattimore are talented backs. Does the interest in Gerhart, another potential starter, make you start to think the team wants to move on? It should. I "think" any GM in the NFL would be comfortable with Gerhart, Hunter, Lattimore, and LMJ. Gore doesn't appear to be in the plans as the bell cow we've seen for so many years.
Sure, what GM wouldn't be comfortable with a fullback, a guy who has never carried the ball in the NFL coming off severe knee surgery, another guy with 39 carries in two years, and and the feature back who is 5'7" <200. The four horseman.

You can scratch Gerhart off the list.

Originally posted by strickac:
Concrete?? I'm giving my opinion. I started the thought with, "I think". Are you looking for stats?.

Huhh?? You said "I think 'we are'",...not "I think we would be."

Which would lead to the question "what past performance on the actual football field would leave you to believe such a thing?"

We cant base decisions on pure, 100% guesses. Gore has clearly outperformed both year after year.
If we commit to changing our scheme, to a speedier backfield and more athletic linemen, then yes. I do think that is the future of this team, "Home run hitters" to quote Jim Harbaugh, guys who can score form anywhere on the field. Frank has never been a that guy, he is 5 yards an a cloud of dust, a pure power runner. At this stage he rarely turns the corner on outside plays, and runs out of gas after 30 yards or so if he breaks away up the middle. He is done, and it will soon be time to bid him farewell.
I hope we make some changes, up front, and in the backfield, this offense makes it look harder than it has to be. I would trade, or cut Frank, and look for more speed in the backfield, and look at moving some of our "amazing" O-linemen. Retool up front for a more dynamic line, one that can move better. Staley, Boone, Kilgore, and Snyder are more mobile and we should build around them. I am curious to see what Martin brings as far as athletic ability.
Frank is a blessing and a curse, his style, power I with the full back lead, limits what this team can do, but he is seemingly unstoppable (unless it;s a big game) from this formation. I would like a more dynamic and deadly offense. If we are going to stay a power run team, might as well give him another season. I think that change is needed if we are going to ever get over the hump and win it all. So I guess I come down on the dump Gore side, but only if we ale other changes.
Brilliant.

Replace Boone and Iupati with Kilgor and Snyder. Wow. You're not saying that with a straight face, are you?

Are their contracts being renegotiated? That's the usual context which spawns remarks like that.

More brilliance -- Frank's run style is a curse in big games. Good to know.

I guess it was Hunter breaking the game winning runs against Seattle, Green Bay.

SEA:

San Francisco 49ers at 6:20 SEA SF
1st and 10 at SF 20 C.Kaepernick scrambles right end pushed ob at SF 23 for 3 yards (C.Avril).
2nd and 7 at SF 23 C.Kaepernick pass short left to M.Crabtree to SF 29 for 6 yards (B.Maxwell, B.Irvin). Caught at SF 28. 1-yd YAC Timeout #1 by SF at 04:58.
3rd and 1 at SF 29 B.Miller right guard to SF 31 for 2 yards (K.Chancellor).
1st and 10 at SF 31 F.Gore left tackle pushed ob at SEA 18 for 51 yards (R.Sherman).
1st and 10 at SEA 18 K.Hunter right guard to SEA 17 for 1 yard (K.Chancellor, M.Smith). Timeout #2 by SEA at 03:30.
2nd and 9 at SEA 17 F.Gore right guard to SEA 15 for 2 yards (B.Mebane). Timeout #3 by SEA at 03:24.
3rd and 7 at SEA 15 (Shotgun) C.Kaepernick left end to SEA 7 for 8 yards (B.Wagner).
1st and 7 at SEA 7 F.Gore right guard to SEA 8 for -1 yards (K.Chancellor).
2nd and 8 at SEA 8 F.Gore up the middle to SEA 6 for 2 yards (M.Smith, B.Wagner). Timeout #2 by SF at 01:15.
3rd and 6 at SEA 6 F.Gore up the middle to SEA 4 for 2 yards (E.Thomas). Timeout #3 by SF at 00:31.
4th and 4 at SEA 4 P.Dawson 22 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-K.McDermott, Holder-A.Lee.
DRIVE TOTALS: SEA 17, SF 19, 11 plays, 76 yards, 5:54 elapsed

GB:

1st and 10 at SF 20 (Shotgun) C.Kaepernick pass short right to M.Crabtree to SF 31 for 11 yards (B.Jones; A.Hawk).
1st and 10 at SF 31 C.Kaepernick pass incomplete deep middle to V.Davis.
2nd and 10 at SF 31 (Shotgun) C.Kaepernick pass incomplete short left to A.Boldin (M.Hyde).
3rd and 10 at SF 31 (Shotgun) C.Kaepernick pass short middle to M.Crabtree to SF 48 for 17 yards (M.Hyde).
1st and 10 at SF 48 F.Gore left tackle to SF 49 for 1 yard (M.Jennings).
2nd and 9 at SF 49 C.Kaepernick pass short left to F.Gore to GB 40 for 11 yards (B.Jones).
1st and 10 at GB 40 F.Gore right guard to GB 38 for 2 yards (M.Burnett).
2nd and 8 at GB 38 (Shotgun) C.Kaepernick pass incomplete short left to V.Davis.
3rd and 8 at GB 38 (Shotgun) C.Kaepernick left end ran ob at GB 27 for 11 yards (T.Williams).
1st and 10 at GB 27 F.Gore left tackle to GB 22 for 5 yards (B.Jones; M.Daniels). Timeout #2 by GB at 01:02.
2nd and 5 at GB 22 F.Gore left end to GB 20 for 2 yards (A.Hawk, S.Richardson). Timeout #3 by GB at 00:56.
3rd and 3 at GB 20 F.Gore right guard to GB 17 for 3 yards (N.Perry).
1st and 10 at GB 17 F.Gore right guard to GB 15 for 2 yards (B.Raji). Timeout #3 by SF at 00:03.
2nd and 8 at GB 15 P.Dawson 33 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-K.McDermott, Holder-A.Lee.
Penalty on GB-D.House, Defensive Offside, declined.

Mods please, how much longer do we need to endure this thread?
Share 49ersWebzone