There are 137 users in the forums

Is it time to release Frank Gore?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is it time to release Frank Gore?

Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by strickac:
I'm not trying to troll here. I simply think Gore's speed is a liability on offense and minimizes his value, which I believe is less than what he's set to earn.

Projecting the yards per carry of Hunter at the number of rushes by Gore is a precarious undertaking.
It assumes that Hunter would maintain his average per carry.

Plus, yards per carry does not uniquely provide us with the relative value of running backs.
See the comparison of AP and Gephardt above. (post # 309)

The question posed was whether it is time to release Gore, not whether his value is less than what he is set to earn.

Do you think that Gore should be released now--March 9 2014?

No, I think he should restructure as he's inevitably going to have a smaller role. I think we're a better offense when we integrate Hunter and LMJ into the offense. I have no problem with a committee approach. It keeps these guys fresh, especially later in the season.
Originally posted by cciowa:
the people who have turned on gore have not offered one bit of physical proof that gore has lost his game. just a bunch of grassy knoll conspiracy theories and complaints about his speed, which he never had in the first place.. i swear some of you act like you want him to be done

Read the thread bro, all the stats are here!

He won't touch 800 yards if he stays a Niner.
This whole stupid thread has made me think back over the past year.

I swear, Frank is one of the niners on offense that brings a smile to my face. Staley, Dawson, Quan, Boone, Vern once in a while, and Frank.

He does things that just make me laugh. Like when he starts running in a pile between peoples ankles then magically appears off tackle to get a few yards.

That just brings a big smile to my face. I can't help it.

I'm going to miss that terribly when its gone.

This whole thread is wrong.
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Mar 9, 2014 at 5:28 PM ]
Gore has a place on this team and the starting squad until another RB forces him out of playing time. Right now, this hasn't happened. Maybe it will happen this year maybe not, it's up to the other RB's on the team to push Gore out.

I'll say this right now, if lattimore impresses, hunter is the odd man out this year.
[ Edited by fister30 on Mar 9, 2014 at 5:54 PM ]
Frank should be a 49er his whole career. I think he has earned the right to retire a 49er when he is ready.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
This whole stupid thread has made me think back over the past year.

I swear, Frank is one of the niners on offense that brings a smile to my face. Staley, Dawson, Quan, Boone, Vern once in a while, and Frank.

He does things that just make me laugh. Like when he starts running in a pile between peoples ankles then magically appears off tackle to get a few yards.

That just brings a big smile to my face. I can't help it.

I'm going to miss that terribly when its gone.

This whole thread is wrong.
Look at my list in NFL talk of backs who had success (I gauged that at 200+ carries and a 4.0+ YPC) at 31+ (Frank's age this coming season) it is a pretty short list. Frank showed signs of slowing down mid season last year and we must assume he will continue to decline, after Crabtree came back including the play-offs his YPC was only 3.77. Franks cap number is like $6 mil. That is too much money for what will probably be a running back who will probably average well south of 4 yards a carry. Of all the things Goodell has done to try to put his stamp on the game he should propose a salary cap exception for long tenured players who have only played for one team their whole career. The amount of years needed to qualify would very by position running back being the shortest and place kicker or punter the longest. Seeing perennial pro bowlers and HOF players get cut for financial reasons and play a year or two somewhere else doesn't seem right to me.
Originally posted by mutant-man49:

Stats? Maybe you should read the stats. Because when you look at the stats, how can you be so certain he won't touch 800 yards?

2011: 1211 yards, 4.3 per carry, 8 TD's, long of 55 yards
2012: 1214 yards, 4.7 per carry, 8 TD's, long of 37 yards
2013: 1128 yards, 4.1 per carry, 9 TD's, long of 51 yards

Now, if Lattimore comes in and shows that he can be the workhorse, then maybe you're right. But we don't know that yet. What we do know is that Frank Gore has never rushed for less than 1000 yards if he started 14 or more games in a season. And we also know that he showed no obvious signs of running out of gas towards the end of last season.
[ Edited by crake49 on Mar 10, 2014 at 9:11 AM ]
Originally posted by strickac:
No, I think he should restructure as he's inevitably going to have a smaller role. I think we're a better offense when we integrate Hunter and LMJ into the offense.

?? Anything to back this up with? If we can play backups later in games we have large leads in, of course our offense "looked" better that day I'd imagine. But this is nothing concrete. Neither of those RBs are the player Gore is. I'm fine with finding a back that's about as good as Gore, but we haven't yet. Until that day he deserves every penny.
They need to run him outside in separation more. Its no secret that if Frank gets the ball where he's going.
Originally posted by crake49:

Stats? Maybe you should read the stats. Because when you look at the stats, how can you be so certain he won't touch 800 yards?

Now, if Lattimore comes in and shows that he can be the workhorse, then maybe you're right. But we don't know that yet. What we do know is that Frank Gore has never rushed for less than 1000 yards if he started 14 or more games in a season. And we also know that he showed no obvious signs of running out of gas towards the end of last season.
He also doesn't have all those carries in college at the U because he was injured. He still has tread on those tires! I agree with the previous poster, he brings a smile to my face too. I hope they win the big one this year for Frank. He is a good guy and a true warrior!

Once again man I posted several times in this thread how Frank declined in each quarter of the season last year. His ypc declined, so did his attempts and Tds. You want more physical proof....since Frank took over as the full time starter in his 2nd season ('06), only oncebefore this season had he failed to gain more than 14 yards when give 10 or more carries. That was back in 2008 against the NYG. This past season, Frank turned in not one but two 14 yard games in the teams last 4 games of the season including playoffs. I'm excluding the 2-3 games in which he was hurt or did not play full games.

There's your obvious signs of slowing down for you buddy. Who were those 14 yard performances against? 6 games next year against top run D from a year ago. Lattimore and Hunter will both take significant carries away from Gore next season.

Once again man I posted several times in this thread how Frank declined in each quarter of the season last year. His ypc declined, so did his attempts and Tds. You want more physical proof....since Frank took over as the full time starter in his 2nd season ('06), only oncebefore this season had he failed to gain more than 14 yards when give 10 or more carries. That was back in 2008 against the NYG. This past season, Frank turned in not one but two 14 yard games in the teams last 4 games of the season including playoffs. I'm excluding the 2-3 games in which he was hurt or did not play full games.

There's your obvious signs of slowing down for you buddy. Who were those 14 yard performances against? 6 games next year against top run D from a year ago. Lattimore and Hunter will both take significant carries away from Gore next season.

The only stat the pro cutting Gore people care about is his salary (which is a bargain for a guy like him) and the NFC Championship game.

Don't you think the fact that they faced the #1, #2, #7 and #9 rush defenses during that period had something to do with that?
mutant-man49: I'm not arguing against Llattimore and/or Hunter taking significant carries away from Gore next season. Actually, my hope is that Lattimore proves himself to be worthy of being the workhorse. I'd like to see Gore doing what he does best right now - he's still the best blitz blocker in the league, he's smart, and on passing downs he could stone blitzers and provide a nice outlet if everyone's covered.
Share 49ersWebzone