LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 238 users in the forums

Is it time to release Frank Gore?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Delinquentwayz:
LMAO you people are really really bored..
Frank has been the heart and soul of this team... when they team needs a boost.. here comes frank down the middle.. the POWER back... thats his role... he PLOWS through the middle of the line.. he did his job last season and will do his job this season... you have Lattimore/Hunter/James to run on the outside.. Every team has that 1-2 punch. Hunter is a good back but lets be real we cannot be successful if we cant plow through the middle.. Until Frank proves otherwise .. He's a 49ers!
i do not think there is anyone on the roster as good at pass blocking than gore in regards to the backs. hunter maybe?? not sure
Gore is a solid grinder, but he has no speed. That's been his glaring weakness for years.

I really like Gore, but I don't think we take a step back without him.
Remember those Nolan/Singletary years when we'd be getting smoked, but Frank would be gettin' his and keeping us in the game . And as Frank was running down the field on a long run, my friends and I would look at each other and say "at least we got this guy." How many times did we say this over the years? There's no way we let Frank go, we at least pay him out.
Originally posted by Delinquentwayz:
LMAO you people are really really bored..
Frank has been the heart and soul of this team... when they team needs a boost.. here comes frank down the middle.. the POWER back... thats his role... he PLOWS through the middle of the line.. he did his job last season and will do his job this season... you have Lattimore/Hunter/James to run on the outside.. Every team has that 1-2 punch. Hunter is a good back but lets be real we cannot be successful if we cant plow through the middle.. Until Frank proves otherwise .. He's a 49ers!

We'll the numbers show he slowed down big time at the end of lat year. He didn't do his job in the NFCC.... Or what do you call 14 yards?

Don't mind Frank staying on the team but reduce his salary and cut his carries in half or less. The offense will fare better with less Frank
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Frank has slowed down but he was never a burner. he is still the same back that keeps pounding until he sees that opening for a 25-30-40 yard chunk. thats who hes always been and thats what he was last year, the playcalling didnt help him much at all last year and the lack of receivers really hurt but he was still solid. he knows he has to take a paycut to remain a niner and i think he will. im also all for him getting less carries so we can start grooming lattimore hunter and james as our 3 headed monster but having frank on the team is a benefit not a detraction. if frank isnt greedy, which i dont think he has ever shown he was, he will be on the team and still be a major player/mentor. Gore needs to retire as a niner. if anyone deserves that honor its frank.
When it is time for Frank to hang it up (hopefully not for a couple more years) everyone will pine for the days of #21 carrying the rock.

Some of you guys won't know just how special Gore is until he retires.
Originally posted by crake49:
He's still arguably the best blitz blocker in the league.

Even more, he's the best downfield blocking back in the league. Some of the stuff he pulled off last season was beyond belief. In the Jags game here in London (OK, against the Jags, but still...) he bowled over TWO defenders with one block on Kaep's first TD run.

All that plus 1100-odd yards against 8-man boxes. Cut the bum!

Is it time to start threads on 4WZ with preposterous topics to generate off season traffic for advertisers?

Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Frank has slowed down but he was never a burner. he is still the same back that keeps pounding until he sees that opening for a 25-30-40 yard chunk. thats who hes always been and thats what he was last year, the playcalling didnt help him much at all last year and the lack of receivers really hurt but he was still solid. he knows he has to take a paycut to remain a niner and i think he will. im also all for him getting less carries so we can start grooming lattimore hunter and james as our 3 headed monster but having frank on the team is a benefit not a detraction. if frank isnt greedy, which i dont think he has ever shown he was, he will be on the team and still be a major player/mentor. Gore needs to retire as a niner. if anyone deserves that honor its frank.
^^^^^This right here is a man who knows what he is talking about... anyone else who says otherwise needs to run full speed head first into a wall... I know its the off season and people get antsy ... but you dont keep the locker room in tact by releasing a leader. Frank is our tank.. tanks are not made for speed.. tanks are made to run the f-- out of people and things around them. Frank did that. NFC Championship game Frank did what he could and if we would of went to the superbowl no one would even be talkin about Frank's production.. Keep him a Niner, let the man retire a niner and become the best Back we ever had. You want to start dwindling his carries.. Sure why not.. im down for it. Im glad there are Niner fans like this man right here who are competent and are not going crazy...
Let's keep it real people...
-DW

Kap says, "Release Frank and give me his money."
For all those in the "no" category what is Gore's ypc during the playoffs? And how many of those yards came from Kap's threat on the read-option?
This guy ^ is spot on. Gore is nothing more then a sentiment at this point. He has GIVEN all he's got but the tools just aint there anymore.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I love Fwankie, this should be his last year.
Oh dear.

There are stats and stats. Yards per carry over 16 games is somewhat more meaningful than in three due to simple sample size, so the argument about "production falling off" doesn't really wash. All three playoff games were different in terms of game plan as well. In the Championship game we crossed them in the first half by all those Kaep runs. When they adjusted, our offense failed to adjust. I'm as frustrated as anyone, but putting the blame on Frankie's shoulders when a combination of line play and stupid playcalling was more at fault is not just unfair, it's wrong.

When it comes to skills, Frank is better placed to stay dangerous than other 30 year old backs. His main strengths are vision & patience (they go together) and running REALLY low. Sometimes the fellow is almost parallel to the ground like a torpedo. He hasn't had breakaway speed, true, but he lost that circa 2008, and even in his youth he was never a true burner. I remember him being caught from behind in the 2006 game vs Green Bay for example. Then of course there is the blitz blocking and (particularly impressively) the tremendous downfield blocking. People reference Tomlinson; great as he was in his prime as a yard and TD getter, he wasn't the same type of complete back like Frank.

Finally there are the intangibles: Leadership. Heart. Being an example to the young guys. Keeping him until the end of his contract with no moaning and blackmailing also shows the ownership to be the sort of guys that players would like to play for, like in the Eddie days. They treat an icon of the team like Frank well, and show to others, particularly young, talented others who are due for a new contract next year, that this franchise takes care of its heroes.

We should keep Frank at his salary for the end of his contract. If he then wants to try FA, good for him. My suspicion is that the only deal he will get will be a low one, and I wouldn't be surprised if he came back at a low salary. More likely I would imagine that he retires in 2 years anyway.
Share 49ersWebzone