There are 185 users in the forums

Is it time to release Frank Gore?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is it time to release Frank Gore?

This is like an annual event I look forward to on the zone: the annual, we should cut/trade Frank Gore Thread! LOL. Then every year he plays better than the OP suggested and everyone laughs about the offseason cut/trade Frank Gore thread. Frank is still a good runner. He will be better this year if Lattimore is effective to give him a break. Frank is also an incredible blocker, and can teach the position to Lattimore & Hunter.

So in conclusion, Frank Gore will be a 49er this year.
Ideally, Lattimore/Hampton win the starting runing downs and Gore is in on pass protection and continues flaring out late in the progressions and is actually USED as a pass catcher. He'd tear it up. And Hunter/James is actually used as a speciality, can-do-anything back...an actual weapon.

Then again, the personnel we put on the field is usually the biggest tip to the defense as to what we're about to do so...
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mutant-man49:
Originally posted by cciowa:
i assume you are joking. he did break his finger , am pretty sure it took place before he caught that huge fourth down pass?? if you are not joking then you are pretty sad

Case in point, why was gore not on the field after the catch? When it matters the most, Hunter was getting the reps because he proved more affective. I think it's bs that you use the injury as an excuse for our top back not being on the field when he played with the break in previous plays. Gore would not use the broken finger as an excuse. If it was up to him he would have been in the game. He was pulled and the finger had zero reason to do with it.
you know this for sure? I assume you also know for sure that mike nolan was wearing shades to hide the black eye jamie winborn gave him? i do wish i had your superior deductive instincts
RELEASE Gore?

Uh.... NO.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Ideally, Lattimore/Hampton win the starting runing downs and Gore is in on pass protection and continues flaring out late in the progressions and is actually USED as a pass catcher. He'd tear it up. And Hunter/James is actually used as a speciality, can-do-anything back...an actual weapon.

Then again, the personnel we put on the field is usually the biggest tip to the defense as to what we're about to do so...

Ideally, these release or trade Gore threads will no longer be posted.

Yeah stop specializing. Its a tell for us. Gore plays a few series then lat then hunt. Whoever has the vibe fhat day gets more reps. WhAtz wrong with that?
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Mar 5, 2014 at 11:55 AM ]
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Yeah...lets release our all time leading rusher

lol
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

Yeah stop specializing. Its a tell for us. Gore plays a few series then lat then hunt. Whoever has the vibe fhat day gets more reps. WhAtz wrong with that?

This is what I'm think. I'm confident in the ability of Kendall Hunter and Frank Gore to do it all. I believe Marcus Lattimore will come on strong next season. And I think LaMichael James, based on what he did at Oregon, should at least be given the opportunity to run between the tackles. Using this approach may be a boost the running games, particularly with James and Hunter because defenses are probably looking for the outside runs. This and using all of our running backs as potential receivers would also keep the chains moving on offense. Often times in 2013, the backs weren't even covered in the flats.
Originally posted by cciowa:
you know this for sure? I assume you also know for sure that mike nolan was wearing shades to hide the black eye jamie winborn gave him? i do wish i had your superior deductive instincts
its just common sense. 3 designed runs in the 4th and all go to backs not named Frank Gore. Do you not see it? Broken Finger or not, this is the bell cow of the Niners and it has to being telling that he's not getting called upon in crunch time. But I'm sure you already knew that….

Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
This is like an annual event I look forward to on the zone: the annual, we should cut/trade Frank Gore Thread! LOL. Then every year he plays better than the OP suggested and everyone laughs about the offseason cut/trade Frank Gore thread. Frank is still a good runner. He will be better this year if Lattimore is effective to give him a break. Frank is also an incredible blocker, and can teach the position to Lattimore & Hunter.

So in conclusion, Frank Gore will be a 49er this year.

I think he deserves to win a ring with us

BUT

Walsh would cut him this year, no question. I'm not even sure Gore breaks 1,000 this year, he's absolutely on his last legs. Why is it such a big deal to think we can do better?
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Let me ask everyone that is pro-Gore on this thread. What would you expect to happen to the 49ers if they did cut Gore? Would we have less rushing yards? Would our QB get carried off on a stretcher because there was no one to block for him? Would RB receiving yards decrease? If your answer is the 49ers would be just as effective, then why should we be paying Gore 6 million, keeping backups on the bench? You only keep Gore if you believe that he is better than the backups, and at 6 million, much better.

My personal predictions if Gore was cut:
More rushing yards
Slight decrease in pass blocking
More RB receiving yards

And that is assuming that Lattimore doesn't provide a big contribution.
Originally posted by fryet:
Let me ask everyone that is pro-Gore on this thread. What would you expect to happen to the 49ers if they did cut Gore? Would we have less rushing yards? Would our QB get carried off on a stretcher because there was no one to block for him? Would RB receiving yards decrease? If your answer is the 49ers would be just as effective, then why should we be paying Gore 6 million, keeping backups on the bench? You only keep Gore if you believe that he is better than the backups, and at 6 million, much better.

My personal predictions if Gore was cut:
More rushing yards
Slight decrease in pass blocking
More RB receiving yards

And that is assuming that Lattimore doesn't provide a big contribution.

I'm pro-Gore and I don't know what would happen if we cut him. My gut tells me the rushing yards would be relatively the same. Definite decrease in blitz pickup. We seem to be allergic to throwing to RBs, so receiving yards would be the same.

Gore lead the league last year in 20+ yards runs, so he clearly has something left. Yeah he couldn't get it going against Seattle. That game does not summarize his entire season. Yet another 1,100+ yard season, 4 ypc, 9 TDs. Very good numbers.

I always laugh when people say "Well if you took away Gore's longer runs, his numbers aren't great". Well no duh!!! If you took away Barry Sander's long runs, his numbers would look pretty bad too. There is no RB in the league that literally runs for 4-5 yards every carry. It's far more varied than that. 1,7,2,8,0,3,22,1,4,13,-2,5....that's what RBs do.
Worry less about Gore and worry more about what the heck happened to our run blocking. There is a reason why he got dropped for a loss at a career-high rate last year and it has nothing to do with him losing speed or burst and everything to do with failed playcalling and/or blocking.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
i'm about to release on OP's face.
Share 49ersWebzone