LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 250 users in the forums

Who would be the best choice to replace Harbaugh?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who would be the best choice to replace Harbaugh?

Originally posted by crake49:
Originally posted by Constantine:
why is this up for discussion.

I'm gonna say boredom and wishful thinking on the part of fans who simply do not like Jim Harbaugh.

its not unreasonable to have this discussion. i want to stay long term, but right now we're trying to figure out if he is one of those long term guys, or maybe he is like larry brown the former nba coach who bounced around and never stayed a place too long.
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
Ughhh great the 49ers gave Ed Donatel a two year extension. I guarantee there will be a story tomorrow speculating that the 49ers gave him an extension because he might be the favorite to take over for Harbaugh. Media=Losers
Originally posted by crabman82:
its not unreasonable to have this discussion. i want to stay long term, but right now we're trying to figure out if he is one of those long term guys, or maybe he is like larry brown the former nba coach who bounced around and never stayed a place too long.

I'm just going to point out that if they want him to be like a Larry Brown, one way to do it would be to continue making him the lowest paid coach in the division. Should Chip Kelly be making more than Harbaugh? How about Andy Reid - worth $2.5 million more per year than Harbaugh? And does anyone seriously believe that owner in Miami isn't still ready to dump $10 mil a year on him? He was ready to make him one of the highest paid coaches in the league BEFORE he laid that .760 winning percentage on everyone.
Either Shaw or Tomsula
Originally posted by crake49:
Originally posted by crabman82:

I'm just going to point out that if they want him to be like a Larry Brown, one way to do it would be to continue making him the lowest paid coach in the division. Should Chip Kelly be making more than Harbaugh? How about Andy Reid - worth $2.5 million more per year than Harbaugh? And does anyone seriously believe that owner in Miami isn't still ready to dump $10 mil a year on him? He was ready to make him one of the highest paid coaches in the league BEFORE he laid that .760 winning percentage on everyone.

sure he deserves a pay raise and they're trying to figure out where he should land in all of that. your 2 examples are guys who signed deals with their current clubs after he was already 2 years into his deal. prices change as years go by and things inflate, he deserves a raise no doubt.
Kevin Sumlin!!
Jack Harbaugh anyone?
Originally posted by socalniner:
Jack Harbaugh anyone?
Was jus thinking the same! LOL!
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
First, everyone is replaceable.

Second, there is something to the Baalke/Harbaugh relationship. I believe the media has overblown it. Baalke hired Harbaugh himself. The issues they have, I believe, are of the "healthy" variety. It's OK to disagree, and its normal and natural. Mountains out of molehills here.

Shaw would make the most sense. I wouldn't mind Pete Carmichael. I have reservations about Roman. Fangio is too old and has no interest. Jimmy Tomasula would be super interesting. Rah-Rah coaching doesn't have long term benefits though.

To anyone who wants Cowher, Gruden, Holmgren, Shanahan;

Get over the past. Why do you want a retread? I could care less about personal history (Holmgren/Shanny). Why do you? The game has passed all of them up and wasn't particularly kind to Gruden, Holmgren, or Shanny.

David Shaw (Bawz successor at Stanford)
Pete Carmichael (Saints OC)
Other

Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/177474-who-would-best-choice-replace-harbaugh/page9/#szIKdDWsLvD3sgMk.99

• Hopper
  • Veteran
Pretty sure Sean Payton calls the plays for the Saints. What's so great about Pete Carmichael?
[ Edited by Hopper on Mar 3, 2014 at 1:22 PM ]
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
shaw lacks alpha charisma
Originally posted by Hopper:
Pretty sure Sean Payton calls the plays for the Saints. What's so great about Pete Carmichael?

His system.
Originally posted by GoldandGarnet:
First, everyone is replaceable.

Second, there is something to the Baalke/Harbaugh relationship. I believe the media has overblown it. Baalke hired Harbaugh himself. The issues they have, I believe, are of the "healthy" variety. It's OK to disagree, and its normal and natural. Mountains out of molehills here.

Shaw would make the most sense. I wouldn't mind Pete Carmichael. I have reservations about Roman. Fangio is too old and has no interest. Jimmy Tomasula would be super interesting. Rah-Rah coaching doesn't have long term benefits though.

To anyone who wants Cowher, Gruden, Holmgren, Shanahan;

Get over the past. Why do you want a retread? I could care less about personal history (Holmgren/Shanny). Why do you? The game has passed all of them up and wasn't particularly kind to Gruden, Holmgren, or Shanny.

David Shaw (Bawz successor at Stanford)
Pete Carmichael (Saints OC)
Other

Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/177474-who-would-best-choice-replace-harbaugh/page9/#szIKdDWsLvD3sgMk.99

David Shaw would be a disaster for the 49ers. He's one of the worst in-game HCs I've seen. In the 2012 Fiesta Bowl, Shaw took the ball out of Andrew Luck's hands (after the consensus best player in all of college football drove Stanford down the field for the game-winning TD) and put the game in the hands of a shaky freshman kicker. Worst of all, Shaw never accepts any blame for his mistakes. His ego has become a huge impediment to his improvement as a head coach. The Stanford offense under Shaw is even more anemic and predictable than Roman's offense. Watch the most recent Rose Bowl loss if you need any more evidence. Under Shaw, Stanford QB development has stalled. I'd argue that Kevin Hogan has regressed considerably under Shaw.

So yeah, if you want to win a SB you don't want David Shaw as your HC.
Share 49ersWebzone