LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

Daniel Kilgore Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Yup...Joe Looney, our future starter at LG, is probably next.

Yikes. Big dropoff from Iupati to Joe Looney.....

Looney isn't eligible for an extension till after 2014. I doubt he is in any shape or ready to be the new LG. I see us drafting a Guard soon. Maybe this year, but if not, then in 2015.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
See ya Goodwin
i do wonder if the team will draft a rookie in the 5th round or sign a cheap cheap free agent to back up kilgore? i am very pleased with this move. we took a chance with the longer snapper kid last year whose name i still do not know and it worked fine. god knows he will get lots and lots of practice at center before the bullets start to fly for real
McDermott. Coaches will make sure Kilgore's ready to take over for Goodwin....

thank you, i was preparing myself for us to call jennings again if the kid pissed down his leg but he did nothing wrong!
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
See ya Goodwin
i do wonder if the team will draft a rookie in the 5th round or sign a cheap cheap free agent to back up kilgore? i am very pleased with this move. we took a chance with the longer snapper kid last year whose name i still do not know and it worked fine. god knows he will get lots and lots of practice at center before the bullets start to fly for real
McDermott. Coaches will make sure Kilgore's ready to take over for Goodwin....

thank you, i was preparing myself for us to call jennings again if the kid pissed down his leg but he did nothing wrong!

lol, yeah, the kid was great....
It's underrated moves like this--and the Brock signing--that end up getting us elite players, like Staley and McDonald, on the cheap.
Originally posted by sspiker:
It's underrated moves like this--and the Brock signing--that end up getting us elite players, like Staley and McDonald, on the cheap.

alex boone too, and ian williams

This time next year we might be saying differently. I think Looney has potential to be a long time starter in the NFL.
Originally posted by btthepunk:

This time next year we might be saying differently. I think Looney has potential to be a long time starter in the NFL.

everyone can see iupati has one foot out the door and likely on his last season with us. therefore SD has to take the side of how great he is and proclaim how we cannot let him go. i like iupati, hes a road grader but his pass pro isnt that great,.

I don't. I have my doubts if Looney is even on the team next year. There is a HUGE dropoff in play from Iupati to Looney.
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by sspiker:

alex boone too, and ian williams

Yep, it's a leap of faith but it's helped us get players for about 1/4 to 1/2 of what they are worth.

Here is what we paid these guys on a leap of faith and it's paid off big time. Also because we have such a great team nobody is holding out or asking for more money like they would on a bad team.

Staley (Should be making about twice what he is)
Signed a nine-year, $43.66 million contract. The deal includes $18 million guaranteed. Another $3 million is available through incentives. An annual $200,000 workout bonus is available throughout the life of the deal. 2014: $2.7 million, 2015: $4.5 million, 2016: $5.4 million, 2017: $6.25 million, 2018: Free Agent

Boone (Should be making about 3-4 times what he is)
12/8/2011: Signed a five-year, $7.450 million contract. The deal contains $2.24 million guaranteed, including a $1.7 million signing bonus. Annual $50,000 workout bonuses are available throughout the contract's life. The 49ers paid Boone a $600,000 roster bonus in the 2013 offseason. 2014: $2 million (+ $400,000 roster bonus), 2015: $1.2 million (+ $400,000 roster bonus), 2016: Free Agent

Brock (Keeps playing like he has been should be making 1.5x-2x as much as he is).
11/22/2013: Signed a five-year, $17.323 million contract. The deal contains $7 million guaranteed, including a $3.75 million signing bonus. 2014: $800,000, 2015: $1.85 million, 2016: $2.7 million, 2017: $3.1 million, 2018: Free Agent

McDonald (About 1.5 times as much)
7/29/2011: Signed a five-year, $20 million contract. The deal contains $7 million guaranteed, including a $5 million signing bonus. The 49ers paid McDonald an additional $2.435 million "signing" bonus in the 2013 offseason. 2014: $3.5 million, 2015: $4.1 million, 2016: Free Agent

Ian Williams (Dorsey came along and he likely won't get his starting NT spot back but if he had 1.x a year for a starting NT is so cheap)
3/11/2013: Signed a three-year, $3.755 million contract. The deal contains $2 million guaranteed, including a $1 million signing bonus. 2014: $950,000, 2015: $1 million, 2016: Free Agent
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Feb 27, 2014 at 7:54 PM ]
Originally posted by Overkill:
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
I'm still not sold on Baalke's draft ability (specifically after the last two drafts), but I have plenty of confidence any time the team extends a player. It's difficult to imagine Kilgore not being an upgrade of Goodwin.

This... except I'm not counting on him being an upgrade just yet. The most I know about him is that he didn't embarrass himself as the extra blocker last year. I think its possible they went with Kilgore simply because he's cheaper and they're freeing up as much space as possible for guys like Kaep, Aldon, Crabs, Iupati, etc. I think they're in "every dollar counts" mode.

Well, if this was the case, why extend him? We have plenty of draft picks and that is the low cost option.

Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN 33s 49ers C Daniel Kilgore extension avgs $1.8M per season w/ escalators of $900K available in last two years, plus $900K in incentives in '17.
Originally posted by 9erred:

You have to have completed 3 seasons to be eligible to negotiate a contract extension. Looney only has two seasons.

Oops
Originally posted by SteveYoung:

I don't. I have my doubts if Looney is even on the team next year. There is a HUGE dropoff in play from Iupati to Looney.

Of course there's a drop-off between an all-pro guard and a guy who's played a handful of snaps in his career. But how huge, we really don't know. Thankfully, the coaches/front office have a much better clue than we do, so it seems pretty straightforward: Let Looney take over in 2015 and draft for depth behind him, or target a 1st round guard next year. That's a position that's usually plug-n-play and Baalke has a pretty good track record of finding talented OL.
  • sfout
  • Veteran

You have to have completed 3 seasons to be eligible to negotiate a contract extension. Looney only has two seasons.

Oops

I just assumed you mean't next as in he'll be next in line for this after this season.
Originally posted by sfout:

Oops

I just assumed you mean't next as in he'll be next in line for this after this season.

I wish I meant that.

I forgot he's only had 2 years of service, so I was off.
Share 49ersWebzone