LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 291 users in the forums

Daniel Kilgore Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

This is excellent news. This means that Kilgore has shown enough during games and practice to secure a long term deal. Also means he will be the starting Center for the Niners this season.
  • thl408
I have no idea how good he looks playing Center, but this extension is a good sign he is good enough to stay on the team and compete for that starting spot. Whether the team selects a Center in the first 3 rounds will be very telling of how highly they think of Kilgore..
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
I have no idea how good he looks playing Center, but this extension is a good sign he is good enough to stay on the team and compete for that starting spot. Whether the team selects a Center in the first 3 rounds will be very telling of how highly they think of Kilgore..

I think extending him for 3 years is a good sign. Doubt we draft a Center on day 2.
[ Edited by 4ML on Feb 27, 2014 at 2:51 PM ]
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
I don't recall hearing a single decent report on Kilgore since he's been with the team, and it didn't seem like he did that well in the preseason.

Does anyone else have a better idea about the quality of Kilgore?

or Kaepernick, or Williams, or Brock, the coaches like to play things close to the vest.

I like what they are doing signing dudes that have shown promise in practice, so that way we have them under contract when they start for a while. Nice.

Sets good example for other backup guys to work hard and gets rewarded. And these guys have been making plays when they got playing time. Not like in the Donahue era where they signed then continued to play like the backups that they were.
  • thl408
I don't recall hearing a single decent report on Kilgore since he's been with the team, and it didn't seem like he did that well in the preseason.

He played zero snaps at Center during last season so there's no film of him, at least I didn't find any. He did play TE, but that's irrelevant.
I'm still not sold on Baalke's draft ability (specifically after the last two drafts), but I have plenty of confidence any time the team extends a player. It's difficult to imagine Kilgore not being an upgrade of Goodwin.

This... except I'm not counting on him being an upgrade just yet. The most I know about him is that he didn't embarrass himself as the extra blocker last year. I think its possible they went with Kilgore simply because he's cheaper and they're freeing up as much space as possible for guys like Kaep, Aldon, Crabs, Iupati, etc. I think they're in "every dollar counts" mode.
I've been saying this for a while.

He'll be the starting C and we won't use any picks in rounds 1-4 to get another backup.
  • thl408
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I've been saying this for a while.

He'll be the starting C and we won't use any picks in rounds 1-4 to get another backup.

Based on what are you saying that? Was he good as a Center in the preseason? Honest questions. Just want someone to give some details on his play. Center is not a position I monitor when watching preseason games.

Agreed. And it also may mean they feel good about Looney as well for depth (C was his natural spot). So one of these two are going to make it as the starter. I doubt even if we go a high rookie here, he would start given how complex this system is. And Synder is still here one more year as well. Nice transition from Goodwin to Kilgore. Hope it works out well. I want some nasty in there...some push AND pass protection!
http://www.49ers.com/video/videos/Micd-Up-OL-Daniel-Kilgore-vs-Chiefs/794ebd6d-7905-47bc-bfd9-97163bab3f76

We're all good at center
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Feb 27, 2014 at 3:09 PM ]

He played zero snaps at Center during last season so there's no film of him, at least I didn't find any. He did play TE, but that's irrelevant.

he also lined up out wide on a play this year lol
How long until AB has the numbers on the deal?
Originally posted by SofaKing:
He's an unknown commodity to most of us, but there have been reports that the team is very high on him. The 49ers actually do have a pretty good track record extending guys, and then promoting them to starting positions. Tarell Brown, Alex Boone, Ray McDonald, Ahmad Brooks. Just to name a few.

I'm still not sold on Baalke's draft ability (specifically after the last two drafts), but I have plenty of confidence any time the team extends a player. It's difficult to imagine Kilgore not being an upgrade of Goodwin.

Well you're gonna hate this years draft then (too). In case you didn't notice, we pretty much draft for depth because we don't really need any starters. Looks like Goodwin is gone with Kilgore being extended and we'll be looking for a safety if Whitner isn't resigned (assuming the FO wants to resign him).

....that's about it.
[ Edited by baltien on Feb 27, 2014 at 3:28 PM ]
Hence the reason I didn't think it would be necessary for us to draft a center.
Miller is next.
Share 49ersWebzone