LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 356 users in the forums

Your comeback/breakout players of 2014

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Kaep focuses on his pocket passing this off-season then lights it up with impeccable timing and precision with his receivers. Aldon plays all 19 games this season. Yes, I did just give us a first round bye.
[ Edited by 49ERnation on Feb 27, 2014 at 10:16 AM ]
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by CornellU49er:
While I would not go so far as to say Vance is, or will be, a bust. I was disappointed with his rookie season as well. I think the sentiment comes from how the offense is structured and comparing Vance to Delanie Walker's production (a backup TE on a team where the qb threw to 2 people most of the season).

In our offense we do things backwards from what is traditional. Receivers are primarily used for possession, picking up the tough 3rd and 6 type play. TEs are used as the deep threat, mismatch, source of big plays. In 2012 we had 2 such TEs that could reliably make big plays and scare a defense. This opened up the offense significantly (especially after Kap took over). I think we were all hoping Vance would at least be replacement level for D.Walker, but he wasn't and the offense suffered as a result.

He has all the physical tools to be everything D Walker was and much more, and we need him to be in 2014. In fact, I would go so far as to say the single biggest need we have on offense for the 2014 season is a 2nd reliable big play threat TE for our 2 TE offense (assuming Boldin re-signs as it seems he will). The question is, do you believe Vance will be that for us in 2014? Because without it, I think our offense will continue to struggle mightily against good defenses.

he was a rookie. as a 7 year vet delanie had 21 catches for 344 yards. sure i would have liked to see more out of vance, but go look at gavin escobars stats from dallas, a team that threw 150 more time than we did. escobar was picked 8 spots ahead of vance and essentially had the same stats give or take a few yards and catches.

Like I said, I am not ready to label him a bust. I am hopeful that his sophomore season is a dramatic improvement, because our offense needs it to be. I don't particularly care about Gavin Escobar's production. 8 catches on 19 targets for 119 yards all season is disappointing for a 2nd round TE in a 2 TE heavy offense. I hope (and expect) he makes a big leap in 2014, but I am worried about what our offense will look like if he doesn't and the coaching staff doesn't get him involved.
While I would not go so far as to say Vance is, or will be, a bust. I was disappointed with his rookie season as well. I think the sentiment comes from how the offense is structured and comparing Vance to Delanie Walker's production (a backup TE on a team where the qb threw to 2 people most of the season).

In our offense we do things backwards from what is traditional. Receivers are primarily used for possession, picking up the tough 3rd and 6 type play. TEs are used as the deep threat, mismatch, source of big plays. In 2012 we had 2 such TEs that could reliably make big plays and scare a defense. This opened up the offense significantly (especially after Kap took over). I think we were all hoping Vance would at least be replacement level for D.Walker, but he wasn't and the offense suffered as a result.

He has all the physical tools to be everything D Walker was and much more, and we need him to be in 2014. In fact, I would go so far as to say the single biggest need we have on offense for the 2014 season is a 2nd reliable big play threat TE for our 2 TE offense (assuming Boldin re-signs as it seems he will). The question is, do you believe Vance will be that for us in 2014? Because without it, I think our offense will continue to struggle mightily against good defenses.

he was a rookie. as a 7 year vet delanie had 21 catches for 344 yards. sure i would have liked to see more out of vance, but go look at gavin escobars stats from dallas, a team that threw 150 more time than we did. escobar was picked 8 spots ahead of vance and essentially had the same stats give or take a few yards and catches.

Like I said, I am not ready to label him a bust. I am hopeful that his sophomore season is a dramatic improvement, because our offense needs it to be. I don't particularly care about Gavin Escobar's production. 8 catches on 19 targets for 119 yards all season is disappointing for a 2nd round TE in a 2 TE heavy offense. I hope (and expect) he makes a big leap in 2014, but I am worried about what our offense will look like if he doesn't and the coaching staff doesn't get him involved.

people need to be realistic about a #2 te production. delanie was loved here but he never topped 350 yards in a season. obviously he did other things not seen on a stat sheet.

people need to be realistic about a #2 te production. delanie was loved here but he never topped 350 yards in a season. obviously he did other things not seen on a stat sheet.

I agree. By "big leap" I mean solid run blocker, 20-25 catches, 300-400 yards, 3-5TDs, better catch rate than 8/19, hopefully a handful of chunk plays exploiting mismatches to keep the D honest and open things up underneath. Asking for anything more than that would require us to throw the ball a lot more. I think he's fully capable of this if the coaches make a point to get him involved as they say they will.

Anyway, enough about Vance. Didn't mean to hijack the thread. Carry on.
Chris Culliver.
Does Crabtree count as comeback player? He's going over 1400 yards next season.
Kilgore. He better break out if he's starting.
Originally posted by niners94:
Kilgore. He better break out if he's starting.

He's gonna break out like Boone did. Watch.
LMJ
Originally posted by btthepunk:
He's gonna break out like Boone did. Watch.

I think so too. Another one to keep an eye on is Michael Wilhoite. He'll see extensive time next year while Bowman works his way back. Would be nice to finish next season and have three monster ILB's. I know he's already pretty darn good already but he'll have a chance to blow it up next season.

LATTIMORE
Comeback: Ian Williams

Breakout: Marcus Lattimore
Brandin Cooks..... The Niners number 1 pick
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Kilgore gonna become the best center in the N IF L
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Does Crabtree count as comeback player? He's going over 1400 yards next season.

His contract will be a good problem to have.
Share 49ersWebzone