There are 141 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Your comeback/breakout players of 2014

Didn't see this thread in the first few pages and the search function is offline right now. Anyway, these are my comeback/breakout players of 2014. Feel free to add an explanation for your choices as well.

Offense:
Vance McDonald: I honestly don't know why McDonald had such a bad rookie year. Yes, the passing offense was terrible but I thought for sure he'd get more attention because teams would be more focused on Davis and AB. I'm invested to see what he'll do in Training Camp, but I expect him to have more of an impact this season. Maybe around 500+ yards and 4+ TDs.

Defense:
Chris Culliver: Culliver was my favorite corner coming into the 2013 season -- before his knee injury. Now it's Brock, but I still like his physicality and his toughness. I'm pulling for him to start this season, provided we don't pull off a major trade in May and draft Justin Gilbert (My current draft crush). I'd say 4+ INTs with 10+ pass breakups.
Vance McDonald has bust written all over him. What was he doing when Boldin was out there all alone? It was early in his rookie season, but I expect Patton or even Lattimore to light it up before McDonald does.

I'm excited to see Culliver return.
Quinton Patton and Vance McDonald on offense.

Tank Carradine and Culliver on defense.
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
Vance McDonald has bust written all over him. What was he doing when Boldin was out there all alone? It was early in his rookie season, but I expect Patton or even Lattimore to light it up before McDonald does.

just dropping game winning balls.

Originally posted by ChazBoner:
just dropping game winning balls.

BRB, throw the guy one pass per game and get butt-hurt when he drops it. McDonald had limited opportunities as a receiver, even when he was getting wide open like he was in the NFC Championship Game, where they went to him early, he made a nice play and then he seemingly became invisible for the rest of the game.

From everything Roman and Harbaugh have stated, the mission with McDonald was to develop him as a blocker and that was pretty much it. I think in his second year they'll involve him more frequently in the passing offense. He's a decent route runner and he can really rumble in the open field, him trucking Sherman was one of my favorite moments of the season.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 27, 2014 at 8:50 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Mr. Lattimore.
Kilgore O

Morris D
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Quinton Patton and Vance McDonald on offense.

Tank Carradine and Culliver on defense.

I forgot about Carradine. If he returns to his college form before his injury ... Oh, man, watch out.

i dont understand this sentiment. he was a backup te on a team where the qb threw to 2 people most of the season. i saw him make plays. but i guess a few dropped passes have soured him on a lot of fans.

That GIF of him running over Sherman makes me all kinds of happy
OP, we already have a post on this topic...mods, feel free to merge.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/177158-rising-stars/
Originally posted by crabman82:

i dont understand this sentiment. he was a backup te on a team where the qb threw to 2 people most of the season. i saw him make plays. but i guess a few dropped passes have soured him on a lot of fans.

While I would not go so far as to say Vance is, or will be, a bust. I was disappointed with his rookie season as well. I think the sentiment comes from how the offense is structured and comparing Vance to Delanie Walker's production (a backup TE on a team where the qb threw to 2 people most of the season).

In our offense we do things backwards from what is traditional. Receivers are primarily used for possession, picking up the tough 3rd and 6 type play. TEs are used as the deep threat, mismatch, source of big plays. In 2012 we had 2 such TEs that could reliably make big plays and scare a defense. This opened up the offense significantly (especially after Kap took over). I think we were all hoping Vance would at least be replacement level for D.Walker, but he wasn't and the offense suffered as a result.

He has all the physical tools to be everything D Walker was and much more, and we need him to be in 2014. In fact, I would go so far as to say the single biggest need we have on offense for the 2014 season is a 2nd reliable big play threat TE for our 2 TE offense (assuming Boldin re-signs as it seems he will). The question is, do you believe Vance will be that for us in 2014? Because without it, I think our offense will continue to struggle mightily against good defenses.
Jim Harbaugh
Originally posted by CornellU49er:
While I would not go so far as to say Vance is, or will be, a bust. I was disappointed with his rookie season as well. I think the sentiment comes from how the offense is structured and comparing Vance to Delanie Walker's production (a backup TE on a team where the qb threw to 2 people most of the season).

In our offense we do things backwards from what is traditional. Receivers are primarily used for possession, picking up the tough 3rd and 6 type play. TEs are used as the deep threat, mismatch, source of big plays. In 2012 we had 2 such TEs that could reliably make big plays and scare a defense. This opened up the offense significantly (especially after Kap took over). I think we were all hoping Vance would at least be replacement level for D.Walker, but he wasn't and the offense suffered as a result.

He has all the physical tools to be everything D Walker was and much more, and we need him to be in 2014. In fact, I would go so far as to say the single biggest need we have on offense for the 2014 season is a 2nd reliable big play threat TE for our 2 TE offense (assuming Boldin re-signs as it seems he will). The question is, do you believe Vance will be that for us in 2014? Because without it, I think our offense will continue to struggle mightily against good defenses.

he was a rookie. as a 7 year vet delanie had 21 catches for 344 yards. sure i would have liked to see more out of vance, but go look at gavin escobars stats from dallas, a team that threw 150 more time than we did. escobar was picked 8 spots ahead of vance and essentially had the same stats give or take a few yards and catches.
Ppl still call that a "drop?" A "bust." LOL.

Anyhow, go to the McDonald thread and read up some. Coaches recently said they were very impressed with how much they were able to put on McDonald's plate and plan NEXT year to incorporate him much more into the passing game...duh, dude only had 20 targets in the passing game ALL YEAR LONG. You want to be disappointed, be disappointed in a coaching staff/offensive philsophy that failed to utilize his best ability...or at least balanced it out some. 2 very successful plays against Seattle...then...never used again. Brilliant!