There are 190 users in the forums

Is San Francisco a desirable landing spot for free agents?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is San Francisco a desirable landing spot for free agents?

Originally posted by ChazBoner:
hell no.

I 2nd this.....i wouldve said yes,until all this FO crap came up.
Originally posted by VDpwndMjenkins:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
hell no.

I 2nd this.....i wouldve said yes,until all this FO crap came up.

this team crashed and burned
If they honor what they fight for...

... yes.

No because they don't know what will happen with our HC and GM. Most will avoid it.
Doesn't matter. Baalke loves searching through the bargain bin and scoops up any steals in free agency. I'm glad that we don't go after big name players.
I think its clear that sf can be a great place to revitalize ones career (see Rodgers,j.smith, boldin,whittner,Dorsey.) Although sometimes I feel the staff gets complacent with the roster and don't make upgrades or changes when it is obvious that they are needed.

Exp 1. 2011 not upgrading the wr position after braylon and Morgan went down. Moss was available as was TO yet we went into the playoffs with crabtree hastings swain Williams and a prayer.. Ended up grabbing Moss next year.

Ex2. Brandon Jacobs. He was running really strong in preseason but because of attitude never saw the field. Isn't attitude what you want in a short yardage back?? I knew somehow when we deactivated him or whatever we did that our season would come down to a short yardage situation. That guy has a nose for the end zone in the big game..

Exp3. Crabtree goes down and we don't make a push for Gordon. I think it was irresponsible to proceed last year with bold in as no1 williamsno2.. Patton injured.. The Aldon fiasco was in full swing and Percy Harvin had just been injured so I guess the brass felt it had enough and it wasn't worth the risk , I do feel it stunted kaps growth last year..

I feel we could be more thirsty Whereas the seahawks seem to really take serious the evolution of their weakness. We ARE that close and have been getting soooo close. I can't help but think of how these guys that were available would have helped us in the big game.
[ Edited by matthewabbit on Feb 27, 2014 at 12:33 AM ]
This thread is stupid. For one, we have been pretty active in free agency the past few years. No, we don't make the big splashes but personally I'm glad we don't because it's rarely worth it (see: Percy Harvin). Two, I would argue that we really don't need to sign big name free agents because we simply don't need them.

Barring Whitner resigning I count us needing a starting SS, which we'll likely target in the draft. Aside from that we just need depth at corner and WR. There's not much room for starters on this team IMO.
everyone saying no is a negative nancy
Sign/trade everyone. Thats how to build a franchise.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
We're winning now so people will want to come here.

• Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Perennial contenders, so yes.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
SF is a great spot for FA's. Rogers made 6M last year and wasn't a starting DB. Guys like Wilhoite(sp) and Skuta shined.

I believe the question should read, "is SF a good place for FA's under performing". The answer is a big no.... but not always (see rogers).

The 49ers let guys go that didn't perform. If you're a FA looking for a team to overpay you during your OtJR period. You may want to look at Washington.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
SF is a great spot for FA's. Rogers made 6M last year and wasn't a starting DB. Guys like Wilhoite(sp) and Skuta shined.

I believe the question should read, "is SF a good place for FA's under performing". The answer is a big no.... but not always (see rogers).

The 49ers let guys go that didn't perform. If you're a FA looking for a team to overpay you during your OtJR period. You may want to look at Washington.
We have no need for big free agents. Who is out there that we could fit under the cap would be a big improvement over current roster players or potential draft picks.

I don't want them bringing some high-priced older guys and them making it harder to keep Kap, Crabtree, Aldon etc. Crabtree may be an example of someone who gets replaced by a rookie when he goes to some other loser team that overpays for him and is just trying to buy some credibility (Miami with Wallace last year).

Remember when we were that team and we all wanted Nate Clements and they had to pay him like he was Deion Sanders just because the Niners were brutal?

The Niners have one of, if not the most complete overall lineup in the game, with solid backups in most spots and plenty of picks to keep replacing guys that leave. There is no room or need for FA's.
It is for one reason 1) Real shot at winning the Superbowl

But...

The media disconnect between Baalke and Harbaugh is NOT helping one bit.
Share 49ersWebzone