LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 224 users in the forums

Is San Francisco a desirable landing spot for free agents?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is San Francisco a desirable landing spot for free agents?

Is our FO not interested in big name free agents, or is SF just not where they want to be? I understand we can't afford everyone but the way Seattle can attract free agents the way they do it leads me to wonder what is keeping us from landing these free agents.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
hell no.
what FA have they attracted exactly? when they signed miller and rice to stupid deals they had lots of cap room after doing 300 roster moves in carrolls first year. bennett signed 1 yr 5 mil deal and he also played there back in 2009. avril signed for 2 years 15 mil when he saw the market wasnt as good as he thought it would be.
Is this a real thread? Did we not sign or trade for Justin Smith, Tedd Ginn, Anquan Boldin, and Donte Whitner? ALL Pro-Bowlers, and that's just off the top of my head. A better question is, why do we have to keep having this same asinine conversation every year? Especially when this argument has no basis in reality.

Free agency hasn't even started for Christ's sake.
Originally posted by baltien:
Is this a real thread? Did we not sign or trade for Justin Smith, Tedd Ginn, Anquan Boldin, and Donte Whitner? ALL Pro-Bowlers, and that's just off the top of my head. A better question is, why do we have to keep having this same asinine conversation every year? Especially when this argument has no basis in reality.

Free agency hasn't even started for Christ's sake.

tedd ginn pro bowl?

but the reason we have these convo's all the time is madden/fantasy football. everyone wants the sexy names. the part that bugs me is we still have fans who think thats how we're going to operate. its not 2007 anymore, our roster is stacked and guys we do add are bargin bin types and draft picks. we cant afford to pay everyone that on our own team let alone these top tier guys. we occasionally could land a vet whos at the end who comes on the cheap but thats about it. i'm shocked at how many of our fans are clueless as to our front offices philosophy and how they operate each year in FA.
Are you kidding me?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ERnation:
Is our FO not interested in big name free agents, or is SF just not where they want to be? I understand we can't afford everyone but the way Seattle can attract free agents the way they do it leads me to wonder what is keeping us from landing these free agents.

did you just become a fan today? have you not followed this regime and the way they conduct things in free agency? i am not going to waste my time and energy explaining to you how the niners do things,, if you follow the team you would know that by now. they do not ,nor should they, jump at the first thing with a glittery bow and a billion dollar price tag,, in stead they wait it out , target the right guys,,,,,, oh right I was not going to waste my time. sigh
The days of lockdown and glass are over. The niners aren't a poorly run, desperate for attention, lack of direction type of organization anymore. If FA's wanna come here, at some level they want to win more then they want to get overpaid.

We're good
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by 49ERnation:

did you just become a fan today? have you not followed this regime and the way they conduct things in free agency? i am not going to waste my time and energy explaining to you how the niners do things,, if you follow the team you would know that by now. they do not ,nor should they, jump at the first thing with a glittery bow and a billion dollar price tag,, in stead they wait it out , target the right guys,,,,,, oh right I was not going to waste my time. sigh

theres should be warnings handed out for creating threads dedicated to acquiring players which are completely unrealistic. and an additional warning for not knowing how your own fav team operates. i dont think steeler or packer fans are starting threads about acquiring grade A free agents. they know how their team operates.
It is desirable for people that want to win. Which are the type of guys we want.

Not with the s**tstorm & upheaval that's currently happening.
Either you are a new niner fan or a casual fan. If you actually follow the team these past few years, you would know about all the free agents publicly begging (Nnamdi, Charles Woodson, Costanzo) for the niners to sign them. College players pubicly stating they hope the niners draft them (Patrick Peterson, Honey-Badgher Mathieu). Then you have our own free agents publicly begging the niners to re-sign them.

BTW, how exactly have free agents flocked to the seahawks? Name some that have signed with Seattle over another team given troughly the same salary. Maybe you can list them since you created this wonderful thread.
[ Edited by kronik on Feb 26, 2014 at 6:01 PM ]
Not when we are in the same division as the seahawks tbh. As much as we hate them, other players around the league has seen what is happening.
Originally posted by xela510:
Not when we are in the same division as the seahawks tbh. As much as we hate them, other players around the league has seen what is happening.

what that we lost a 6 point game in the conference championship? some of you guys bend over to easy and expose your buttholes to the hawk fans.
Originally posted by crabman82:
what that we lost a 6 point game in the conference championship? some of you guys bend over to easy and expose your buttholes to the hawk fans.

True, there are some serious cowardly niner fans I noticed lately. So we lost to them on the road (4th straight road game), big whoopee. The sky is falling. BTW, that game we lost to them was also their 4th straight home game at the time. Go figure.

With that being said, I do think Seattle is better. Not by much. But they have fewer weaknesses. We had 3 to 4 big old weaknesses last year:

- Center Johnathan Goodwin - Old and slow and got overpowered much too often.. especially against SEA
- Iupati/Snyder combination - Iupati did not play well this year. But when he was hurt, Snyder (his replacement) was even worse.
- Whitner , the guy just does not have the discipline or talent needed for coverage. Very over-rated run defender as well
- Rogers - Possibly the entire team's weakest link. On 3rd downs, opposing teams were smart & successful when attacking whoever Rogers tried to defend.
[ Edited by kronik on Feb 26, 2014 at 5:54 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone