There are 203 users in the forums

Which head coach firing was the worst mistake made by niner ownership

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Which head coach firing was the worst mistake made by niner ownership

Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by K1ngCoopa24:
They did the dirty Sanchez firing Mooch. Just straight wrong.

his firing was completely justified. Mooch proved he was a giant vagina in the NFC divisional playoff game vs the Buccaneers in 2002. he let the team quit with more than 2 minutes left in the first half.

Totally agree. Sure, in hindsight if you had to make a choice between Mariucci and the bonehead they replaced him with, then yeah it was the wrong move. I'm probably in the minority, but just never cared too much for Mariucci...actually believe to a certain extent TO had a point when he got so p**sed after the Bears game in 2001 and said Mariucci didn't want to run up the score on his buddy Jauran, then Bears ended up winning in OT...and his "no killer instinct" after Redskins game in 2002. And then in a playoff game that you're losing, you have decent field position at your own 30 and close to a minute left, but you just let the clock run out? Such a bad look. He did some good things with the Niners, but it was time for him to go.
[ Edited by DelCed2486 on Feb 27, 2014 at 9:32 PM ]
Originally posted by Kezar1965:
http://www.ninersnation.com/2009/3/6/782886/49ers-year-by-year-1978

TO: CCiowa and others of stern stuff, read the above article if you must, I had to have a stiff drink to do it.

Delvin Williams gotten rid of to miami because the great joe Thomas traded for O J Simpson.

Looking back on the joe Thomas era it was shorter than Nolan/singletary era but way more fved-up. Truly the worst era of all time.

I was one heartbroke kid when they traded Delvin Williams, he was my favorite on offense and Hardman on defense. But the Williams trade did bring Freddie Solomon to the 49ers, and a couple draft picks although no idea who they ended up getting.
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Totally agree. Sure, in hindsight if you had to make a choice between Mariucci and the bonehead they replaced him with, then yeah it was the wrong move. I'm probably in the minority, but just never cared too much for Mariucci...actually believe to a certain extent TO had a point when he got so p**sed after the Bears game in 2001 and said Mariucci didn't want to run up the score on his buddy Jauran, then Bears ended up winning in OT...and his "no killer instinct" after Redskins game in 2002. And then in a playoff game that you're losing, you have decent field position at your own 30 and close to a minute left, but you just let the clock run out? Such a bad look. He did some good things with the Niners, but it was time for him to go.

I'll never forget that loss to the Bears. We were up 28-9 at one point after Zach Bronson scored a TD, IIRC. Of course the rest is history, but that team was 4-1 at the time, and ended up finishing 12-4 (we also lost a winnable game against the Cowboys and Quincy Carter).

That still would have put that team behind STL in the division, but we would not have had to go to Lambeau in the Wild Card round.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kezar1965:
http://www.ninersnation.com/2009/3/6/782886/49ers-year-by-year-1978

TO: CCiowa and others of stern stuff, read the above article if you must, I had to have a stiff drink to do it.

Delvin Williams gotten rid of to miami because the great joe Thomas traded for O J Simpson.

Looking back on the joe Thomas era it was shorter than Nolan/singletary era but way more fved-up. Truly the worst era of all time.
It was like Thomas was trying to purposely destroy the team. It is a miracle the team recovered as fast as it did especially trading away 5 high draft pics for a washed up OJ Simpson.
Erickson. He was just starting to get into a groove.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGod:
Erickson. He was just starting to get into a groove.

Mooch ....had he not taken a knee in the first half against the Bucs in the playoffs, he might have kept his job, but then again our squad might not have had anything left in the tank after the epic comeback against the Giants
Originally posted by LayTheWoodall:
Originally posted by DelCed2486:

I'll never forget that loss to the Bears. We were up 28-9 at one point after Zach Bronson scored a TD, IIRC. Of course the rest is history, but that team was 4-1 at the time, and ended up finishing 12-4 (we also lost a winnable game against the Cowboys and Quincy Carter).

That still would have put that team behind STL in the division, but we would not have had to go to Lambeau in the Wild Card round.

Yeah, that Bears game was a tough one to lose, knocked Bears' starter (Jim Miller) out of the game, huge lead in 3rd qtr...but then Mariucci started trying to run out the clock (hmm...some things never change, aint that right HaRo???) and Shane Mathews came in to have a career day. And you're exactly right, being 12-4 instead of 13-3 put them on the road at Lambeau, which during the Favre era was a guaranteed 'L' for the 49ers.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Mooch ....had he not taken a knee in the first half against the Bucs in the playoffs, he might have kept his job, but then again our squad might not have had anything left in the tank after the epic comeback against the Giants

he was to worried about being buddy buddy with the media.. here lets give lawrence phillips a big sloppy hug after the bum ran for a score on some worthless MNF game, that is when i began to turn on "mooch"
Share 49ersWebzone