There are 181 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Which head coach firing was the worst mistake made by niner ownership

Which head coach firing was the worst mistake made by niner ownership

Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
It will be Harbaugh if the media keeps fu**ing with us....

i think there is plenty of blame to go around from all parties involved, media, JH, the niners front office, social media and people like me who do not need a reason to get stirred up about something

I just hope our FO is taking care if the people who brought us out the bottom if the barrell
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
It will be Harbaugh if the media keeps fu**ing with us....

i think there is plenty of blame to go around from all parties involved, media, JH, the niners front office, social media and people like me who do not need a reason to get stirred up about something

I just hope our FO is taking care if the people who brought us out the bottom if the barrell
they are part of the reason we came out of the sewer and maybe that is a small piece of the pie . sure JH is the head of the rattlesnake but others played a role to. again who the heck knows what is going on behind the scenes,, you certainly do hope they are communicating and at least setting the stage for some type of an extension and pay raise down the road
Originally posted by dj43:
For anyone old enough to remember, the Monte Clark firing was worse than Mariucci.

Tell us about it, grandpa!
  • titan
  • Veteran
Mooch.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by midrdan:
Of all the coaches that were fired, I would say Mooch. But if we broaden it to include what coaching situation was the worst mistake by ownership, then my list is as follows:

1. Bill Walsh retirement in 1988. I know Walsh contributed to his own burn out, but he deeply regretted leaving in 1988 and Eddie D. basically refused to give him time to reflect on the season before making his decision. Eddie had as much to do with Walsh leaving as Walsh did.

2. Current Harbaugh situation. They have one of the top 5 coaches in the game and they are refusing to give him a raise or concede him greater control over personnel decisions. They have no back up plan. No, Jim Tomsula is not a back up plan. More importantly, they have let the media run wild with this story.

3. Hiring Seifert. This may be controversial. After all, he did lead the Niners to a title in '94 (I count '89 as a Bill Walsh title - easiest head coaching job this side of Barry Switzer). But their commitment to Seifert caused both Holmgren and Shanahan to leave for head coaching positions elsewhere. For a West Coast team, letting two brilliant offensive coordinators and disciples of Walsh to leave the building in favor of a defensive coordinator was not wise, especially Holmgren, who is from SF. Holmgren would have netted us another title or two, in my opinion.

4. Firing Mariucci. Not saying Mariucci was brilliant. He was a very good coach. But the FO had no back up plan. Inexcusable.

So when Seifert was a Superbowl winning coach they were going to say what? We want the offensive coordinator to take over because this is SF and we like offensive coaches better? Or do you think they should have hired the QB coach (holmgren) with 3 years NFL coaching experience over Seifert? And no they weren't going to fire or force to retire a TWO time Superbowl winning coach for a OC who had an 8-12 record with the LA Raiders. Holmgren and Shanahan i would put in the same coaching class as Seifert so in no way do i think those two would of been an upgrade or would of lead us to more Superbowl titles.
Originally posted by crabman82:
i like mooch, but i felt his message had run its course with this team. i wanted him fired after the loss in tampa.

Right?! After how they played the 1st half and gives up like that was embarrassing
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by dj43:
For anyone old enough to remember, the Monte Clark firing was worse than Mariucci.

Tell us about it, grandpa!

had willie mcgee not busted his leg when we were 6-1 we would have made a deep run in the playoffs,, with that defense we had, i bet we could have won the super bowl that year with plunkett managing a 16-0 win, had a great rush attack with delvin and wilbur, gene washington on one side, mcgee on the other , kwalik at tight end,, lord with that front 4 you never had to score much. all went south in the second half
The Monte Clark firing was IMHO the biggest disaster in 49er history. Some context to why it happened.

had willie mcgee not busted his leg when we were 6-1 we would have made a deep run in the playoffs,, with that defense we had, i bet we could have won the super bowl that year with plunkett managing a 16-0 win, had a great rush attack with delvin and wilbur, gene washington on one side, mcgee on the other , kwalik at tight end,, lord with that front 4 you never had to score much. all went south in the second half

Not only were the 9ers playing good ball, the momentum of the whole franchise was extremely good. The morabito sister were selling the club which was good. They didn't have the financial resources to play with the big boys of the league.
So eddie d bought the club and turned to that noted lover of the 49ers, AL Davis, for advice. Joe Thomas was al's guy for the 9ers.

A bit of the wikipeia on joe Thomas:

[i](Thomas) was fired by team owner Joe Robbie. Prior to the next campaign, he arranged for Robert Irsay to purchase the Los Angeles Rams for $19 million before exchanging them for Carroll Rosenbloom's Baltimore Colts in the most bizarre transaction in NFL history.[3] As a result of this deal, Thomas became general manager of the Colts. After a 5â€"9â€"0 finish in 1972, the first losing record in sixteen years, Thomas began rebuilding the team, albeit controversially. It all started on January 22, 1973 when Johnny Unitas was traded to the San Diego Chargers. During the next ten days, Tom Matte would follow Unitas to San Diego, Bill Curry was sent to the Houston Oilers, Billy Newsome to the New Orleans Saints, Norm Bulaich to the Philadelphia Eagles and Jerry Logan to the Rams.[4] By the end of 1976, he had had five different head coaches in his five-year tenure, having fired Super Bowl V-winning coach Don McCafferty after just five games in 1972. then following him with John Sandusky, Howard Schnellenberger. Thomas himself, and Ted Marchibroda. When he targeted Marchibroda next, despite two straight Colts playoff seasons, Irsay had had enough and fired Thomas.

Thomas then was hired as GM of the San Francisco 49ers in 1977 by new owner Eddie DeBartolo at the recommendation of Al Davis and immediately fired head coach Monte Clark.[5] The 49ers went 7-23 in Thomas' two seasons with the franchise, and his biggest trade, a series of 5 high draft picks for O.J. Simpson, was a colossal bust, as Simpson proved to be washed up. Thomas also fired two more head coaches, Ken Meyer and Pete McCulley, and Thomas' third hire, Fred O'Connor, was fired along with Thomas at the end of the 1978 season.

I still get pissed off thinking about how Davis punked Eddie D!!! Davis knew Thomas was a total disaster who would wreck the 9ers. How hard Davis must haved laughed at us can only be known behind the closed boardroom doors of the raiders. Davis Sabotaged the niners. it still burns. Then -Surprise- Jim plunkett, ends up with the raiders. Under Monte Clark plunkett might have won a superbowl for the 9ers instead of the raiders.

May AL Davis rot in hell.

That is why this firing was the worst in 9er history, it was the first act in the joe Thomas era. Come to think of it, May Joe Thomas rot in hell.

Now that article linked at the beginning:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2245&dat=19541214&id=Q4ozAAAAIBAJ&sjid=--4HAAAAIBAJ&pg=2820,1501272

is worth reading. Also, Use the cursor grabhand and read the article to the left titled "Morabito should be fired instead of Shaw.

Our franchise heritage for head coaches started with "It's all your fault we we didn't win the title - YOUR FIRED!
you couldn't make this stuff up.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kezar1965:
The Monte Clark firing was IMHO the biggest disaster in 49er history. Some context to why it happened.

Not only were the 9ers playing good ball, the momentum of the whole franchise was extremely good. The morabito sister were selling the club which was good. They didn't have the financial resources to play with the big boys of the league.
So eddie d bought the club and turned to that noted lover of the 49ers, AL Davis, for advice. Joe Thomas was al's guy for the 9ers.

A bit of the wikipeia on joe Thomas:

[i](Thomas) was fired by team owner Joe Robbie. Prior to the next campaign, he arranged for Robert Irsay to purchase the Los Angeles Rams for $19 million before exchanging them for Carroll Rosenbloom's Baltimore Colts in the most bizarre transaction in NFL history.[3] As a result of this deal, Thomas became general manager of the Colts. After a 5â€"9â€"0 finish in 1972, the first losing record in sixteen years, Thomas began rebuilding the team, albeit controversially. It all started on January 22, 1973 when Johnny Unitas was traded to the San Diego Chargers. During the next ten days, Tom Matte would follow Unitas to San Diego, Bill Curry was sent to the Houston Oilers, Billy Newsome to the New Orleans Saints, Norm Bulaich to the Philadelphia Eagles and Jerry Logan to the Rams.[4] By the end of 1976, he had had five different head coaches in his five-year tenure, having fired Super Bowl V-winning coach Don McCafferty after just five games in 1972. then following him with John Sandusky, Howard Schnellenberger. Thomas himself, and Ted Marchibroda. When he targeted Marchibroda next, despite two straight Colts playoff seasons, Irsay had had enough and fired Thomas.

Thomas then was hired as GM of the San Francisco 49ers in 1977 by new owner Eddie DeBartolo at the recommendation of Al Davis and immediately fired head coach Monte Clark.[5] The 49ers went 7-23 in Thomas' two seasons with the franchise, and his biggest trade, a series of 5 high draft picks for O.J. Simpson, was a colossal bust, as Simpson proved to be washed up. Thomas also fired two more head coaches, Ken Meyer and Pete McCulley, and Thomas' third hire, Fred O'Connor, was fired along with Thomas at the end of the 1978 season.

I still get pissed off thinking about how Davis punked Eddie D!!! Davis knew Thomas was a total disaster who would wreck the 9ers. How hard Davis must haved laughed at us can only be known behind the closed boardroom doors of the raiders. Davis Sabotaged the niners. it still burns. Then -Surprise- Jim plunkett, ends up with the raiders. Under Monte Clark plunkett might have won a superbowl for the 9ers instead of the raiders.

May AL Davis rot in hell.

That is why this firing was the worst in 9er history, it was the first act in the joe Thomas era. Come to think of it, May Joe Thomas rot in hell.

Now that article linked at the beginning:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2245&dat=19541214&id=Q4ozAAAAIBAJ&sjid=--4HAAAAIBAJ&pg=2820,1501272

is worth reading. Also, Use the cursor grabhand and read the article to the left titled "Morabito should be fired instead of Shaw.

Our franchise heritage for head coaches started with "It's all your fault we we didn't win the title - YOUR FIRED!
you couldn't make this stuff up.
help me with what happened to our players after 8-6 and monte got fired.. i think hardman eventually wound up in oakland. jimmy johnson retired,, gene washington i think ended up in cleveland.. tommy hart got hurt and never got back,, willie mcgee vanished after he busted his leg. i think delvin williams eventually went to miami for freddie soloman. not sure about wilbur jackson . after 1976 it was a f**king disaster
http://books.google.com/books?id=SgSbW3H3o1UC&pg=PA136&lpg=PA136&dq=gene+washington+goes+to+detroit+lions&source=bl&ots=jnrHFzyMLX&sig=vZtPG7kNmhAnpsRhd39gOpBoQFo&hl=en&sa=X&ei=9ewPU_emONDtoATo64GgAg&ved=0CCMQ6AEwADg8#v=onepage&q=gene%20washington%20goes%20to%20detroit%20lions&f=false

Gene Washington injured and did not play in 1978. signed with Detroit in 1979 - played very little. then retired.
followed monte clark to Detroit.
Willie McGee also followed monte clark to Detroit but only played in 4 games in 1978. then retired.
Both guys were just to injured to continue their careers. makes you appreciate todays surgeons and newer techniques
[ Edited by Kezar1965 on Feb 27, 2014 at 6:30 PM ]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Hart

Tommy hart traded before the 1978 season to DA BEARS. Another great move by the wonderful joe Thomas.

CCiowa great read on the 1976 team for ya,
http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/WHERE-ARE-THEY-NOW-Cedrick-Hardman-Hardman-s-2525146.php

cedrick hardman traded to raiders in 1979. not sure whether joe Thomas or the new bill walsh regime made the trade.
[ Edited by Kezar1965 on Feb 27, 2014 at 6:46 PM ]
http://www.ninersnation.com/2009/3/6/782886/49ers-year-by-year-1978

TO: CCiowa and others of stern stuff, read the above article if you must, I had to have a stiff drink to do it.

Delvin Williams gotten rid of to miami because the great joe Thomas traded for O J Simpson.

Looking back on the joe Thomas era it was shorter than Nolan/singletary era but way more fved-up. Truly the worst era of all time.
Originally posted by AUniner:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

Mooch looks like he has short arms. Baalke does not want

This pic should be made into a caption this thread so many possibilities
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kezar1965:
http://www.ninersnation.com/2009/3/6/782886/49ers-year-by-year-1978

TO: CCiowa and others of stern stuff, read the above article if you must, I had to have a stiff drink to do it.

Delvin Williams gotten rid of to miami because the great joe Thomas traded for O J Simpson.

Looking back on the joe Thomas era it was shorter than Nolan/singletary era but way more fved-up. Truly the worst era of all time.
thank you for the input. i was a teen at the time and really enjoyed the first half of that year. ten sacks i think vs the rams. great great battle with the best front four ol in the cardinals that year and we won. the only good thing was getting freddie solomon for delvin. i think we also signed a coked up holly wood henderson. i remember watching cedrick hardman return a fumble for a td on MNF as a raider and getting really pissed some of the young uns here could google nfl highlights 1976 and would see some really good niner stuff via you tube from the 8-6 season, esp when we were at 6-1, i just remember willie mcgee came out of nowhere and was a pure sensation for 7 games
Tomsula was the worst demotion. The guy had a perfect record with us as head coach