LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

If it comes down to it, who would you rather have?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

If it comes down to it, who would you rather have?

Originally posted by gold49digger:
This is all Romans fault. His faulty play calling is making us doubt Harbaugh.

Seattle fans are probably laughing at us right now..

Who chose to keep Roman around?
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Truth? You mean your opinion.

The TRUTH is that we'll never know. But the best inidcator of the future is to look at the past and JH has won everywhere he went.

Did he win a SuperBowl as a player?
Did he win a National Championship as a NCAA coach?
Did he win a SuperBowl as a HC?

Coming in 2nd place year after year counts for sweet jack all.

I'd rather be in the hunt year after year then be in the toilet year after year.
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
He has turned every program around at every stop he has been at

And loses every big game he has been in when it counts.

Is is also debatable who should be credited for our success. Like I said, would Harbaugh be able to take Cleveland this year and turn them around so quickly?

The same question was asked in 2011 when he signed with us. And we went 13-3.
Baalke. Jim has some great strengths, but he also has some weakness re: applying the talent on the roster depth. I can see someone like Gruden exploiting the tools on offense in a more traditional West Coast style more successfully, that's for sure.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
The thing for me is, I think JH helps this 49ers team More Psychologically then he does x's and o's. Having said that, basically the same 49er team went 8-8 and 6-10 under Dinglebary and yet Harbaugh was a Good Enough coach to win 36 games in 3 years with a SB appearance also. Is there even a reason this should be debated?? I'd give Harbaugh a 3 year $25million extension and let him have a say in FAs and drafts too. Not all the say but some say.

You mean this team that Baalke in-herited?

Offense
QB (3): Alex Smith, David Carr, Nate Davis
RB (3): Frank Gore, Brian Westbrook
FB (1): Moran Norris
WR (5): Michael Crabtree, Josh Morgan, Ted Ginn Jr, Dominique Zeigler
TE (3): Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker, Nate Byham
LT (2): Joe Staley, Barry Sims
LG (1):
C :
RG (2): Chilo Rachal, Tony Wragge
RT (1): Adam Snyder, Alex Boone

Defense

DE (4): Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Demetric Evans
DT (2): Issac Sopoago, Ricky Jean Francois
OLB (4): Parys Haralson, Ahmad Brooks, Travis LaBoy, Diyral Briggs
ILB: Patrick Willis
CB (5): Shawntae Spencer, Tarell Brown, Will James, Phillip Adams, Tramaine Brock
FS (2): Dashon Goldson, Reggie Smith
SS (1): Curtis Taylor

Special Teams
K:
P: Andy Lee
LS: Brian Jennings

Wow...what a star studded cast!!
Originally posted by captveg:
Baalke. Jim has some great strengths, but he also has some weakness re: applying the talent on the roster depth. I can see someone like Gruden exploiting the tools on offense in a more traditional West Coast style more successfully, that's for sure.

I will say, I do LOVE Gruden as a coach and I do feel Gruden could do well here too as a coach.

Because Baalke built the damn team.

Because Baalke built the damn team.

So anyone could of led that 2011 squad to the NFCC?

I don't think so. It takes a great coach like JH to take a crappy organization and turn them around in one season. Baalke could draft great players until the cows come home but they are useless without a good coach.

JH turned us from a team that couldn't reach the playoffs, despite Baalkes talented roster, into a perennial super bowl contender.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Feb 24, 2014 at 6:51 PM ]

I don't think so. It takes a great coach like JH to take a crappy organization and turn them around in one season. Baalke could draft great players until the cows come home but they are useless without a good coach.

What about signings? Those don't count? Whitner. Goodwin. Akers. Rogers. Draftees Davis, Iupati, Bowman, Smith, Miller, Culliver, Reid. It goes on and on.

And by your logic explain to me how Barry Switzer won the SB in his 2nd year in Dallas? Was it due to his great coaching or the All-Star team he inherited?

Harbaugh wouldn't have had any better success than Singletary because our TEAM was void of talent.

Put Harbaugh on the 2007 Niners would he have success?
[ Edited by SteveYoung on Feb 24, 2014 at 6:53 PM ]

What about signings? Those don't count? Whitner. Goodwin. Akers. Rogers.

And by your logic explain to me how Barry Switzer won the SB in his 2nd year in Dallas? Was it due to his great coaching or the All-Star team he inherited?

As for free agent signings, yes Baalke has done well. He is a good GM. But like i said, he can sign all the talent in to world. You need a good coach to put it all together and make everyone play at a higher level.

lol Switzer inherited a SUPER BOWL TEAM. They were already put together by Jimmy johnson. Its like the 1990 49ers. That was Walsh's team.

Harbaugh inherited a hot mess... You can't see the difference between the 1994 cowboys and the 2010 49ers?

Harbaugh on the 2007 probably wouldn't go 5-11.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Feb 24, 2014 at 6:55 PM ]

lol Switzer inherited a SUPER BOWL TEAM.

Harbaugh inherited a hot mess... You can't see the difference between the 1994 cowboys and the 2010 49ers?

Baalke didn't inherit that same mess?

My point is, give John Gruden this current team and I guarantee we are as good, if not better. Much like how Barry Switzer inherited the Cowboys.

Not to mention how better we will be with 4 premium picks from the Dolphins in the trade.
[ Edited by SteveYoung on Feb 24, 2014 at 6:56 PM ]
Has to be Baalke, because even if he has Baalke removed from the situation Harbaugh's still likely a short term coach. Baalke is a good GM and far more likely to be the long term Niner. The personalities and reality make this decision for us.

In a perfect world give me Harbaugh 11 times out of 10. In the real world though, I think the team would benefit more in the long run from keeping Baalke and putting your trust in Tomsula. That could be a combo for the next decade, where I just can't see Harbaugh a long term Niner. His personality is just too abrasive.
lol Switzer inherited a SUPER BOWL TEAM.

Baalke didn't inherit that same mess?

Baalke was already there assembling the team. He was the head scout then took over for Scotty. They promoted Baalke the year we signed JH.

Our team was not a cohesive as a unit. JH made the 53 man roster, who Baalke helped to put together, into a super bowl contending powerhouse.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Feb 24, 2014 at 6:57 PM ]

We're comparing the 1994 Cowboys to the 2014 Niners, not the 2010 Niners.

Johnson > Switzer to Harbaugh > theoretical successor.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Has to be Baalke, because even if he has Baalke removed from the situation Harbaugh's still likely a short term coach. Baalke is a good GM and far more likely to be the long term Niner. The personalities and reality make this decision for us.

In a perfect world give me Harbaugh 11 times out of 10. In the real world though, I think the team would benefit more in the long run from keeping Baalke and putting your trust in Tomsula. That could be a combo for the next decade, where I just can't see Harbaugh a long term Niner. His personality is just too abrasive.

Exactly. In a vacuum you pick Harbaugh.... if that means he will commit to coach the team for another decade. But with the likelihood that choosing Harbaugh over Baalke means you will have neither in 2-3 more years anyway - because everything points to Harbaugh being the one unhappy party that must move on to a new location every 3-5 years - then you must choose to keep Baalke. Let Baalke keep the talent coming in, and try to find another solid coach that can use them appropriately, and perhaps even better.
[ Edited by captveg on Feb 24, 2014 at 7:00 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone