LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 250 users in the forums

If it comes down to it, who would you rather have?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

If it comes down to it, who would you rather have?

Why this is even a debate is beyond me. You pick Harbaugh every day of the week unless you are so insecure as a man that it isn't good enough for you to take credit for hiring the right coach and getting out of his way, you must be like Jerry Jones and prove you can win with anybody.

Jed York needs to learn from his uncle and from history - the coach with the right system will find the players to excel in that system. A GM with a great eye for talent will not be effective if he is constantly changing coaches and systems. Yes, the top 15 players on your roster may be awesome in any system. But the other 35 players may be worthless under a new coach and new system. Harbaugh has a proven system. Let him find the players to maximize it.

Eddie D. gave the franchise to Bill Walsh. The Giants gave the franchise to Bill Parcells. The Patriots gave the franchise to Belichick. You think Walsh, Parcells, and Belichick were universally loved by all of their players and front office personnel? You think Eddie or Bob Kraft would ship out Walsh or Belichick in favor of some former scout turned personnel executive?

Harbaugh is controversial and may rub people the wrong way - so get rid of those players and personnel that don't like him and fill the voids with Harbaugh's guys.
Baalke is entirely overrated. He gets credit for A. Smith (at the time a "reach" at No. 7) and Bowman (3rd Round, All-Pro) as far as I'm concerned. Drafting two first round graded OL in 2010 when our biggest need was OL was not genius. 2012 was entirely worthless. P. Willis, Gore, V. Davis, Staley, J. Smith, McDonald, Crabtree ... all here before Baalke got started. 2013 may prove to be a great draft if Carradine and Lattimore become studs, but part of me would have rather had two more high draft picks actually playing in the NFC Championship game versus sitting on the bench holding up "2014 signs"
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
You guys are flat out insane

Here are the players that Baalke took over after the 2010 season. Does this look like an All-Star squad? It is a mess and fully transformed by Baalke and Baalke alone.

Offense
QB (3): Alex Smith, David Carr, Nate Davis
RB (3): Frank Gore, Brian Westbrook
FB (1): Moran Norris
WR (5): Michael Crabtree, Josh Morgan, Ted Ginn Jr, Dominique Zeigler
TE (3): Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker, Nate Byham
LT (2): Joe Staley, Barry Sims
LG (1):
C (1):
RG (2): Chilo Rachal, Tony Wragge
RT (1): Adam Snyder, Alex Boone

5 capable starters on offense.

Defense
DE (4): Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Demetric Evans, Ray McDonald
DT (2): Issac Sopoago, Ricky Jean Francois
OLB (5): Parys Haralson, Ahmad Brooks, Travis LaBoy, Diyral Briggs
ILB (3): Patrick Willis
CB (6): Shawntae Spencer, Tarell Brown, Will James, Phillip Adams, Tramaine Brock
FS (2): Dashon Goldson, Reggie Smith
SS (3): Curtis Taylor

7 capable starters on D

Special Teams
K:
P: Andy Lee
LS: Brian Jennings

-He cut Nate Clements and Eric Heitman. David Baas signed with the Giants. Takeo Spikes signed with SD. Manny Lawson signed in Cincinatti. Aubrayo Franklin signed in New Orleans. Nedney retired.
-He traded away Taylor Mays
-He signed starters Carlos Rogers, Donte Whitner and Jon Goodwin. And signed David Akers who went on to have a Pro Bowl season.
-Rookies that he drafted in 2010: Mike Iupati, Anthony Davis and Navarro Bowman were named starters.
-Rookies that he drafted in 2011: Aldon Smith and Bruce Miller were named starters while Culliver, Hunter and Kilgore became solid role players.
-Colin Kaepernick became a franchise QB for us in 2012
-He traded Alex Smith for two 2nd round picks
-He traded a 6th for Boldin who had the best season for a WR in 10 years for us.
-He signed Glenn Dorsey to shore up our NT position.
-He drafted a rookie safety who made the Pro Bowl and another WR with loads of potential in Patton. If Carradine pans out he will be a steal where we got him. Same for Lattimore.
-And we have 12 draft picks to play with this year.

IMO, it's an easy decision who we should keep. The way Baalke has transformed this roster in basically the first year he took over is nothing short of amazing.

Yes he traded Mays. He also drafted him with a 2nd rounder. Yes the 49ers drafted Kap - Baalke wanted Dalton. Yes Carradine and Lattimore have potential ... that sat on the bench in the playoffs for a team that probably could have used two more young, highly drafted players this year. Yes, he drafted Bruce Miller - as a defensive end, who Harbaugh promptly converted to TE/H-Back. He let Ginn go, meaning we spent pretty much all season with Kyle Williams doing nothing on special teams and no vertical threat.

And to say Boone, Ginn, and Brock aren't capable starters ... dude you're just not seeing the same team as I am.
You guys are flat out insane

Here are the players that Baalke took over after the 2010 season. Does this look like an All-Star squad? It is a mess and fully transformed by Baalke and Baalke alone.

Offense
QB (3): Alex Smith, David Carr, Nate Davis
RB (3): Frank Gore, Brian Westbrook
FB (1): Moran Norris
WR (5): Michael Crabtree, Josh Morgan, Ted Ginn Jr, Dominique Zeigler
TE (3): Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker, Nate Byham
LT (2): Joe Staley, Barry Sims
LG (1):
C (1):
RG (2): Chilo Rachal, Tony Wragge
RT (1): Adam Snyder, Alex Boone

5 capable starters on offense.

Defense
DE (4): Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Demetric Evans, Ray McDonald
DT (2): Issac Sopoago, Ricky Jean Francois
OLB (5): Parys Haralson, Ahmad Brooks, Travis LaBoy, Diyral Briggs
ILB (3): Patrick Willis
CB (6): Shawntae Spencer, Tarell Brown, Will James, Phillip Adams, Tramaine Brock
FS (2): Dashon Goldson, Reggie Smith
SS (3): Curtis Taylor

7 capable starters on D

Special Teams
K:
P: Andy Lee
LS: Brian Jennings

-He cut Nate Clements and Eric Heitman. David Baas signed with the Giants. Takeo Spikes signed with SD. Manny Lawson signed in Cincinatti. Aubrayo Franklin signed in New Orleans. Nedney retired.
-He traded away Taylor Mays
-He signed starters Carlos Rogers, Donte Whitner and Jon Goodwin. And signed David Akers who went on to have a Pro Bowl season.
-Rookies that he drafted in 2010: Mike Iupati, Anthony Davis and Navarro Bowman were named starters.
-Rookies that he drafted in 2011: Aldon Smith and Bruce Miller were named starters while Culliver, Hunter and Kilgore became solid role players.
-Colin Kaepernick became a franchise QB for us in 2012
-He traded Alex Smith for two 2nd round picks
-He traded a 6th for Boldin who had the best season for a WR in 10 years for us.
-He signed Glenn Dorsey to shore up our NT position.
-He drafted a rookie safety who made the Pro Bowl and another WR with loads of potential in Patton. If Carradine pans out he will be a steal where we got him. Same for Lattimore.
-And we have 12 draft picks to play with this year.

IMO, it's an easy decision who we should keep. The way Baalke has transformed this roster in basically the first year he took over is nothing short of amazing.

Common sense, reason, and perspective. Refreshing
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
I'm confident another GM and HArbaugh's eye for talent would be able to draft similar talents.

Now, where to find a coach like Harbaugh? Ebay?

Harbaugh's eye for talent like LaMichael James?

Like kap and reid

And RGIII and Adrew Luck and a whole s**t load of former JH players in the NFL.....
Originally posted by midrdan:
Yes he traded Mays. He also drafted him with a 2nd rounder. Yes the 49ers drafted Kap - Baalke wanted Dalton. Yes Carradine and Lattimore have potential ... that sat on the bench in the playoffs for a team that probably could have used two more young, highly drafted players this year. Yes, he drafted Bruce Miller - as a defensive end, who Harbaugh promptly converted to TE/H-Back. He let Ginn go, meaning we spent pretty much all season with Kyle Williams doing nothing on special teams and no vertical threat.

And to say Boone, Ginn, and Brock aren't capable starters ... dude you're just not seeing the same team as I am.

Wrong.

-Singletary threw a hissy fit to draft Mays.

-Baalke didn't want Dalton. He LIKED Dalton. Baalke TRADED UP to get Kap. Not Dalton.

-Harbaugh failed to use Ginn as a threat. Look what Ginn did for Carolina this year.

-If you think Baalke drafted Miller as a DE then there is no use debating with you.

Is it Baalke's fault he gave Harbaugh an All Star cast only to see that same coach make the same mistakes two years in a row? Harbaugh should be fired for sticking with Roman so long costing us a chance at back to back Super Bowls.

And one last thing, why are you guys defending a guy who doesn't even want to be here?
And RGIII and Adrew Luck and a whole s**t load of former JH players in the NFL.....

RG3 played for Stanford?

RG3 played for Stanford?

No, but JH recruited him. My point is he has an eye for talent. Many of his former players made it to the NFL. His eye for talent and coaching are superb.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Feb 24, 2014 at 6:11 PM ]
No, but JH recruited him.

So did 3/4 of the NCAA coaches.
No, but JH recruited him.

So did 3/4 of the NCAA coaches.

I don't know how many NCAA coaches recruited him. Do you have a link?

I know JH did for sure.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Feb 24, 2014 at 6:13 PM ]
Baalke drafted AJ Jenkins end of thread.
[ Edited by Raul98 on Feb 24, 2014 at 6:17 PM ]

Originally posted by Raul98:
He drafted AJ Jenkins end of thread.

He traded for Anquan Boldin. I win.
[ Edited by SteveYoung on Feb 24, 2014 at 6:16 PM ]
  • nj9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by prhyme:
you are not giving him credit for when he was interm gm in 2010 anthony davis, mike iupati, navarro bowman
That was Scots board how much do you think it changed in a month? He even said when he took the job not much would change. I do credit him for compiling picks and 2012 class looks good so far.

As for GM over HC, Take KC for example a GM picked most of those guys and in 2012 they are worst team in league. They brought in Reid and Alex Smith and went 11-5 could have been 12-4 if they don't bench starters last game. Reid could of kept Cassel and won 10 games. Harbaugh like Reid can win 10 games with any quarterback.

Before rookie wage scale they would of given and have given $20M guaranteed to a 21 year old kid who never played a down of pro football in his life and is a complete gamble. They have a head coach 3 seasons in a row on the brink of a Lombardi trophy and they won't pay him $10M a year? He doesn't even count against cap and little risk of injury.

You can thank the Harbaugh connection for that one.

i have no come back for that I love Boldin but to be fair the only reason we got Boldin is cause the Harbaugh brothers worked out a deal to make it happen.

You can thank the Harbaugh connection for that one.
exactly
Share 49ersWebzone