There are 109 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

If it comes down to it, who would you rather have?

If it comes down to it, who would you rather have?

There are a few things that have me unsure of exactly what Jed will do if faced with this ultimatum. Make no bones about it, I want Harbaugh over Baalke. Baalke is a good talent evaluator but this roster was largely built by Nolan/McCloughan. Harbaugh took an 8-8 team and made f'n history.
What has me worries me is that Jed seems very buddy buddy with Baalke. Has anyone heard any ringing endorsements of Harbaugh from York recently? Also, this entire situation has the feel of Harbaugh already having a foot into the grave. First its all these college jobs, then a trade to freaking Cleveland, now some knuckle head is reporting that Harbaugh can leave tomorrow and the front office wouldn't have a problem with it.
Someone posted earlier saying they can name 10 coaches they would rather have over Harbaugh. Thats great and all, but all those guys are under contract for the foreseeable future. Think of the amount of pressure that would be on whoever takes over. You think anyone in their right mind is going to want that job? If Harbaugh gets let go who is going to be able to focus on coaching when they know three straight NFC championship game appearances isn't good enough to keep their job?
One can argue that Harbaugh is not only responsible for this turn around, but do we get a new stadium with a .500 team? And to show your appreciation to him you act like he's an expendable piece of s**t? Not exactly a ringing endorsement of our front office and owner ship huh? That probably doesn't make Harbaugh feel warm and fuzzy about 2 million extra dollars per year. The ramifications of whatever decision Jed makes are going to be felt for years. Sad thing is we shouldn't even be having this conversation because Harbaugh should have already been extended. I really hope this is just being blown way out of proportion because its the offseason and its slim pickins' as far as NFL news goes. I mean, is ownership really that stupid???!!!?
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
Lets look at the tape

Baalke--- takes over talented roster, but was also scout before GM (lead scout maybe?) Has added significant talent. Has worked with Paraag to master the cap. Hasn't overpaid anyone. His major whiffs have been on offensive players, and it has been said that Harbaugh has a lot of input as far as drafting offensive players. Has put together an elite defensive coaching staff. finds gems in UDFA--- such as Brock and Ian williams

That elite defensive coaching staff was hand picked by Harbaugh. This discussion has officially taken a turn towards retarded.
Neither one. We need a better front office IMO to win.
Originally posted by AZ9erfan520:
That elite defensive coaching staff was hand picked by Harbaugh. This discussion has officially taken a turn towards retarded.

Turns the corner...
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

... and away we go...
I think there are like 10 coaches I would like for this team. I can't think of one GM i would prefer. BAAAAALKE!!!!

Are being serious? Gm I would prefer: John Scheider in Seattle, Ozzie Newsome in Baltimore, NY Giants GM, know those won't coming to SF, but there are assistant GMs and scouting directosr on those and other teams that can do as good a job or better job than Baalke. He did not improve 49ers weakness (WR, secondary) as much the Seattle GM improved his team's weakness (pass rush) last offseason. That is the main reason that Seachickens are champs and we are not.
Originally posted by 8286niners:
I think there are like 10 coaches I would like for this team. I can't think of one GM i would prefer. BAAAAALKE!!!!

Are being serious? Gm I would prefer: John Scheider in Seattle, Ozzie Newsome in Baltimore, NY Giants GM, know those won't coming to SF, but there are assistant GMs and scouting directosr on those and other teams that can do as good a job or better job than Baalke. He did not improve 49ers weakness (WR, secondary) as much the Seattle GM improved his team's weakness (pass rush) last offseason. That is the main reason that Seachickens are champs and we are not.

John Scheider would be the guy to get if you can. He's done an outstanding job.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Originally posted by AZ9erfan520:
This discussion has officially taken a turn towards retarded.
Originally posted by JD9671:

Then name your top 10 ! hahahaha ! Hello !

Sean Payton
Andy Reid
Mike McCoy
JOHN HARBAUGH
Chip Kelly
Bill Belichik
Bill Bradley
Mike Holgrem (he might come out of retirement for the Niners)
Mike Tomlin
Dick Lebeau

I think all 10 coaches listed would have success with this team, and i bet half of them would have won a ring in the last 3 years. If Sean Payton was running our offense we would have 3 rings

Ok I think you can come back from Lala land with that list, it should be 10 coaches who would be available. Oh and Dick Lebeau you gotta be kidding, that dude sucks as a HC.
[ Edited by Heisenberg on Feb 25, 2014 at 12:39 AM ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
It's really tough to pick one - I'd like both to stay. But, if I'm forced to pick - I'm keeping Baalke. I trust him to find the right coach for this team. There are a lot of good coaches in the NFL and in college - there are very few good GMs.

I'd hire David Shaw - who was the OC of Harbaugh during his Stanfurd years and is currently the HC.
  • obx49
  • Veteran
I don't think it matters who we as fans would rather have. It's up to Jed and by every indication he has already made a decision.
Baalke I think is easier to replace than Harbaugh, it takes a special HC to do what Harbaugh did the last 3 years. Baalke IMO wouldn't be Baalke without Paraag by his side, who's the real glue to this teams personnel. Sure Baalke picks the players but Paraag is the one who really keeps the team together.
This whole situation is ridiculous!!! When the story first came out I thought is was a bunch of BS. Now after reading all the BS our front office is saying it has added more credence to the tentative situation. I cannot believe I read that someone from our front office said that there are 10 coaches they would rather have than JH. Who ever leaked that should be fired on the spot. Then they went on to say that no one in the FO thinks that JH is a 10 year head coach. I find it laughable how our FO is handling this. Right now our FO is playing a bad game of Russian roulette. It is going to come down to Jed and I am sad to say I have little faith in him now. I think he is a cheap ass just like his dad. They struck gold when they hired JH and now Jed is going to blow it up because he doesn't want to pay JH like a top 5 coach. The whole BS that he needs to win the SB to get that type of money is completely and utterly stupid. Coaches are just like players. If a player is ranked in the top 5 they want to get paid like they are in the top 5. Romo hasn't won a super bowl be he is getting paid a kings ransom. Message to Jed: Stop being cheap like your dad and get your head out of your A$$ and pay the man!!!! If I had to pick one, I would pick JH and as most rational zoners have said it's not even close. It is beyond me that people have voted for Baalke!
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
i could find a worthy replacement for baalke in 10 days.
replace harbaugh in 10 days? no chance.
Originally posted by JD9671:

Then name your top 10 ! hahahaha ! Hello !

Sean Payton
Andy Reid
Mike McCoy
JOHN HARBAUGH
Chip Kelly
Bill Belichik
Bill Bradley
Mike Holgrem (he might come out of retirement for the Niners)
Mike Tomlin
Dick Lebeau

I think all 10 coaches listed would have success with this team, and i bet half of them would have won a ring in the last 3 years. If Sean Payton was running our offense we would have 3 rings

Is this Baalke? I know that Baalke is a decibel from Parcells. That would be the link to why you are so high on Sean Payton. FYI JH beat your Sean Payton in the playoffs and did with Alex at the helm! I honestly wouldn't want anyone else coaching the niners. If I had to make a list of the best coaches in the NFL right now there is only one HC that I would rank above JH and that would be Belichick. I would still rather have JH as the coach of the niners though.