LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

2014 Team Needs - Updates

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Very productive off-season so far. My head is spinning with these moves. Then when I think of Lattimore+Carradine+ 2014 draft class...we're going to have a kick-ass roster.

And all this through day 1 of FA? Who is this Baalke character? LOL.

Seriously...Lattimore, Carradine, Dial, Marquardt, Kilgore, Looney, Williams, Brock, Culliver, Wright, Morris, Wilhoite, Lemonier, etc....are ALL expected to make big jumps in year 2. Good luck to the 2014 draft class cracking a backup role!

Yessir!
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
We need a veteran CB. No matter what you still should have a steady vet CB on hand

That would be a ideal. One more vet and a draft pick. We should be good.
Very productive off-season so far. My head is spinning with these moves. Then when I think of Lattimore+Carradine+ 2014 draft class...we're going to have a kick-ass roster.

And all this through day 1 of FA? Who is this Baalke character? LOL.

Seriously...Lattimore, Carradine, Dial, Marquardt, Kilgore, Looney, Williams, Brock, Culliver, Wright, Morris, Wilhoite, Lemonier, etc....are ALL expected to make big jumps in year 2. Good luck to the 2014 draft class cracking a backup role!

Yessir!

BTW: Does anyone have a list of the remaining FA's. I'd love if we could dive into that and try and predict the next 2nd and 3rd tier FA's Baalke will target (and why).
Originally posted by buck:
So far in the off season

RETAINED/ADDED

Dawson+2 years=Very Good
Boldin+2 years=Very Good
Demarcus Dobbs+1 year tender=Good/Decent
Michael Wilhoite+1 year tender=Good.
Daniel Kilgore +extend for 3 years=Good
Eric Wright +signed. 1 year? $??=????=Good?
Antoine Bethea+4 years, 23M=Very Good
Blaine Gabbert +trade a 6th and a possible conditional based on playing time=Has potential

Losses

Donte Whitner+4 years, 28 M, Browns=Expected
Carlos Roger+$6.6 million cap savings=Very Good

Agreed! Lots of great moves thus far by the FO and we're only into day 1 of FA.

CB Tramaine Brock - Signed to a 4-year, $16M extension (last 2013 move back in November)
WR Jon Baldwin - Base salary in 2014 is now $645k (down from $1.4M). $755 available in (unreachable) incentives.
S Craig Dahl - Base salary has been reduced from $1.35M down to $825,000. That would be a $525,000 savings, plus he may have had his $250,000 roster bonus, and $50,000 workout bonus eliminated, which would make the savings as much as $825,000.
C Daniel Kilgore - The 49ers signed Kilgore, 26, to 3-year extension today that could keep the 2011 fifth-round pick with the team through 2017. The contract averages $1.8M per season with escalators of $900K available in the last two years, plus $900K in incentives in '17. DK's 2014 base is guaranteed and he also has a separate $600K roster bonus due April 1st, 2015 guaranteed for injury.
WILL Aldon Smith (FYI) - According to MM we have a 5th year option for him so he is signed for 2014 and 2015 yet. So we don't expect us to sign him any time soon although doing so we would get him cheaper than we would 2-3 years now (place tag on him). Technically we could have him for 2014, 2015 and tag him in 2016 and 2017 without having to sign him to a long term deal.
WR Anquan Boldin - Signed a two-year contract @ $12M with $9M guaranteed. Matt Maiocco‏@MaioccoCSN22 secsSource: #49ers Anquan Boldin's first year cap number is $2.364M. Deal is actually 5 years (for cap reasons) but voids after 2 years. Secondary/Assistant Defensive Coach Ed Donatell - Agreed to a two-year deal. If Donatell signed just a one-year extension, he could have been a candidate for defensive coordinator jobs next year. But the 49ers coveted him and clearly made it worth his while to stick around for the next two years.
Defensive Coordinator Vic Fangio - Talks underway for a Vic Fangio extension.
ILB Michael Wilhoite - Exclusive rights (will be back).
13 players signed to reserve/future contracts - Those players include: QB McLeod Bethel-Thompson, RB Jewel Hampton, WR Devon Wylie, WR DeMarco Sampson, WR David Reed, WR Chuck Jacobs, OG Al Netter, OT Carter Bykowski, DT Christian Tupou, NT Mike Purcell, CB Dax Swanson, SS D.J. Campbell & P Colton Schmidt
DE Demarcus Dobbs - #49ers expected to place lowest level tender ($1.4M) on RFA defensive end Demarcus Dobbs. First reported by @TomPelissero.
K Phil Dawson - 2-year deal but details pending. AB81Rules projected a 1-year deal, worth $2.5M, with a $1M signing bonus, a $100,000 workout bonus, and a $1.4M base salary.
SS Antoine Bethea - #49ers have reached agreement with Antoine Bethea on a four-year deal worth $21M per MB.
QB Blaine Gabbert - Adam Schefter, Jacksonville traded him to SF for a 6th round pick, per sources @ $2M a year; expected to rework final year of his original contract to, potentially, serve as backup.
CB Eric Wright - Resigns to a 1-year contract. Details pending.

It also looks like Baalke is looking at Toby Gerhart from the vikings as replacement for Dixon. Then if they get Nolan Carroll, then they would be sitting pretty tight for the backfield and can then try to get up high and get quality over quantity. If they could then get Gilbert in the 1st round it would address two things in one - quality CB and return man. Should be interesting these next few days.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Originally posted by buck:
So far in the off season

RETAINED/ADDED

Dawson+2 years=Very Good
Boldin+2 years=Very Good
Demarcus Dobbs+1 year tender=Good/Decent
Michael Wilhoite+1 year tender=Good.
Daniel Kilgore +extend for 3 years=Good
Eric Wright +signed. 1 year? $??=????=Good?
Antoine Bethea+4 years, 23M=Very Good
Blaine Gabbert +trade a 6th and a possible conditional based on playing time=Has potential

Losses

Donte Whitner+4 years, 28 M, Browns=Expected
Carlos Roger+$6.6 million cap savings=Very Good

Agreed! Lots of great moves thus far by the FO and we're only into day 1 of FA.

CB Tramaine Brock - Signed to a 4-year, $16M extension (last 2013 move back in November)
WR Jon Baldwin - Base salary in 2014 is now $645k (down from $1.4M). $755 available in (unreachable) incentives.
S Craig Dahl - Base salary has been reduced from $1.35M down to $825,000. That would be a $525,000 savings, plus he may have had his $250,000 roster bonus, and $50,000 workout bonus eliminated, which would make the savings as much as $825,000.
C Daniel Kilgore - The 49ers signed Kilgore, 26, to 3-year extension today that could keep the 2011 fifth-round pick with the team through 2017. The contract averages $1.8M per season with escalators of $900K available in the last two years, plus $900K in incentives in '17. DK's 2014 base is guaranteed and he also has a separate $600K roster bonus due April 1st, 2015 guaranteed for injury.
WILL Aldon Smith (FYI) - According to MM we have a 5th year option for him so he is signed for 2014 and 2015 yet. So we don't expect us to sign him any time soon although doing so we would get him cheaper than we would 2-3 years now (place tag on him). Technically we could have him for 2014, 2015 and tag him in 2016 and 2017 without having to sign him to a long term deal.
WR Anquan Boldin - Signed a two-year contract @ $12M with $9M guaranteed. Matt Maiocco‏@MaioccoCSN22 secsSource: #49ers Anquan Boldin's first year cap number is $2.364M. Deal is actually 5 years (for cap reasons) but voids after 2 years. Secondary/Assistant Defensive Coach Ed Donatell - Agreed to a two-year deal. If Donatell signed just a one-year extension, he could have been a candidate for defensive coordinator jobs next year. But the 49ers coveted him and clearly made it worth his while to stick around for the next two years.
Defensive Coordinator Vic Fangio - Talks underway for a Vic Fangio extension.
ILB Michael Wilhoite - Exclusive rights (will be back).
13 players signed to reserve/future contracts - Those players include: QB McLeod Bethel-Thompson, RB Jewel Hampton, WR Devon Wylie, WR DeMarco Sampson, WR David Reed, WR Chuck Jacobs, OG Al Netter, OT Carter Bykowski, DT Christian Tupou, NT Mike Purcell, CB Dax Swanson, SS D.J. Campbell & P Colton Schmidt
DE Demarcus Dobbs - #49ers expected to place lowest level tender ($1.4M) on RFA defensive end Demarcus Dobbs. First reported by @TomPelissero.
K Phil Dawson - 2-year deal but details pending. AB81Rules projected a 1-year deal, worth $2.5M, with a $1M signing bonus, a $100,000 workout bonus, and a $1.4M base salary.
SS Antoine Bethea - #49ers have reached agreement with Antoine Bethea on a four-year deal worth $21M per MB.
QB Blaine Gabbert - Adam Schefter, Jacksonville traded him to SF for a 6th round pick, per sources @ $2M a year; expected to rework final year of his original contract to, potentially, serve as backup.
CB Eric Wright - Resigns to a 1-year contract. Details pending.

It also looks like Baalke is looking at Toby Gerhart from the vikings as replacement for Dixon. Then if they get Nolan Carroll, then they would be sitting pretty tight for the backfield and can then try to get up high and get quality over quantity. If they could then get Gilbert in the 1st round it would address two things in one - quality CB and return man. Should be interesting these next few days.

Just saw that myself. Do you know if Toby is a FB as well? Hybrid RB/FB? If so, he's what we needed when Miller went down last year! He would be absolutely ideal for this offense.

And yes, I keep getting this feeling we'll move up for Gilbert as well!

BTW: Does anyone have a list of the remaining FA's. I'd love if we could dive into that and try and predict the next 2nd and 3rd tier FA's Baalke will target (and why).

I like using ESPN's tracker. Here's a link for remaining unrestricted FAs:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/freeagency/?year=2014&status=1&type=1

Wish I could find a site where I can copy and paste the entire list for the thread, but this is the best I could find.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Mar 11, 2014 at 6:37 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
We need a veteran CB. No matter what you still should have a steady vet CB on hand

That would be a ideal. One more vet and a draft pick. We should be good.

Revis would be sweeeeet (I don't think it will happen tho)... perhaps Peanut Tillman and definitely a CB within the first three picks.

I like using ESPN's tracker. Here's a link for remaining unrestricted FAs:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/freeagency/?year=2014&status=1&type=1

Wish I could find a site where I can copy and paste the entire list for the thread, but this is the best I could find.

I'm surprised with ALL the moves Balake makes, people don't treat the FA list like a draft Big Board and guess who they think we'll target. Thank you...
Remaining FA CB's:
Tarell Brown 5'10"
Tracy Porter 5'11"
Aqib Talib 6'1"
Captain Munnerlyn 5'9"
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie 6'2"
Walter Thurmond 5'11"
Husain Abdullah 6'0"
Phillip Adams 5'11"
Javier Arenas 5'9"
E.J. Biggers 6'0"

These are the only two I consider in the Baalke-mold (that are realistic) as 2nd Tier FA's but not sure on their market value.
This offseason is off with a bang...an unexpected one! Love the Bethea signing and still can't believe it! Better cover and the refs won't be jumping on him everytime he hits someone!

I'm surprised with ALL the moves Balake makes, people don't treat the FA list like a draft Big Board and guess who they think we'll target. Thank you...

I hear ya. There's a few 2nd and 3rd tier guys I have in mind. Using your team needs as a guide, I have my eye on:

Javier Arenas -- CB/Dynamic Returner
-- Has experience as nickel corner and return ability

Jacoby Ford -- WR/Dynamic Returner
-- Adds speed to the WR core and return ability

Brian De La Puente -- C
-- Local guy. Spent some time with us in 2008 and 2010. Starting experience with Saints. Competition for Kilgore.

Daryl Smith -- LB
-- Experienced vet. Played well for Baltimore last year. Growing long in the tooth. Insurance in case Bowman(injury) or Wilhoite falter.

Will Svitek -- Swing Tackle
-- Cheap veteran option. Has starting experience at both tackle spots. Stanford alum.
NCommand, you had asked me to state my opinion in here now I'm glad I didn't get around to it because I would have looked like a jackass. Trading for Martin maybe could have guessed, but trading for Gabbert and signing Bethea... no way. Would have never expected this busy of a day. I was right on Wilhoite, right on Cox or Wright back, Dawson, Boldin, Rogers... Kilgore didn't expect to be re-signed this early. As for needs for the draft wow right now minus a 3rd or 4th CB and a 3rd or 4th WR we really don't have any major needs. I expect us to do a lot of trading down in this draft; 1 of the 2nds or 3rds will likely be traded away fully and turned into a pick next year. Our early QB need went out the window, early SS as well, even OL with Martin might be gone now. Right now I'm looking at something like 1. Verrett/Fuller 2. Trade Up From 56 Matthews/Beckham and after that BPA or trade. Then depth of S, OL, QB if we want but not a necessity. If we wanted to now would be the time to trade half a draft for a guy like Watkins or Evans especially if we don't think we can re-sign Crabtree after this year although we could tag him. Sorry this is just a quick post I could write a book on our needs but too much going on to keep up. You are doing a really good job in here.

Edit: Sofa, that's a really nice list. Some might be out of our price range but good list. Have any of you guys studied CB's we could go after minus Carroll?
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 11, 2014 at 7:37 PM ]

I hear ya. There's a few 2nd and 3rd tier guys I have in mind. Using your team needs as a guide, I have my eye on:

Javier Arenas -- CB/Dynamic Returner
-- Has experience as nickel corner and return ability

Jacoby Ford -- WR/Dynamic Returner
-- Adds speed to the WR core and return ability

Brian De La Puente -- C
-- Local guy. Spent some time with us in 2008 and 2010. Starting experience with Saints. Competition for Kilgore.

Daryl Smith -- LB
-- Experienced vet. Played well for Baltimore last year. Growing long in the tooth. Insurance in case Bowman(injury) or Wilhoite falter.

Will Svitek -- Swing Tackle
-- Cheap veteran option. Has starting experience at both tackle spots. Stanford alum.

There is an, Assistant to the GM position opening up under Baalke soon for you! THESE are the types Baalke goes after. I wasn't aware of the return abilities...that's big for us.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
NCommand, you had asked me to state my opinion in here now I'm glad I didn't get around to it because I would have looked like a jackass. Trading for Martin maybe could have guessed, but trading for Gabbert and signing Bethea... no way. Would have never expected this busy of a day. I was right on Wilhoite, right on Cox or Wright back, Dawson, Boldin... Kilgore didn't expect to be re-signed this early. As for needs for the draft wow right now minus a 3rd or 4th CB and a 3rd or 4th WR we really don't have any major needs. I expect us to do a lot of trading down in this draft; 1 of the 2nds or 3rds will likely be traded away fully and turned into a pick next year. Our early QB need went out the window, early SS as well, even OL with Martin might be gone now. Right now I'm looking at something like 1. Verrett/Fuller 2. Trade Up From 56 Matthews/Beckham and after that BPA or trade. Then depth of S, OL, QB if we want but not a necessity. If we wanted to now would be the time to trade half a draft for a guy like Watkins or Evans especially if we don't think we can re-sign Crabtree after this year although we could tag him.

Hahaha...yeah, nobody would have guessed Gabbert and Bethea right?

I think you are leaning where I am as well...this year will be more about quality over quantity (Lord knows we're already stacked with a grocery-long list of players coming into the fold for 2014).

Trending on NinerTalk - Top 5 Needs: H/W/S = Ideal Height/Weight/Speed; Would need to forfeit picks for Justin Gilbert & Mike Evans.
#1 CB/Dynamic Returner (Justin Gilbert @ #12 = H/W/S + Returner)
#2 S (Calvin Pryor or Hasean Clinton-Dix = H/W/S or Jimmie Ward from picks #27 - #33)
#3 WR/Dynamic Returner (2) (Size: X - Mike Evans @ #16 or Donte Moncrief @ #66 = H/W/S or Y - Brandin Cooks @ #37 = Returner + S)
#4 ILB (?)
#5 C (Marcus Martin @ pick #71)

If MD's Big Board holds up, there are only two guys we'd even need to trade up for. All 3 S's are going to be in range staying put; same for the X or Y WR, ILB and C.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 11, 2014 at 7:58 PM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
This offseason is off with a bang...an unexpected one! Love the Bethea signing and still can't believe it! Better cover and the refs won't be jumping on him everytime he hits someone!

Totally!!! Good times...
Share 49ersWebzone