There are 55 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2014 Team Needs - Updates

Originally posted by NCommand:
Per MB: Dolphins cornerback Nolan Carroll. He was a fifth-round pick for Miami in 2010. At 6-1, 205 pounds, the 27-year-old Carroll also fits the mold of the bigger, physical cornerback the 49ers and other teams are seeking.

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2014/03/brown-drawing-interest-49ers-checking-out-alternatives-at-cornerback.html#storylink=cpy

This is mold Baalke has been going after (esp. last year) as well vs. the micro-CB's. Good looking out MB.

I think MB has been lurking on the WZ.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Per MB: Dolphins cornerback Nolan Carroll. He was a fifth-round pick for Miami in 2010. At 6-1, 205 pounds, the 27-year-old Carroll also fits the mold of the bigger, physical cornerback the 49ers and other teams are seeking.

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2014/03/brown-drawing-interest-49ers-checking-out-alternatives-at-cornerback.html#storylink=cpy

This is mold Baalke has been going after (esp. last year) as well vs. the micro-CB's. Good looking out MB.

I think MB has been lurking on the WZ.

Why not? There's a lot of smart zoners in here!
Holy cow...getting carpel tunnel editing this thread!
Baalke...dude always has a plan!
Great signing for Bethea! He will do fantastic in our defense WITH better natural coverage ability.
But the best benefit is now we don't need to rush into acquiring a top S this year...we could even wait until next year now. It allows us now to focus on the following in the draft and in the 2nd and 3rd Tier FA's:
#1 CB/Dynamic Returner (Justin Gilbert @ #12 = H/W/S + Returner)
#2 S (Calvin Pryor, Hasean Clinton-Dix or Jimmie Ward from picks #27 - #33)
#3 WR/Dynamic Returner (2) (Size: X - Mike Evans @ #16 or Donte Moncrief @ #66 = H/W/S or Y - Brandin Cooks @ #37 = Returner + S)
#4 ILB (?)
#5 C (Marcus Martin @ pick #71)
Day 1, just hours into FA and the FO has already made 15 moves!
Great first day...and the best part is, day 2 on is where Baalke really earns his money.

K Phil Dawson - 2-year deal but details pending. AB81Rules projected a 1-year deal, worth $2.5M, with a $1M signing bonus, a $100,000 workout bonus, and a $1.4M base salary.
SS Antoine Bethea - #49ers have reached agreement with Antoine Bethea on a four-year deal worth $21M per MB.
QB Blaine Gabbert - Adam Schefter, Jacksonville traded him to SF for a 6th round pick, per sources @ $2M a year; expected to rework final year of his original contract to, potentially, serve as backup.
CB Eric Wright - Resigns to a 1-year contract. Details pending.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 11, 2014 at 5:15 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Holy cow...getting carpel tunnel editing this thread!
Baalke...dude always has a plan!


No kidding! He continues to amaze many of us. Guy is lights out in his creative thinking. Could be a great chess player on top of everything else he does well.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 9,606
So far in the off season

RETAINED/ADDED

Dawson+2 years=Very Good
Boldin+2 years=Very Good
Demarcus Dobbs+1 year tender=Good/Decent
Michael Wilhoite+1 year tender=Good.
Daniel Kilgore +extend for 3 years=Good
Eric Wright +signed. 1 year? $??=????=Good?
Antoine Bethea+4 years, 23M=Very Good
Blaine Gabbert +trade a 6th and a possible conditional based on playing time=Has potential

Losses

Donte Whitner+4 years, 28 M, Browns=Expected
Carlos Roger+$6.6 million cap savings=Very Good
[ Edited by buck on Mar 11, 2014 at 5:40 PM ]
Originally posted by barrymartin:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Holy cow...getting carpel tunnel editing this thread!
Baalke...dude always has a plan!


No kidding! He continues to amaze many of us. Guy is lights out in his creative thinking. Could be a great chess player on top of everything else he does well.

Yeah, I wonder if he'll make Jerry Jones his b!tch in the draft again this year! LOL
Originally posted by NCommand:
Great signing for Bethea! He will do fantastic in our defense WITH better natural coverage ability.
But the best benefit is now we don't need to rush into acquiring a top S this year...we could even wait until next year now. It allows us now to focus on the following in the draft and in the 2nd and 3rd Tier FA's:
#1 CB/Dynamic Returner (Justin Gilbert @ #12 = H/W/S + Returner)
#2 S (Calvin Pryor, Hasean Clinton-Dix or Jimmie Ward from picks #27 - #33)
#3 WR/Dynamic Returner (2) (Size: X - Mike Evans @ #16 or Donte Moncrief @ #66 = H/W/S or Y - Brandin Cooks @ #37 = Returner + S)
#4 ILB (?)
#5 C (Marcus Martin @ pick #71)


Agreed! To take it one step further, the whole secondary looks pretty good. We don't really have to have a CB in the first couple of rounds either with the signing of Wright. Reid and Bethea starting,at safety with Dahl and Spillman backing up is pretty good. Culliver and Brock starting backed up by Wright and Morris doesn't look bad either.

Free agency is just getting started, so other DB's might be had cheap later which is what Baalke usually does so well. Really allows us to get a BPA early that could be a real impact player at many positions beside the secondary. Think WR, Dline, LB, TE. Trent has so much flexibility to move anyway he wants including high picks in next years draft. We've watched him do this every year and he's back at it again this year. What a joy to watch a GM that is this competent. Bodes well for our organization for many years to come. If Jed can just keep he and Harbaugh working together effectively we will be elite for a long time.
Originally posted by buck:
So far in the off season

RETAINED/ADDED

Dawson+2 years=Very Good
Boldin+2 years=Very Good
Demarcus Dobbs+1 year tender=Good/Decent
Michael Wilhoite+1 year tender=Good.
Daniel Kilgore +extend for 3 years=Good
Eric Wright +signed. 1 year? $??=????=Good?
Antoine Bethea+4 years, 23M=Very Good
Blaine Gabbert +trade a 6th and a possible conditional based on playing time=Has potential

Losses

Donte Whitner+4 years, 28 M, Browns=Expected
Carlos Roger+$6.6 million cap savings=Very Good

Agreed! Lots of great moves thus far by the FO and we're only into day 1 of FA.

CB Tramaine Brock - Signed to a 4-year, $16M extension (last 2013 move back in November)
WR Jon Baldwin - Base salary in 2014 is now $645k (down from $1.4M). $755 available in (unreachable) incentives.
S Craig Dahl - Base salary has been reduced from $1.35M down to $825,000. That would be a $525,000 savings, plus he may have had his $250,000 roster bonus, and $50,000 workout bonus eliminated, which would make the savings as much as $825,000.
C Daniel Kilgore - The 49ers signed Kilgore, 26, to 3-year extension today that could keep the 2011 fifth-round pick with the team through 2017. The contract averages $1.8M per season with escalators of $900K available in the last two years, plus $900K in incentives in '17. DK's 2014 base is guaranteed and he also has a separate $600K roster bonus due April 1st, 2015 guaranteed for injury.
WILL Aldon Smith (FYI) - According to MM we have a 5th year option for him so he is signed for 2014 and 2015 yet. So we don't expect us to sign him any time soon although doing so we would get him cheaper than we would 2-3 years now (place tag on him). Technically we could have him for 2014, 2015 and tag him in 2016 and 2017 without having to sign him to a long term deal.
WR Anquan Boldin - Signed a two-year contract @ $12M with $9M guaranteed. Matt Maiocco‏@MaioccoCSN22 secsSource: #49ers Anquan Boldin's first year cap number is $2.364M. Deal is actually 5 years (for cap reasons) but voids after 2 years. Secondary/Assistant Defensive Coach Ed Donatell - Agreed to a two-year deal. If Donatell signed just a one-year extension, he could have been a candidate for defensive coordinator jobs next year. But the 49ers coveted him and clearly made it worth his while to stick around for the next two years.
Defensive Coordinator Vic Fangio - Talks underway for a Vic Fangio extension.
ILB Michael Wilhoite - Exclusive rights (will be back).
13 players signed to reserve/future contracts - Those players include: QB McLeod Bethel-Thompson, RB Jewel Hampton, WR Devon Wylie, WR DeMarco Sampson, WR David Reed, WR Chuck Jacobs, OG Al Netter, OT Carter Bykowski, DT Christian Tupou, NT Mike Purcell, CB Dax Swanson, SS D.J. Campbell & P Colton Schmidt
DE Demarcus Dobbs - #49ers expected to place lowest level tender ($1.4M) on RFA defensive end Demarcus Dobbs. First reported by @TomPelissero.
K Phil Dawson - 2-year deal but details pending. AB81Rules projected a 1-year deal, worth $2.5M, with a $1M signing bonus, a $100,000 workout bonus, and a $1.4M base salary.
SS Antoine Bethea - #49ers have reached agreement with Antoine Bethea on a four-year deal worth $21M per MB.
QB Blaine Gabbert - Adam Schefter, Jacksonville traded him to SF for a 6th round pick, per sources @ $2M a year; expected to rework final year of his original contract to, potentially, serve as backup.
CB Eric Wright - Resigns to a 1-year contract. Details pending.
Originally posted by barrymartin:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Great signing for Bethea! He will do fantastic in our defense WITH better natural coverage ability.
But the best benefit is now we don't need to rush into acquiring a top S this year...we could even wait until next year now. It allows us now to focus on the following in the draft and in the 2nd and 3rd Tier FA's:
#1 CB/Dynamic Returner (Justin Gilbert @ #12 = H/W/S + Returner)
#2 S (Calvin Pryor, Hasean Clinton-Dix or Jimmie Ward from picks #27 - #33)
#3 WR/Dynamic Returner (2) (Size: X - Mike Evans @ #16 or Donte Moncrief @ #66 = H/W/S or Y - Brandin Cooks @ #37 = Returner + S)
#4 ILB (?)
#5 C (Marcus Martin @ pick #71)


Agreed! To take it one step further, the whole secondary looks pretty good. We don't really have to have a CB in the first couple of rounds either with the signing of Wright. Reid and Bethea starting,at safety with Dahl and Spillman backing up is pretty good. Culliver and Brock starting backed up by Wright and Morris doesn't look bad either.

Free agency is just getting started, so other DB's might be had cheap later which is what Baalke usually does so well. Really allows us to get a BPA early that could be a real impact player at many positions beside the secondary. Think WR, Dline, LB, TE. Trent has so much flexibility to move anyway he wants including high picks in next years draft. We've watched him do this every year and he's back at it again this year. What a joy to watch a GM that is this competent. Bodes well for our organization for many years to come. If Jed can just keep he and Harbaugh working together effectively we will be elite for a long time.

Totally. I had DE as:

Second Tier:
#6 DE - Currently, we have Justin Smith, Ray McDonald and then Demarcus Dobbs, Tony Jerod-Eddie, Tank Carradine and Lawrence Okoye. Quinton Dial can also play DE. On the surface, this looks stacked here. But, Justin is much older now and slowing down, McDonald is oft-injured and Carradine and Dial are huge question marks. TJE and Dobbs had nice years and Okoye may end up being a surprise BUT we need top-notch talent and health here as these 3 DL are critical to our front 7 play. It would not surprise me if the FO saw this as a primary Top Tier pick. And isn't this the ideal spot to take another IR-filler, red-shirt developmental pick by Baalke? Tomsula can hold the fort down with 1 or 2 big injuries here.
Very productive off-season so far. My head is spinning with these moves. Then when I think of Lattimore+Carradine+ 2014 draft class...we're going to have a kick-ass roster.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Very productive off-season so far. My head is spinning with these moves. Then when I think of Lattimore+Carradine+ 2014 draft class...we're going to have a kick-ass roster.

And all this through day 1 of FA? Who is this Baalke character? LOL.

Seriously...Lattimore, Carradine, Dial, Marquardt, Kilgore, Looney, Williams, Brock, Culliver, Wright, Morris, Wilhoite, Lemonier, etc....are ALL expected to make big jumps in year 2. Good luck to the 2014 draft class cracking a backup role!
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 11, 2014 at 5:58 PM ]
We need a veteran CB. No matter what you still should have a steady vet CB on hand