LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 197 users in the forums

2014 Team Needs - Updates

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Oakland Raiders Trade Options: Denarius Moore--

Enter Denarius Moore, a talented if not inconsistent wide receiver, who is one of the few, if not only tradable players on the Oakland Raiders roster.

Denarius Moore, is entering his final year of his rookie contract, with a cap hit of a modest $1,436,513 according to overthecap.com. I do not foresee Reggie offering an extension to Moore this year, and he would hit Free Agency in 2015.

So what is Moore's value in the trade market?

Acquiring a 5th rounder would be a huge win for Reggie, and is where I see Denarius Moore's value in the trade market. Some potential trade partners include the Cardinals, Jets, and 49ers.

http://justblogbaby.com/2014/03/02/denarius-moore-trade-trade/
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Oakland Raiders Trade Options: Denarius Moore--

Enter Denarius Moore, a talented if not inconsistent wide receiver, who is one of the few, if not only tradable players on the Oakland Raiders roster.

Denarius Moore, is entering his final year of his rookie contract, with a cap hit of a modest $1,436,513 according to overthecap.com. I do not foresee Reggie offering an extension to Moore this year, and he would hit Free Agency in 2015.

So what is Moore's value in the trade market?

Acquiring a 5th rounder would be a huge win for Reggie, and is where I see Denarius Moore's value in the trade market. Some potential trade partners include the Cardinals, Jets, and 49ers.

http://justblogbaby.com/2014/03/02/denarius-moore-trade-trade/

5th rounder would be a no-brainer. Perfect #3 to pair with Crab and Boldin.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by SaksV:
Top 5 Needs in order IMHO:

1. Cornerback
2. Slot Receiver
3. Safety
4. Backup Quarterback
5. Inside Linebacker

With Nick Moody, Mike Wilhoite, and Skuta even able to play inside.. I can't say I see why ILB makes the list...
agree. the only way i see them drafting a inside backer is if a guy from iowa, whose name i can not remember, is there in the 4th. should we throw in a back up center maybe in the 5th or something to give kilgore some competition?

1. I don't have faith in Michael Wilhoite being able to play the MIKE position in Fangio's D. It requires a lot more diagnosing and I have seen Wilhoite struggle in that particular department this past year when he played TED for Patrick Willis.

2. I haven't seen Dan Skuta play inside in this team. He played an entirely different role in Cincinnati that I don't believe converts to our scheme quite as seamless as people assume it is.

3. Nick Moody barely played linebacker in college. He was a converted safety and special teams ace. The team has him listed as an inside linebacker but I haven't seen any reports of him getting reps at the position, nor any indication that he's in the running to replace Bowman to open camp. Just because he's listed as ILB on the team website doesn't mean much to me. Perhaps he can play Mike but I highly doubt it.

These are the three main reasons I think an inside linebacker is a Top 5 need on this team this year. I understand some of your faith in our reserves, but I don't share that faith. Call me crazy.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Top 5 Needs in order IMHO:

1. Cornerback
2. Slot Receiver
3. Safety
4. Backup Quarterback
5. Inside Linebacker

With Nick Moody, Mike Wilhoite, and Skuta even able to play inside.. I can't say I see why ILB makes the list...
agree. the only way i see them drafting a inside backer is if a guy from iowa, whose name i can not remember, is there in the 4th. should we throw in a back up center maybe in the 5th or something to give kilgore some competition?

1. I don't have faith in Michael Wilhoite being able to play the MIKE position in Fangio's D. It requires a lot more diagnosing and I have seen Wilhoite struggle in that particular department this past year when he played TED for Patrick Willis.

2. I haven't seen Dan Skuta play inside in this team. He played an entirely different role in Cincinnati that I don't believe converts to our scheme quite as seamless as people assume it is.

3. Nick Moody barely played linebacker in college. He was a converted safety and special teams ace. The team has him listed as an inside linebacker but I haven't seen any reports of him getting reps at the position, nor any indication that he's in the running to replace Bowman to open camp. Just because he's listed as ILB on the team website doesn't mean much to me. Perhaps he can play Mike but I highly doubt it.

These are the three main reasons I think an inside linebacker is a Top 5 need on this team this year. I understand some of your faith in our reserves, but I don't share that faith. Call me crazy.

Great post and given injuries to Willis over the past two years and Bowman now, it's very possible ILB goes much higher in the draft than we realize. Then again, Baalke's M.O. is to bring in a 2nd tier FA. So that may end up being an option as well. Either way, we need talent or experience backing up Willis/Wilhoite THIS year. So good call.
  • cools
  • Veteran
D.Fleming will be back from Injury, 5th rounder from Notre Dame that they planned on moving to ILB, great size at 6'2 255

By training camp it will be a full year from his ACL tear
Originally posted by cools:
D.Fleming will be back from Injury, 5th rounder from Notre Dame that they planned on moving to ILB, great size at 6'2 255

By training camp it will be a full year from his ACL tear

I'm really glad you brought him up b/c we havent heard much from him. I know initially, we all were excited about him as an OLB but now, it's not needed. I hope you are right in that he's moved to ILB and takes off there. I would love if he could step up this year and add some real depth and even push Wilhoite.
Originally posted by NCommand:
The FA period will be fun to watch here very shortly; it will surely help answer some moves we may make in the draft!

Yes, and I will be watching to see if some first notch FAs want to come to SF--I could see some wanting to join a winning team. But, as we all know, Baalke is really good at finding the late FA, waiting in the weeds until a guy decides he needs a contract. Some have been a waste but most have at least worked out to some degree.

If the niners really want to make a splash they could take one of these guys off the market:

Jairus Byrd, S, 27 years old (move Reid to SS and replace the 29 year old Whitner? Or keep Whitner and draft a SS)

Alterraun Verner, CB, 25 years old (get younger and better at CB?)

Alex Mack, C, 28 years old (replace 35 year old Goodwin?)

Eric Decker, WR, 26 years old (love this guy...always seems to make big receptions)

Antonio Cromartie, CB, 29 years old

Sidney Rice, WR, 27 years old

Just looked briefly at the positions of need. Would love to see them steal quality players from Seattle and Rice, when healthy, would be a great addition. I like most of the other guys but Cromartie would be my least likely scenario...I see this position getting younger.
Trends added:

Trending on NinerTalk - Top 5 Needs: H/W/S = Ideal Height/Weight/Speed; Would need to forfeit picks for Justin Gilbert & Mike Evans.
#1 S (Calvin Pryor, Hasean Clinton-Dix or Jimmie Ward from picks #27 - #33)
#2 CB/Dynamic Returner (Justin Gilbert @ #12 = H/W/S + Returner)
#3 WR/Dynamic Returner (2) (Size: X - Mike Evans @ #16 or Donte Moncrief @ #66 = H/W/S or Y - Brandin Cooks = Returner + S)
#4 ILB (?)
#5 C (Marcus Martin @ pick #71)

Per MadDog's Big Board: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/177262-maddogs-2014-nfl-draft-pre-combine-big-150-board/
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by NCommand:
The FA period will be fun to watch here very shortly; it will surely help answer some moves we may make in the draft!

Yes, and I will be watching to see if some first notch FAs want to come to SF--I could see some wanting to join a winning team. But, as we all know, Baalke is really good at finding the late FA, waiting in the weeds until a guy decides he needs a contract. Some have been a waste but most have at least worked out to some degree.

If the niners really want to make a splash they could take one of these guys off the market:

Jairus Byrd, S, 27 years old (move Reid to SS and replace the 29 year old Whitner? Or keep Whitner and draft a SS)

Alterraun Verner, CB, 25 years old (get younger and better at CB?)

Alex Mack, C, 28 years old (replace 35 year old Goodwin?)

Eric Decker, WR, 26 years old (love this guy...always seems to make big receptions)

Antonio Cromartie, CB, 29 years old

Sidney Rice, WR, 27 years old

Just looked briefly at the positions of need. Would love to see them steal quality players from Seattle and Rice, when healthy, would be a great addition. I like most of the other guys but Cromartie would be my least likely scenario...I see this position getting younger.

This is the kind of foresight I love! Well done. Seattle has both Brown and Thurmond available as well. And as it's been well established, you're right, most won't be big names or if they are, they will be older and come cheaper. I love you point about being the year we may actually see some "bigger named" FA's sign here for cheaper like back in the day. Can't wait...
I wouldn't be too upset if we signed either Cromatrie pretty cheaply, but I just can't see us spending money on Eric Decker. I think the dude's stats are due to Payton freaking Manning, and not anything else. I could be wrong

Originally posted by kentc1978:
I wouldn't be too upset if we signed either Cromatrie pretty cheaply, but I just can't see us spending money on Eric Decker. I think the dude's stats are due to Payton freaking Manning, and not anything else. I could be wrong

I don't think they're going to be able to get Cromartie or any of the good corners cheaply this year. Not when the Packers just gave Shields $39 mil for 4 years. And, I don't know why they would even consider giving a receiver like Decker a lot of money when this is the deepest receiver draft in 25 years.
^^^^ True but what kind of guys do you expect Baalke to target from this list:

2014 Top 100 Free Agents Rank: Player - Position - 2013 Team
1 Jairus Byrd S Buffalo Bills
2 Eugene Monroe OT Baltimore Ravens
3 Alex Mack C Cleveland Browns
4 Michael Johnson DE Cincinnati Bengals
5 Lamarr Houston DT Oakland Raiders
6 Branden Albert OT Kansas City Chiefs
7 Alterraun Verner CB Tennessee Titans
8 Michael Bennett DE Seattle Seahawks
9 T.J. Ward S Cleveland Browns
10 Brent Grimes CB Miami Dolphins
11 Jared Veldheer OT Oakland Raiders
12 Aqib Talib CB New England Patriots
13 Jason Hatcher DT Dallas Cowboys
14 Sam Shields CB Green Bay Packers
15 Henry Melton DT Chicago Bears
16 B.J. Raji DT Green Bay Packers
17 Eric Decker WR Denver Broncos
18 Vontae Davis CB Indianapolis Colts
19 Everson Griffen DE Minnesota Vikings
20 Dennis Pitta TE Baltimore Ravens
21 Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie CB Denver Broncos
22 Donald Butler LB San Diego Chargers
23 Randy Starks DT Miami Dolphins
24 Hakeem Nicks WR New York Giants
25 Arthur Jones DT Baltimore Ravens
26 Jermichael Finley TE Green Bay Packers
27 Jason Worilds OLB Pittsburgh Steelers
28 Linval Joseph DT New York Giants
29 Jared Allen DE Minnesota Vikings
30 Paul Soliai DT Miami Dolphins
31 Jeremy Maclin WR Philadelphia Eagles
32 Karlos Dansby LB Arizona Cardinals
33 Anthony Collins OT Cincinnati Bengals
34 Golden Tate WR Seattle Seahawks
35 Brandon Spikes LB New England Patriots
36 Michael Vick QB Philadelphia Eagles
37 Ben Tate RB Houston Texans
38 Walter Thurmond CB Seattle Seahawks
39 Justin Tuck DE New York Giants
40 Malcolm Jenkins S New Orleans Saints
41 Red Bryant DT Seattle Seahawks
42 Anquan Boldin WR San Francisco 49ers - Signed
43 Donte Whitner S San Francisco 49ers
44 D'Qwell Jackson LB Cleveland Browns
45 Rodger Saffold OT St. Louis Rams
46 James Jones WR Green Bay Packers
47 Daryl Smith LB Baltimore Ravens
48 Chris Clemons S Miami Dolphins
49 Antoine Bethea S Indianapolis Colts
50 Julian Edelman WR New England Patriots
51 Captain Munnerlyn CB Carolina Panthers
52 Willie Young DE Detroit Lions
53 Emmanuel Sanders WR Pittsburgh Steelers
54 Tyson Jackson DT/DE Kansas City Chiefs
55 Pat Sims DT Oakland Raiders
56 Louis Delmas S Detroit Lions
57 Jon Asamoah OG Kansas City Chiefs
58 Mike Neal OLB Green Bay Packers
59 Knowshon Moreno RB Denver Broncos
60 Andre Roberts WR Arizona Cardinals
61 Charles Tillman CB Chicago Bears
62 Shaun Phillips DE San Diego Chargers
63 Brian de la Puente C New Orleans Saints
64 Anthony Spencer OLB Dallas Cowboys
65 Zane Beadles OG Denver Broncos
66 Michael Oher OT Baltimore Ravens
67 Sidney Rice WR Seattle Seahawks
68 Darren McFadden RB Oakland Raiders
69 Brandon Pettigrew TE Detroit Lions
70 Travelle Wharton OG Carolina Panthers
71 Brandon Browner CB Seattle Seahawks
72 Maurice Jones-Drew RB Jacksonville Jaguars
73 Tarell Brown CB San Francisco 49ers
74 Wesley Woodyard LB Denver Broncos
75 Corey Wootton DE Chicago Bears
76 Geoff Schwartz OG Kansas City Chiefs
77 Jonathan Babineaux DT Atlanta Falcons
78 Garrett Graham TE Houston Texans
79 Chris Cook CB Minnesota Vikings
80 Zach Strief OT New Orleans Saints
81 Rashad Jennings RB Oakland Raiders
82 Kevin Williams DT Minnesota Vikings
83 Matt Cassel QB Minnesota Vikings
84 Jon Beason LB Carolina Panthers
85 Darren Sproles RB New Orleans Saints
86 Clinton McDonald DT Seattle Seahawks
87 Perry Riley LB Washington
88 Evan Dietrich-Smith C Green Bay Packers
89 Josh McCown QB Chicago Bears
90 Alex Carrington DE Buffalo Bills
91 James Starks RB Green Bay Packers
92 Antonio Cromartie CB New York Jets
93 Earl Mitchell DT Houston Texans
94 Doug Baldwin WR Seattle Seahawks
95 Dexter McCluster RB Kansas City Chiefs
96 Josh Freeman QB Minnesota Vikings
97 Dustin Keller TE Miami Dolphins
98 Robert Ayers DE Denver Broncos
99 Ted Ginn WR Carolina Panthers
100 Andre Brown RB New York Giants

Considered but Missed the List:
Toby Gerhart (RB Minnesota Vikings); Ziggy Hood (DT Pittsburgh Steelers); O'Brien Schofield (LB Seattle Seahawks); Austin Howard (OT New York Jets); Mike Mitchell (S Carolina Panthers); Asante Samuel (CB Atlanta Falcons); Ropati Pitoitua (DE Tennessee Titans); Kenny Britt (WR Tennessee Titans); Breno Giacomini (OT Seattle Seahawks).

http://www.bing.com/news/search?q=list+of+2014+free+agents+nfl&qs=SC&form=QBNT&pq=list+of+2014+free+agents%2C+nfl&sc=1-29&sp=1&sk=
That list has Sydney Rice ranked ahead of Darren Sproles . Yes Sproles is a bit of a shell of his former self, but I'd still think he is better then Sydney Rice
Originally posted by kentc1978:
That list has Sydney Rice ranked ahead of Darren Sproles . Yes Sproles is a bit of a shell of his former self, but I'd still think he is better then Sydney Rice

The ranking system is stupid...that said, the list was pasted for you guys to help ID the under-the-radar Second/Third Tier FA's Baalke is known for bringing in annually who end up playing huge dividens for us. See any from this list?
Per MB: Dolphins cornerback Nolan Carroll. He was a fifth-round pick for Miami in 2010. At 6-1, 205 pounds, the 27-year-old Carroll also fits the mold of the bigger, physical cornerback the 49ers and other teams are seeking.

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2014/03/brown-drawing-interest-49ers-checking-out-alternatives-at-cornerback.html#storylink=cpy

This is mold Baalke has been going after (esp. last year) as well vs. the micro-CB's. Good looking out MB.
Share 49ersWebzone