There are 137 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2014 Team Needs - Updates

Originally posted by dtg_9er:
There are only two years to go by, but there seems to be enough of a pattern to say:

CB--Donatell and Fangio like experience at this positiion and are willing to give up a bit of play making for consistency and limiting mistakes.

QB--They need someone who can come in and play right away for a few games. If CK is out for the year the hopes are gone so they just need a guy who can keep the ship in a straight line.

S--Both FAcy and the draft if they can use a high enough pick.

WR--Same as S.

I agree completely that they need to draft for high quality over quantity this year. If they can move up a bit and get top playmakers great!

The FA period will be fun to watch here very shortly; it will surely help answer some moves we may make in the draft!
Originally posted by SaksV:
Top 5 Needs in order IMHO:

1. Cornerback
2. Slot Receiver
3. Safety
4. Backup Quarterback
5. Inside Linebacker

And by slot receiver, I'm assuming you mean a "speed" guy, correct?

Gotcha down as well! Nice work.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i believe we will sign no new free agents at all. the only exception may be if we can not sign whitner.
Originally posted by cciowa:
i believe we will sign no new free agents at all. the only exception may be if we can not sign whitner.

4 days and 2 hours to go until FA!
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000331595/article/nfc-west-free-agency-needs-seahawks-49ers-still-can-improve

"Top priority in free agency: Defensive line.

Other areas of interest: Safety, interior offensive line, cornerback."

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:

4 days and 2 hours to go until FA!
they better not mess around and take a chance that no one has a interest in dawson. he is more of a priority than whitner in my opinion

1. Cornerback
2. Slot Receiver
3. Safety
4. Backup Quarterback
5. Inside Linebacker

With Nick Moody, Mike Wilhoite, and Skuta even able to play inside.. I can't say I see why ILB makes the list...
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

1. Cornerback
2. Slot Receiver
3. Safety
4. Backup Quarterback
5. Inside Linebacker

With Nick Moody, Mike Wilhoite, and Skuta even able to play inside.. I can't say I see why ILB makes the list...
agree. the only way i see them drafting a inside backer is if a guy from iowa, whose name i can not remember, is there in the 4th. should we throw in a back up center maybe in the 5th or something to give kilgore some competition?
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

1. Cornerback
2. Slot Receiver
3. Safety
4. Backup Quarterback
5. Inside Linebacker

agree. the only way i see them drafting a inside backer is if a guy from iowa, whose name i can not remember, is there in the 4th. should we throw in a back up center maybe in the 5th or something to give kilgore some competition?

Could happen, if the right prospect and value presents itself. I don't think we need to make it a focus though. Snyder will likely be back and giving Kilgore the real camp competition.. and I've read that Looney has been getting C looks as well.
Originally posted by defenderDX:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000331595/article/nfc-west-free-agency-needs-seahawks-49ers-still-can-improve

"Top priority in free agency: Defensive line.

Other areas of interest: Safety, interior offensive line, cornerback."

Hmmm, to the points above as well, I could see the DE position being a top first round pick per the team needs ONLY b/c there is so much depth this year at the other positions of need such as CB, S & WR.

That said, on MD's big board, he's got Marcus Martin USC C ranked at 71...so 3rd round could fulfill this top C pick (just in case Kilgore doesn't pan out as expected). Then again, C seems like a position Baalke would lock up a veteran 2nd or third tier FA for cheap.

But damn it, we need a dynamic returner!
Get ready for a whole lot of nothing for the Niners next week, unless it involves re-signing Whitner.

Then again, I would love it if Baalke pulls off another Glenn Dorsey type signing that surprises us all.
Is Phil Dawson a FA? they should re-sign him.
What QB would you trade Pryor for ? Straight up-
To the 49ers for Colt McCoy.
49ers get a poor man's Kaepernick to back him up and we get some competition for McGloin to hold down the fort for whomever the QB of the future is going to be.
http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/oakland-raiders-forum-message-board/203227-what-qb-would-you-trade-pryor-straight-up-2.html
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Get ready for a whole lot of nothing for the Niners next week, unless it involves re-signing Whitner.

Then again, I would love it if Baalke pulls off another Glenn Dorsey type signing that surprises us all.

Absolutely. From another post on Baalke's FA moves just last year (man, did he hit on these or what!?):

...He hit on every single one of these guys for last year: DT Tony Jerod-Eddie, NT Glenn Dorsey, LB Dan Skuta, S Craig Dahl, K Phil Dawson*, OL Adam Snyder, LS Kevin McDermott, S Bubba Ventrone, CB Eric Wright*, WR Kassim Osgood*, S Darryl Morris, FB Will Tukuafu & CB Perrish Cox

These are the other FA's he didn't hit on for last year's contributions but...
FB Alex Debniak - probably would have been huge for us but got hurt early and Harbaugh didn't go with Jason Schepler or Owen Mericic and even Will Tukuafu got hurt after Miller did. It cost us more than we realized.
OT Luke Marquardt - nothing but glowing reports about this guys shape/size/upside
DT Lawrence Okoye - has now had a full year learning the pro game and being coached by Tomsula
TE Derek Carrier - started hearing good things about him last year (a replacement for Celek?)
G Ryan Seymour - hearing good things about this guy for 2014

So in short, every single FA pick up Baalke had last year panned out last year (some in a HUGE way) and there is a chance some will pan out this year for us as well!I'd expect a few more of these under-the-radar picks this year as well.
I think we go after Josh McCown next wk to put some age behind Kap and a QB that protects the ball.