3rd: CB/LB/DL
3rd: MLB/DL
4th: FB/WR
4th:WR
5th:OLB
6th:Best Available
7th:Best Available
7th:Best Available

Excellent. You could even go S (S with range - depending on what happens with Whitner) or CB #1 now and someone like WR Donte Moncrief in the 2nd hopefully. This would be ideal b/c we get a top-notch talent at WR but without the first round stigma and expectations and a year or two to learn from Boldin.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 3, 2014 at 2:21 PM ]
Wow, FO just keeps 'em coming!

Cam Inman ‏@CamInman Like Anquan Boldin, #49ers secondary coach Ed Donatell also signed 2-year contract, per source. Talks underway for Vic Fangio extension

Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/173544-our-defensive-coordinator-vic-fangio/page10/#Dez6zrFjUDEo1WB9.99
What's up, my man, NC?!? Don't imagine we have much doubt about team needs at this point, but for me? I'd go:

rd 1 - CB/S
rd 2 - QB2
rd 2 - S/CB
rd 3 - WR

( other rd 3 traded to move up in rd 2 for the QB )

rds 4-7 - whatever depth that meets BPA... DL-OL-more DB or WR- LB

Ever want to check out my rankings... they be here ------------> http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=542521

peace, brother!
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
What's up, my man, NC?!? Don't imagine we have much doubt about team needs at this point, but for me? I'd go:

rd 1 - CB/S
rd 2 - QB2
rd 2 - S/CB
rd 3 - WR

( other rd 3 traded to move up in rd 2 for the QB )

rds 4-7 - whatever depth that meets BPA... DL-OL-more DB or WR- LB

Ever want to check out my rankings... they be here ------------> http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=542521

peace, brother!

Fantastic! We've got you for the records as well. Good to see you back around ol' NT!

And great draft work. I will certainly look to it as a reference.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 3, 2014 at 5:52 PM ]
Lots of updates on the OP. Anyone have anything to add?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
the need to sign dawson
rd 1 CB
RD 2 WR
rd 2 DL
rd 3 S
RD 3 QB
RD 4 ILB
rd 5 OL
rd 6 OLB
rd 7 TE
rd 7 WR

just my 2 cents
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
rd 1 CB
RD 2 WR
rd 2 DL
rd 3 S
RD 3 QB
RD 4 ILB
rd 5 OL
rd 6 OLB
rd 7 TE
rd 7 WR

just my 2 cents

You're locked in. Thanks for your perspective on teams needs/draft!
Originally posted by cciowa:
the need to sign dawson

No doubt. I have him under the Cap Ramifications/Potential Cuts: category. AB81Rules (as in Anquan Boldin, not Arnaz Battle ) even has some contract projections for him. Once signed, he'll be moved up to the Gains/Moves: category!

But no doubt, we need this guy!
NC--great thread, thanks!

Top Tier: SS, CB, WR, QB
Second Tier: OC, OT, ILB
Third Teir: Everybody else

Rd 1/2 SS/FS: They need a Whitner replacement or back up who can be a long term bookend for Reid. Would like to see one who can play either position--great cover. Neither Spillman nor Dahl strike me as a future starter.

Rd 1/2 CB: Need to find another guy or two who can add speed and skll. Culliver, Brock, Morris, Cox...good depth, but they need to try and find a guy who can dominate a side of the field--shut down guy.

Rd 1/2 WR: Their top five may be pretty solid but injuries make this spot a top need. Boldin, Crabtree, Patton, Manningham and Baldwin...need a guy who can push Boldin and Crabtree for a top spot...play maker and another solid, young Boldin type to replace him in two years. Lots of really good talent this year, nows the time.

Rd 3 QB: If the team keeps McCoy--fine--but they really need a young guy to develop and push Kaepernick.

Rd 3 CB: See above

Rd 4 DT/NT: This may not be a need but they should always add depth to the lines for TC competition.

Rd 4 OC: They may have their long term guy in Kilgore but if they let Goodwin go they need to upgrade a backup/future starter. Someone who can play all three interior spots.

Rd 5 OT: Depth to compete with Marquardt and Bykowski...should have a long awkward name to keep in line with these two.

Rd 6 WR: Depth and/or return capability.

Rd 7 SS: Depth and competition.

Rd 7 CB: Annual injury pick--someone like Colvin to get a good long term prospect.

Rd 7 WR: Another annual injury guy to compete--perhaps Tevin Reece.

As you have indicated NC, all of this depends on FA signings, but this is how I would chart the draft today. I believe they may fill CB and QB with FAs.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Mar 7, 2014 at 7:07 AM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
NC--great thread, thanks!

Top Tier: SS, CB, WR, QB
Second Tier: OC, OT, ILB
Third Teir: Everybody else

Rd 1/2 SS/FS: They need a Whitner replacement or back up who can be a long term bookend for Reid. Would like to see one who can play either position--great cover. Neither Spillman nor Dahl strike me as a future starter.

Rd 1/2 CB: Need to find another guy or two who can add speed and skll. Culliver, Brock, Morris, Cox...good depth, but they need to try and find a guy who can dominate a side of the field--shut down guy.

Rd 1/2 WR: Their top five may be pretty solid but injuries make this spot a top need. Boldin, Crabtree, Patton, Manningham and Baldwin...need a guy who can push Boldin and Crabtree for a top spot...play maker and another solid, young Boldin type to replace him in two years. Lots of really good talent this year, nows the time.

Rd 3 QB: If the team keeps McCoy--fine--but they really need a young guy to develop and push Kaepernick.

Rd 3 CB: See above

Rd 4 DT/NT: This may not be a need but they should always add depth to the lines for TC competition.

Rd 4 OC: They may have their long term guy in Kilgore but if they let Goodwin go they need to upgrade a backup/future starter. Someone who can play all three interior spots.

Rd 5 OT: Depth to compete with Marquardt and Bykowski...should have a long awkward name to keep in line with these two.

Rd 6 WR: Depth and/or return capability.

Rd 7 SS: Depth and competition.

Rd 7 CB: Annual injury pick--someone like Colvin to get a good long term prospect.

Rd 7 WR: Another annual injury guy to compete--perhaps Tevin Reece.

As you have indicated NC, all of this depends on FA signings, but this is how I would chart the draft today. I believe they may fill CB and QB with FAs.

Very well done! And thanks for your insight...we can adjust as we go esp. after FA but I agree on many of these fronts. Looking at the Baalke-moves last year, he does have quite an eye for targeting second and even third-tier FA's who end up playing huge for us so I expect him to make similar moves this year as well (like you said, perhaps at CB. S, C, QB. DL, FB. etc.). I have a feeling this draft will be all about quality. Like you said, we want 3 key areas (CB, S & WR) and the quality to push starters THIS year but also be in position to start next year and as LT solutions. Well done.
Also want to put this info here so we can revisit at the end of next season:

Let's take a look at our real offense...whatever the heck it is @ full strength:
Kaepernick in his first 11 regular-season games in 2013 (without Crabtree): 156 of 275 (56.7), 2,037 yards (185.2 per game), 14 TD, 7 INT (86.6 rating)
Kaepernick in 8 games with Crabtree and Anquan Boldin (including playoffs): 132 of 233 (56.7), 1,736 yards (217.0 per game), 10 TD, 4 INT (91.3 rating)
Read more at http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2014/03/03/offensive-weapons-could-provide-kaepernick-with-franchise-qb-season/

So what should we expect for this offense (and CK) next year?

2014 Projection Totals (Passing Game) - Team Leaders:
Kaepernick - will have a completion percentage of 56.7 & and pass for an average of 217 yards a game (3,487 for the year) and throw for 20 TD's and 8 INT's and have a QB rating of 91.3.
Boldin - will average 6.1 catches a game for an average of 85 yards a game (1,364 for the year)
Crabtree - will average 4.25 catches a game for an average of 61 yards a game (976 for the year)
Davis - will average 2.4 catches a game for an average of 35 yards a game (562 for the year)
Miller - will be the 3rd leading receiver on the team (targets).

FYI: Davis' numbers really fell off once Crabtree came back. These were his last 8 games in yards (82, 21, 79, 0, 45, 37, 1, 16). Also, Boldin & Crabtree's numbers may reverse given CK's chemistry with Crabtree. And last year's CK projections IIRC were spot on as well. So tailor your expectations appropriately (see below).

Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/177391-west-coast-offense/page7/#LfvT4arbQ05XHLWZ.99

Let's look at production from a Harbaugh offense over the past 10 years:
Qb's averaged a 62.3% completion rate with 22 TD's and 8 INT's.

So, that's right in line with CK's projections for next year as well:
Kaepernick - will have a completion percentage of 56.7 & and pass for an average of 217 yards a game (3,487 for the year) and throw for 20 TD's and 8 INT's and have a QB rating of 91.3.

We may see a slight improvement in completion percentage (from 56.7% closer to the average @ 62.3%) with Boldin and Crabtree healthy to start the year. And perhaps, HaRoMan/Geep will coach up CK to utilize the check-downs a bit more (could make a huge difference). Another big factor in this will be success of running on first downs so we won't constantly be in 2nd & 3rd and longs. That should help with the completion percentage as well.

But the bottom line is, the Stanford/Bo Schemblacher offense is consistent in their philosophy...ground-game focus, TOP-controlled, low TO's, conservative esp. in the RZ and the passing game is merely used as an extention of this conservative approach (schemed AR 1 or 2's and primary read-centric in PS plays/formations). So fans that have different expectations of an explosive offense needs to look at history under Harbaugh and these stats when both Crabtree and Boldin were healthy (8 games & 16-game projection). It may also have an adverse effect on VD's numbers as well as evidenced above.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 7, 2014 at 7:39 AM ]
There are only two years to go by, but there seems to be enough of a pattern to say:

CB--Donatell and Fangio like experience at this positiion and are willing to give up a bit of play making for consistency and limiting mistakes.

QB--They need someone who can come in and play right away for a few games. If CK is out for the year the hopes are gone so they just need a guy who can keep the ship in a straight line.

S--Both FAcy and the draft if they can use a high enough pick.

WR--Same as S.

I agree completely that they need to draft for high quality over quantity this year. If they can move up a bit and get top playmakers great!
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Top 5 Needs in order IMHO:

1. Cornerback
2. Slot Receiver
3. Safety
4. Backup Quarterback
5. Inside Linebacker