LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 270 users in the forums

2014 Team Needs - Updates

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
The battle for #2 qb will be interesting. IMO it will be between Johnson and Gabbert but there is such a huge drop off between Colin and the rest of em it's kinda scary.

I think Johnson is a much better fit for our offense should CK go down. Plus he's 30 and let's be real here...he's done be a starter anywhere. If he plays well in pre season, with Harbaugh's comfort level with him, they could cut/trade Gabbert (salaryt is an issue) and sign Johnson for 3 years to be a FT backup. But that's not really our M.O. so this should be interesting. If we stay with Gabbert who's still very young, his contract is guranateed plus at his age, he'll want to syart somewhere soon. Plus his game is opposite of CK so if he went into the game, we'd have to change offensive game plans pretty dramatically IMHO.

Johnson is just an extra body, as he was a WR a couple of days ago.

I think he's been on the team the last 3 years and always gets cut. That trend will continue
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

I think he's been on the team the last 3 years and always gets cut. That trend will continue

Very possible...he knows this offense like the back of his hand (x100 compared to Gabbert at the moment). That shouldn't be discredited. But this is very possible if Gabbert shows well and is picking up the offense quicker than expected and Harbaugh feels like he can mold him into a decent backup.
Very possible...he knows this offense like the back of his hand (x100 compared to Gabbert at the moment). That shouldn't be discredited. But this is very possible if Gabbert shows well and is picking up the offense quicker than expected and Harbaugh feels like he can mold him into a decent backup.

Johnson is 28, but your point still stands. Neither QB would be a safe bet in the playoffs so I would agree with you that Johnson is the cheaper, better fit for the 9ers. Gabbert may be fixable, but then his trade value goes up. Just depend on what they want to do with the rest of the roster...don't see keeping three QBs but they need a 3rd just in case of injuries...my choice would have been a developmental guy late in the draft--perhaps Faulkner or Bethel-Thompson on the practice squad?
I just don't see gabbert realistically coming in and taking over for kap in the event he is minimally injured (3-4 weeks). His most recent showings before being benched were truly forgettable...ok, awful. Josh on the other hand, knows the system, has not had a horrendous recent showing, and for my money is a way better bet to get us over a few weeks without kap than gabber could ever do.

As strong as this team is and with its remarkable depth, the F.O. is sure betting the farm on kap staying healthy. And sure, no reason to think he won't be...right up until the time somebody rolls up on his left ankle or, well you know the myriad injuries that can take a QB out for a month or so. And it just seems unreasonable that gabbert with his recent past showing is nowhere near the QB we need to get by the non elites in a potential kap absence. Gabbert is a long term redo project, and josh is basically ready to come in and play in relief. The gabbert acquisition still puzzles me, when nobody can realistically imagine him coming in off the bench and helping us win against non elites like today. Josh can do that, IMO, and gabbert is way way far away from being anywhere near ready to do that. (based on his play prior to benching at his last stop). So gabbert is long term project, but yet we need someone ready to come in and start. How can Gab do that when he needs so much remedial coaching?

On the face of it, it looks like a good idea but not well thot thru. And we can't wait for a yr or two, for Gabbert to come in and be ready to start. Yet until josh was signed that is exactly where we were on QB backups. It still isn't too late to trade him to a team with NO QB, but cripes, who will want him? HIs past track record is not what we need. We need a guy for now, and gabbert seems a yr or two away from that. With all the other back up parts we have on this team, how could gabbert have fit into the slot of immediately coming in and starting if kap goes down? That is the one and ONLY flaw I see in an otherwise remarkable lineup. Maybe I am missing something, but I don't see what. This was just a puzzler from the git go.
Josh is MUCH better equipped to step in as a starter for us if Kap went down.

Gabb took way too many hits and IMO he isn't nearly as ready to produce. He's going to need some time to regain composure and learn our offense.
it will be interesting to see if they really limit kap's running this year, like they did early last year. colt wasn't going to get it done and they knew it.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninergold:
it will be interesting to see if they really limit kap's running this year, like they did early last year. colt wasn't going to get it done and they knew it.

he had a bad foot for about half the year. if the team would not get into so many third and predictable situations, he would not have to take off and run so much in my opinion
There are no more needs. Baalke killed it
The Bay Area's own GOOSE the bulldog (& 49er faithful) is in Justin Timberlake's new music video for "Not A Bad Thing"! If his picture gets most likes, JT will surprise him next week. Please support the bay and like his picture! Thanks in advance! http://justintimberlake.com/news/2014/notabadlovestory-now-its-your-turn-to-play-cupid/

[ Edited by 49ersSC on Jun 8, 2014 at 2:56 PM ]
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Since the roster is so stacked (minus QB), I think it's time to maybe start looking at which coaches are the weaker link...

I'm a bit weary of Mangini coaching a young Vance McDonald...I don't want him to screw things up..
[ Edited by SaksV on Jun 8, 2014 at 4:23 PM ]

Originally posted by 49ersSC:
The Bay Area's own GOOSE the bulldog (& 49er faithful) is in Justin Timberlake's new music video for "Not A Bad Thing"! If his picture gets most likes, JT will surprise him next week. Please support the bay and like his picture! Thanks in advance! http://justintimberlake.com/news/2014/notabadlovestory-now-its-your-turn-to-play-cupid/

Trust me, the dog will not be "surprised" by Justin Timberlake. The dog could care less, just like most of us.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Josh spent time playing WR because on that particular day they were low on receivers due to some guys being out and minor injuries.

Wouldn't count Josh out just yet either. His skill set is much more similar to Kap's, he knows the offense, and he's a more experienced vet. Personally, I'd feel better with Johnson should Kap go down than Gabbert at this point.

I don't think Gabbert is just going to be handed the back up spot (nor should he). He needs to earn it. And if he's still sucking as much as the reports coming out of OTAs says he is by preseason, I'd feel very uneasy with him behind Kap come start of the season.
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
There are no more needs. Baalke killed it

LOL! Pretty much...I'd still put OT on the list as we lost Marquardt and kicked Netter to the curb.
Originally posted by SaksV:
Since the roster is so stacked (minus QB), I think it's time to maybe start looking at which coaches are the weaker link...

I'm a bit weary of Mangini coaching a young Vance McDonald...I don't want him to screw things up..

That could be a great conversation!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SaksV:

That could be a great conversation!

i think we all know where that conversation will lead to for some of us
Share 49ersWebzone