LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 293 users in the forums

2014 Team Needs - Updates

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Getting CK done before camp is huge.

That would leave Crabs and Iupati and Aldon to deal with in that order.

Crabs - I don't think we'll be able financially to resign him. IMO, he'll be going for the green and some team will offer him way more than we will.

Iupati - I think he's gone. Based on our draft picks. we'll be saving lots of $$$ by letting him walk. If the new guys can fill his position then great. The wars are still won in the trenches.

Aldon - to early to tell - depends on legal issues.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Getting CK done before camp is huge.

That would leave Crabs and Iupati and Aldon to deal with in that order.

Crabs - I don't think we'll be able financially to resign him. IMO, he'll be going for the green and some team will offer him way more than we will.

Iupati - I think he's gone. Based on our draft picks. we'll be saving lots of $$$ by letting him walk. If the new guys can fill his position then great. The wars are still won in the trenches.

Aldon - to early to tell - depends on legal issues.

That's pretty much how I see it as well which is why the Stevie Johnson signing was huge for us. If Crabtree walks to the Raiders for more $, we're at least prepared for it WITH guys such as Patton and Ellington waiting in the wings...plus the draft where we could easily move up to get a top WR. So we're good. Like the fair contracts we offered Brown and Whitner, it will be on Crabtree if he wants to be here or not.

Iupati, it will be on him as well...we have tons of depth there and may even have better all-around players waiting in the wings.

Aldon, we've got a few years before we have to worry about that one and we've (as of today) acquired Skuta, Lemonier, Lynch and Breslin to groom in the interim.
A new O coordinator
NC we are now $2.853M under the cap.

For those who are wondering, I think this is to get the rooks under contract, we only had enough to sign Ellington and Thomas to their rookie deals before this.

Kap's deal will come after June 1st, when we get over $6M in cap room.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
NC we are now $2.853M under the cap.

For those who are wondering, I think this is to get the rooks under contract, we only had enough to sign Ellington and Thomas to their rookie deals before this.

Kap's deal will come after June 1st, when we get over $6M in cap room.

My man, thanks for keeping me on my toes! Updated...
3 rookies left to sign!
Originally posted by NCommand:
3 rookies left to sign!

I'm so glad the deals are slotted now. That garbage with Crabtree his rookie year was ridiculous.
Not only ridiculous, it hurt team morale. Holding out thru midseason as a rook, because he knows he is better than how he was drafted, is a really bad thing on the field, in the locker room, and at the dinner table. A holdout is one thing. A half season hold out is screwing your own guys. The number of guys who have done that are very very few. As rooks, way way fewer. Bad karma, bad for team morale, bad for team W/L record, and it makes the F.O. look foolish, and that includes the HC.

Crabs is a real talent. We have gotten exactly 1 season and change out of him in a total of 5(or is it 4 yrs)?. Holding out means he didn't learn his playbook until virtually the next yr, holding out leads to injuries...which he had, and holding out half a season is enough to get your teammates think a lot less of you. In a word, a lengthy protracted holdout is DESTRUCTIVE to the entire team, especially if the guy would have been a starter. Yes he has talent ...when not injured...but his body of work for us has been shortchanged by all the above...and somebody really thinks he is going to take less to stay here? C'mon.

Personally, I'd much rather take a guy who is team first, thru and thru. Sadly that isn't crabs.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Not only ridiculous, it hurt team morale. Holding out thru midseason as a rook, because he knows he is better than how he was drafted, is a really bad thing on the field, in the locker room, and at the dinner table. A holdout is one thing. A half season hold out is screwing your own guys. The number of guys who have done that are very very few. As rooks, way way fewer. Bad karma, bad for team morale, bad for team W/L record, and it makes the F.O. look foolish, and that includes the HC.

Crabs is a real talent. We have gotten exactly 1 season and change out of him in a total of 5(or is it 4 yrs)?. Holding out means he didn't learn his playbook until virtually the next yr, holding out leads to injuries...which he had, and holding out half a season is enough to get your teammates think a lot less of you. In a word, a lengthy protracted holdout is DESTRUCTIVE to the entire team, especially if the guy would have been a starter. Yes he has talent ...when not injured...but his body of work for us has been shortchanged by all the above...and somebody really thinks he is going to take less to stay here? C'mon.

Personally, I'd much rather take a guy who is team first, thru and thru. Sadly that isn't crabs.

It hurt him big time, he lost a year of Free Agency, he should be a FA this past offseason. But him and Eugene Parker decided he was worth more than the slot, even though there wasn't a slotting system in place in 2009. All 2009 1st rd picks signed 5 yr deals, or 6 that voided to 5, Crabs got 6 years, no void.

The slotting system is much better. Over half of the draftees this year have signed their rookie deals, and it hasn't been more than 2 weeks since the draft ended.
And here comes the rookies...and second (first) year players!

Rookies
QB Kory Faulkner
RB Carlos Hyde
FB Trey Millard
WR Bruce Ellington
TE Asante Cleveland
C Marcus Martin
C/G Dillon Farrell
G Fouimalo Fonoti
G Brandon Thomas
DL Kaleb Ramsey
OLB Aaron Lynch
OLB Morgan Breslin
ILB Chris Borland
ILB Shayne Skov
CB Dontae Johnson
CB Kenneth Acker
CB Keith Reaser
S Jimmie Ward
S James McCray

First-year Players
RB Marcus Lattimore
WR Chuck Jacobs
OL Carter Bykowski
OL Luke Marquardt
OL Al Netter
DL Mike Purcell
P Colton Schmidt

Tryouts
RB Anthony Wilkerson (Stanford)
FB Patrick Su'a (Fresno State)
WR Kevin Cummings (Oregon State)
WR Jerry Rice Jr. (UNLV)
TE Kane Friel (Brigham Young)
TE Kevin Greene (USC)
TE Taylor Sloat (UC Davis)
NT Viliami Moala (Cal)
LB Colin Kelly (UC Davis)
LB Chase Thomas (Stanford)
CB Drayton Allen-Calhoun (Middle Tennessee State)
CB Cameron Fuller (New Mexico State)
S Courtney Avery (Michigan)
S A.J. Highsmith (Miami)
LS Jimmy Davenport (Faulkner)
[ Edited by NCommand on May 23, 2014 at 2:37 PM ]

Thomas signed...2 more to go.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 23, 2014 at 3:26 PM ]

I haven't been keeping track. Who's left?
Originally posted by oldninerdude:

Martin & Ellington.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:

Martin & Ellington.

Thanks! You the man!
It's good that they have slot system in place for rookie signing. It was totally ridiculous this time of the year when the system wasn't in place. Agents playing holdout games asking for money that makes no sense regarding their player's perceived potential. When in reality they haven't done jacks**t in the NFL.
Share 49ersWebzone