LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 347 users in the forums

2014 Team Needs - Updates

Shop Find 49ers gear online
3 Questions, NC, and pardon for my ignorance:

Future reserve contracts: what are they , do they count against cap( I assume not) and is their function to tie a guy up 1 yr?

Is Brandon LLoyd's money due him when he gets cut?

Still concerned re: what happens if kap should get hurt. Seriously hurt(out for the yr, ok, we are screwed). I am talking about a severe high ankle sprain, hammy, wrist sprain(say rt hand, anything non lethal w/r/to football injury)and out for 3-4 weeks...is the F.O. feeling that Gabbert can come in and win against non elites, and then just mail it in against elite teams? I ask because I have seen him play a little more than sparingly, and if there were one starter in the NFL that I would NOT have picked, he is it. Really, does anyone, including Coach, think he can win against the Non elite teams? Obviously this would have to be a non season ending injury for kap, ie, we need someone to win the games against the cream puffs. Is sentiment such that Gabbert could do that? My impression is that he couldn't. I was hoping for a matt Flynn, Kassel type. We got JH's gabbert. Anybody else worried about this?
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on May 13, 2014 at 3:15 PM ]
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
3 Questions, NC, and pardon for my ignorance:

Future reserve contracts: what are they , do they count against cap( I assume not) and is their function to tie a guy up 1 yr?

Is Brandon LLoyd's money due him when he gets cut?

Still concerned re: what happens if kap should get hurt. Seriously hurt(out for the yr, ok, we are screwed). I am talking about a severe high ankle sprain, hammy, wrist sprain(say rt hand, anything non lethal w/r/to football injury)and out for 3-4 weeks...is the F.O. feeling that Gabbert can come in and win against non elites, and then just mail it in against elite teams? I ask because I have seen him play a little more than sparingly, and if there were one starter in the NFL that I would NOT have picked, he is it. Really, does anyone, including Coach, think he can win against the Non elite teams? Obviously this would have to be a non season ending injury for kap, ie, we need someone to win the games against the cream puffs. Is sentiment such that Gabbert could do that? My impression is that he couldn't. I was hoping for a matt Flynn, Kassel type. We got JH's gabbert. Anybody else worried about this?

AB81Rules is the expert in this category but "my" understanding is that future reserve contracts are nothing more than a promise ring. You don't pay a dime until you both say "I do." LOL. So, I don't believe they count until they sign the I-made-the-team contract. I don't believe Lloyd would be paid a dime unless there was guaranteed money and I doubt we offered that up. He won't make a dime either unless he makes the team.

As to CK's backup? You mean the guys that changes every other week? Ha. Gabbert, if groomed properly reminds me more of Alex than CK. I wasn't too thrilled when we lost BJ Daniels as he seemed to fit CK's style the more. I don't know much about our UDFA QB either. It's a safe worry to have, no doubt. But who knows, maybe Harbaugh can hit ctrl+alt+delete on Gabbert and build him up. But I did find it inetersting that he goes after a pocket-passer. And the UDFA QB is a pocket passer as well? Wouldn't you want someone as close to CK as possible so that the team doesn't have to change gears upon an injury to CK?
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
So question for you: can the Niners use Ward's versatility to disguise their coverage schemes? Put him in as the nickel CB on third downs and then drop him back into a cover two scheme?

Or go the other direction, with a Seattle-like one man (Reid) deep and Ward and the CBs in press coverage on third and long, after first showing something else? And wouldn't Moody fit into that "camouflage" defense as well?

Is Fangio creative enough to try something like that?

The interest in bigger, longer press corners (Cook, for one) seems to indicate that there may be a change of some kind coming for the defense.

And if Ward is what they say he is, and plays like he does in the clips I've seen, he may be my favorite rookie!

Here's my two cents. The problem with Fangio was never the base defense. He's the master of the base defense, he's done the dome patrol throughout his whole coaching carrer. The dome patrol is 4 linebackers in a base 3-4 defense with 4 DB's. His weakness - in my opinion - was Nickel Defense. The Dome Patrol defense in New Orleans was decimated by Montana and Company because an elite QB and good WR's can defeat the base Lebeu zone blitz defense. But it takes a good QB to do it, and they only show up in the playoffs.

This drafts attempts to cure the weakness of the Nickel Defense by getting a good coverage DB in Ward. As for variations on the Nickel D. You have Moody (as NCommand astutely stated) taking the possible role of SS/LB like Kam in Seattle. Moody and Kam aren't that far apart in weight. In my mind, we do have more depth and versatility at the DB position, but I still have question marks as to whether this defensive backfield can hold up to the elite passing attacks of the NFL. But on *paper* it looks like we have a stronger Nickel D, which is what I wanted going into the draft.

Chris Borland was an interesting pick and a telling one, in my opinion because he's not the typical speedy athletic LB pick that Fangio Likes. He's more of a Jack Reynolds type of LB - short and slow but has a nose for the ball. This is now two years in a row that the Front office has used it's highest draft capital on DB's. (Reid last year and Ward this year) I think the Borland and Ward picks signal a change in defensive philosophy. I think Fangio and the front office has changed priorities and put the Nickel D number 1 and the base defense as number 2. (why else does is a DB drafted before a LB?) I think in the near future (for the next 3+ years at least) the front office will have a goal of having the nickel D be the strength of this defense and devote high round picks to it in the future. That means drafting a DB again next year in the high rounds in addition to the 3 DB's in a row picked at rounds 5, 6, and 7 in this years draft.

Several reasons for the nickel to be the strength of this defense. 1. Kaepernick is predicted to become a top 5 QB and will be assumed to be able to score anywhere at will, and so teams will have to catch up to us via the pass. 2. Wilson and Bradford (More Wilson than Bradford) has to be stopped. Midget Wilson is going to be the SEattle QB for a long time and so we have to stop his passing game. 3. The reality is that very few teams in the NFL run the ball anymore and the Front office and the Coaching staff have decided to adjust to that reality and provide for a much stronger passing defense than in the past.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Add to that--Carradine on that front 4 on third down, passing downs. He, J.Smith, MacDonald and Dorsey could put some real pressure on a QB!

Looks like this is going to be a lot of fun to watch!

If Carradine pans out, and Ian remains healthy, this is going to be an outstanding group of defenders.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Add to that--Carradine on that front 4 on third down, passing downs. He, J.Smith, MacDonald and Dorsey could put some real pressure on a QB!

If Carradine pans out, and Ian remains healthy, this is going to be an outstanding group of defenders.

It's going to be nuts...Brooks and Aldon are very consistent coming off the edge, Skuta was great last year and he and Lemonier will be even BETTER this year...throw in Lynch possibly, then Williams inside and Carradine rushing from both LDE & RDE? Wow.
Originally posted by NCommand:

It's going to be nuts...Brooks and Aldon are very consistent coming off the edge, Skuta was great last year and he and Lemonier will be even BETTER this year...throw in Lynch possibly, then Williams inside and Carradine rushing from both LDE & RDE? Wow.

The niners will now be able to rest Justin and Mac a bit so they are fresh for the playoffs...that's a first! Not sure they will want to be rested but oh well! LOL! They may have two power lines on D to platoon...or at least rotate. Same with OLBs and if Borland works out ILBs as well. Of course, all this has to bear out and the coaches still have to have a winning game plan. But I don't think the niners in the 80s or 90s had anywhere near this overall depth...better starters in may cases but not depth.
Here's my two cents. The problem with Fangio was never the base defense. He's the master of the base defense, he's done the dome patrol throughout his whole coaching carrer. The dome patrol is 4 linebackers in a base 3-4 defense with 4 DB's. His weakness - in my opinion - was Nickel Defense. The Dome Patrol defense in New Orleans was decimated by Montana and Company because an elite QB and good WR's can defeat the base Lebeu zone blitz defense. But it takes a good QB to do it, and they only show up in the playoffs.

This drafts attempts to cure the weakness of the Nickel Defense by getting a good coverage DB in Ward. As for variations on the Nickel D. You have Moody (as NCommand astutely stated) taking the possible role of SS/LB like Kam in Seattle. Moody and Kam aren't that far apart in weight. In my mind, we do have more depth and versatility at the DB position, but I still have question marks as to whether this defensive backfield can hold up to the elite passing attacks of the NFL. But on *paper* it looks like we have a stronger Nickel D, which is what I wanted going into the draft.

Chris Borland was an interesting pick and a telling one, in my opinion because he's not the typical speedy athletic LB pick that Fangio Likes. He's more of a Jack Reynolds type of LB - short and slow but has a nose for the ball. This is now two years in a row that the Front office has used it's highest draft capital on DB's. (Reid last year and Ward this year) I think the Borland and Ward picks signal a change in defensive philosophy. I think Fangio and the front office has changed priorities and put the Nickel D number 1 and the base defense as number 2. (why else does is a DB drafted before a LB?) I think in the near future (for the next 3+ years at least) the front office will have a goal of having the nickel D be the strength of this defense and devote high round picks to it in the future. That means drafting a DB again next year in the high rounds in addition to the 3 DB's in a row picked at rounds 5, 6, and 7 in this years draft.

Several reasons for the nickel to be the strength of this defense. 1. Kaepernick is predicted to become a top 5 QB and will be assumed to be able to score anywhere at will, and so teams will have to catch up to us via the pass. 2. Wilson and Bradford (More Wilson than Bradford) has to be stopped. Midget Wilson is going to be the SEattle QB for a long time and so we have to stop his passing game. 3. The reality is that very few teams in the NFL run the ball anymore and the Front office and the Coaching staff have decided to adjust to that reality and provide for a much stronger passing defense than in the past.

Great post! Very well stated and convincing. What you say goes along way towards explaining this year's draft, what Baalke was doing with all those draft picks, and what we can expect next season, and beyond.

I am very hopeful that Fangio will adapt, will be willing to experiment a little, and will come up with some different schemes that take full advantage of the personnel and cause opposing offensive coordinators many sleepless nights.

I totally agree that the new focus will be on the nickel defense and on stopping the other team's passing attack. Makes a lot of sense. Of course, with a guy like Ward, there should be very little drop off in the run defense, since he's such a good tackler.
^^^OND, you'll love this film review of Jimmie Ward: http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/5/13/5700750/49ers-draft-picks-tape-study-jimmie-ward
^^^OND, you'll love this film review of Jimmie Ward: http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/5/13/5700750/49ers-draft-picks-tape-study-jimmie-ward

Wow! Great article. You made my day!

I cannot wait to see Ward in action, and to see how Fangio utilizes all of Ward's different skills and abilities.

And it may not happen immediately, but as Ward becomes more experienced, I still hope to see him used in different "camouflage" defenses. Starting out in one look, and then switching to another to confuse the opposing QB.

Great article! Thanks again. And thanks for all the work you've put into making this entire thread and keeping it up to date.
Biggest team need! Imo would be am extra 6-7 roster spots to keep n develope more players lol! Add 2 extra active roster spots opened up as well!!! Pipe dream but this would do a stacked team good to keep talent lol

Originally posted by frankie:
Biggest team need! Imo would be am extra 6-7 roster spots to keep n develope more players lol! Add 2 extra active roster spots opened up as well!!! Pipe dream but this would do a stacked team good to keep talent lol

Baalke is way ahead of you bro...it's called the PUP/NFI/IR list. LOL.

I cannot wait to see Ward in action, and to see how Fangio utilizes all of Ward's different skills and abilities.

And it may not happen immediately, but as Ward becomes more experienced, I still hope to see him used in different "camouflage" defenses. Starting out in one look, and then switching to another to confuse the opposing QB.

Great article! Thanks again. And thanks for all the work you've put into making this entire thread and keeping it up to date.

Absolutely my pleasure, OND. This thread helps keep my own ducks in a row as well.
Thanks man. I really like TJE as well and his future looks bright; he's young and cheap yet very productive. He's proven as well. I may have to rethink someone for sure on that. I recently made a few minor changes to the OP (notes) but that is one I'm going to have to think about given Carradine AND Williams are back and into the mix.

7 DLineman, 8 OL. TJE > Looney. I base that on watching Looney stumble through the preseason while watching TJE play well all year, including making strong plays on the goalline stands in Carolina. Dial would have to be pretty amazing right out of the gate to pass TJE, but I anticipate both making the roster.

Marquardt has potential, but has had recurring foot problems. If he can't make it, it will probably be Snyder and Looney playing for that last OL spot.
Originally posted by NinerGM:

Absolutely my pleasure, OND. This thread helps keep my own ducks in a row as well.

"Use the whole 53" - well that sounds like a challenge to you know who!!

Instead of the "37." Ding ding ding. Somebody gets it!

Agree with your analysis and believe they are building a unit so versatile that it will be impossible for offenses to know what they are doing. By having good coverage at LB, S and CB; while at the same time having solid run defenders at the same positions what do you call? Ward, Reid, Willis and Bowman are all capable of playing every down...but don't have to as they rotate in other guys in key roles...leaving this group well rested. Same is true with the DL as they may have seven or eight guys all capable of stopping the run and still putting pressure on the QB...freeing up Aldon, Brooks and Lemonier.

The CBs just need to stay with their guy as best they can and prevent easy completions...and tackle surely.

The key will be to stop Lynch from running wild, while still keeping Wilson contained...limiting passing production.
Share 49ersWebzone