Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Constantine:
1st: WR
2nd: Secondary CB
3rd: Defensive Line

You're in and accounted for!
Updated via draft picks
Originally posted by crabman82:
sigh, another fantasy football fan who doesnt understand how our front office operates. calvin johnson? michael bennett? vince wilfork?

Do you want to win or keep losing in the NFC Championship Game or Super Bowl? It's clear that we don't have enough on the team to win the big game.. 3 straight years of choking in the big moment is not good. I'm gonna laugh my butt off if the rely on UNPROVEN talent. It really worked out well for the Receivers didn't it.. If it wasn't for Boldin we don't even make the playoffs! And you want to rely on Tank? Tank who? Dude hasn't show me anything, except that he gets hurt.
^^^ TBF, looking at all the 2013 moves by Baalke, he does bring in a lot of FA's...mostly 2nd tier FA's but that is what helped put Seattle over the top; these older, quality FA pass rushers wanted to play for them. We are that same kind of team. I would not be surprised if we nab a few more this year as key role players or serious depth (perhaps at WR, S and ILB).
cant wait for FA & the Draft!
Originally posted by NCommand:
Time to start updating...need your help and input and links...Let's take a look at our team needs and I'll update accordingly:

Lost:
Defensive Assistant/Outside Linebackers Coach, Peter Hansen
Tim Drevno & Paul Wulff
Read more: http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/1/27/5351554/49ers-coaching-staff-defensive-assistant-peter-hansen-stanford

Gained/Moves:
2015 Draft Picks - #
2014 Draft Picks - Signings
WR Jon Baldwin - base salary in 2014 is now $645k (down from $1.4M). $755 available in (unreachable) incentives.
S Craig Dahl - base salary has been reduced from $1.35 million down to $825,000. That would be a $525,000 savings, plus he may have had his $250,000 roster bonus, and $50,000 workout bonus eliminated, which would make the savings as much as $825,000.

2014 Draft:
1. First round: Own pick, No. 30 overall
2. Second round: Kansas City pick in 2013 Alex Smith trade, No. 56 overall
3. Second round: Own pick, No. 61 overall
4. Third round: Tennessee pick in 2013 draft day trade, No. 77 overall
5. Third round: Own pick, No. 94 overall
6. Fourth round: Own pick, TBA
7. *Fourth round (or third round): Compensatory, TBA
8. Fifth round: Own pick, TBA
9. Sixth round: Own pick, TBA
10. Seventh round: New Orleans pick from Parys Haralson trade, TBA
11. Seventh round: Carolina pick from 2012 Colin Jones trade, TBA
12. Seventh round: Own pick, TBA

Note: * The 49ers are in position to gain at least one compensatory pick due to a net loss of qualifying 2013 free agents. The pick, resulting from Dashon Goldson's departure, is expected to be a third or fourth round selection.
UDFA's:

The Current 53/90: To be updated after the draft and FA
Offense: (IR)
QB:
RB:
FB:
X:
Y (SLOT):
Z:
TE:
LOT:
ROT:
LG:
RG:
C:

Defense: (IR)
RDE:
LDE:
NT:
WILL:
SAM:
MIKE:
TED:
RCB:
LCB:
SLOT/NICKLE:
FS:
SS:

Special Teams:
LS:
PK:
PR/KOR:

Unofficial Roster: http://www.49ers.com/team/roster.html

Cap Ramifications/Potential Cuts:
CB Carlos Rogers - expected to restructure or cut

Total Current Cap Figure: As of 2/25:
The 49ers are $10.097 million under, currently. Cap is expected to be at 132M+ now for 2014.
Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/98000-2014-49ers-salaries-10097-million-under-cap/#hpQdvkSwVvpTAoq5.99

Notes: The 2014 salary cap projections have been slowly creeping up, and we've got a new projection that could push it even higher. Previously, Adam Schefter projected a $130 million salary cap, and then John Clayton said might be as high as $132 million. Now, according to our lovely friends at Pro Football Talk, the 2014 NFL salary cap could end up "a few million" higher than $132 million. Furthermore, moving forward, similar annual increases are expected. Read more at http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/2/25/5446716/2014-nfl-salary-cap-projection

Team Needs: (Order of Importance:Top Tier, Second Tier & Third Tier)
Top Tier:
FB - We currently have Bruce Miller and Anthony Dixon. Last year I was screaming for Jason Scheplar to make the team...then was happy when we brought in Owen Marecic. In the end, we let both go and Miller got hurt and our running game (and partial receiving game) tanked esp. in the playoffs. Will we make the same mistake again?
C - Right now, our OL QB is Jonathan Goodwin but he's not expected to be back. Daniel Kilgore and Joe Looney have been training all year for a shot to start here (Looney, mostly at G) so don't be surprised if we make a run at the best C in the draft or even bring in another via FA like we did with Goodwin.
CB - We have Tramaine Brock, Tarell Brown, Carlos Rogers, Perrish Cox, Chris Culliver, Eric Wright and Darryl Morris. Again, like the DE position, we seem stacked on the surface but TB is up for FA and CR is making way too much money and has seemed to taper off a lot. Culliver is a big question mark coming off the injury and Darryl Morris and Eric Wright barely saw the field. Cox was a late add but played fairly well for us on the fly. We will probably go a top CB here and slowly develop him esp. if he has return abilities. Ideally, Culliver regains form and he and Brock light up the NFL with Morris quickly developing as a great slot CB with a top-tier rookie developing as the #4 to push both Brock and Culliver in the future. Don't expect to see another Marcus Cooper this go-round though.
S - Donte Whitner and Eric Reid had a good-to-great first year together but both were exposed in coverage during the playoffs (pattern for Whitner). We just restructured Craig Dahl as some insurance and C.J. Spillman is an excellent ST player. Trenton Robinson doesn't seem like he'll stick here. I have a feeling we'll spend a top pick for S this year and he'll be more of the mold of a FS with tremendous football IQ, range and coverage ability (ala Reid last year). Whitner's contract or willingness to hit FA may affect the draft approach here but probably not. They need a quality back-up here with tremendous upside as Reid had 2 concussions last year and we desperately need coverage ability on the back end esp. come playoff time.

Second Tier:
QB - With Colin Kaepernick and Colt McCoy, no doubt, we need another QB in the mold of CK himself should he ever go down. We lost a potential good one in B.J. Daniels this past year to Seattle who sees a lot of similarities to Wilson already. My guess is we'll go both FA and the draft for added competition. McCoy doesn't seem to fit the style of offense we run here...at all.
WR - Here we have X = Michael Crabtree/Jon Baldwin --- Y = Quinton Patton --- Z = Anquan Boldin/Mario Manningham. Manningham is expected to be released having never fully recovered from that brutal knee injury. But with additional time to heal, don't fully count him out just yet. This is an area where most feel we need a dynamic speedster to stretch the field and would probably consider the 1st pick in round 1 to do it. However, we've had "speedsters" in Ginn, Moore, Moss and even Lockette and never once choose to use them as deep threats used to stretch the defense. They were merely used as "decoy" deep threats to get guys such as VD and Crabtree space underneath. Boldin is expected to be signed LT, 2-3 years. I'm guessing we go with a receiver in this bigger-body range to step in for Crabtree/Boldin 2 years down the road. Baldwin also restructured and isn't as poor as people think. Our leading receiver averages about 4-5 catches a game. A big-body possession and run-blocker and speedster (esp. for return abilities) WR will most likely be brought in after the first round IMHO esp. given how deep the draft is.
OT - We have Joe Staley, Anthony Davis and Adam Snyder but Luke Marquardt will be back and from all the reports, this dude is huge and has zero body fat. He should also be hungry as well. That said, this FO will most likely bring in a FA or a 3rd round draft pick to add additional competition and for forward-thinking.
OG - With Mike Iupati and Alex Boone, were more than solid when healthy. That said, Iupati had an injury-riddled season and may command high $ come FA. With a down year, this is the year to either sign him LT or consider replacing him now. We also have Joe Looney who's been training for a year as well and Adam Snyder can also play there if needed (if he sticks with us). I would not be surprised if someone like Ryan Seymour surprises as well. We need some inside pass protection here badly.
DE - Currently, we have Justin Smith, Ray McDonald and then Demarcus Dobbs, Tony Jerod-Eddie, Tank Carradine and Lawrence Okoye. Quinton Dial can also play DE. On the surface, this looks stacked here. But, Justin is much older now and slowing down, McDonald is oft-injured and Carradine and Dial are huge question marks. TJE and Dobbs had nice years and Okoye may end up being a surprise BUT we need top-notch talent and health here as these 3 DL are critical to our front 7 play. It would not surprise me if the FO saw this as a primary Top Tier pick.
ILB - We currently have Patrick Willis and Michael Wilhoite as starters and Nick Moody backing up while we don't rush NaVorro Bowman back from injury. I'm unsure of anything about Darius Fleming playing inside (thought he was an OLB). That said, Wilhoite played well for us and don't be surprised if we go the FA route again d/t experience needed here should either he or Willis go down at some point; someone like Larry Grant. I have a feeling the team only likes Moody as a ST ace and we'll go for a higher ILB this year in the draft as well (now and for the future).

Third Tier:
RB - We have Frank Gore, Marcus Lattimore, Kendall Hunter, LaMichael James and Jewel Hampton. Jewel is my dark horse if Lattimore doesn't hit the ground running. He flashes to me and after another year in our system, don't be surprised to see him shine; we love to develop these UDFA's over time (Brock, Boone, Williams, etc.). This unit is stacked but Baalke loves competition and he'll probably bring in another rookie here for down-the-line thinking.
TE - We have the best in Vernon Davis and the coaches love how much Vance McDonald handled in his first year. He is expected to get more involved in the passing game next year. So that leaves Garrett Celek who is familiar with our system and is decent at both blocking and catching. Perhaps the coaches want to give the H-back (Delanie Walker role) a try again but I doubt it as we had both MarQueis Gray and Chris Harper last year and let both walk.
NT - With Glenn Dorsey and Ian Williams back healthy, and with the ability of Dial developing here more as well, we may go the route of another 2-gap plugger like Lamar Divens again to develop on the PS (like Williams).
OLB - With Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks, Dan Skuta and Corey Lemonier on tap. we're top-notch here but you can never have too many pass rushers. Darius Fleming? We'll draft some competition here.
PK - Phil Dawson is old and his inability to kick out of the back of the EZ cost us dearly in the playoffs. And P Andy Lee had an off-year by his standards and we may need to consider late-rounds picks for the two best in the country here. LS Kevin McDermott was my unpopular choice last year but it turned out to be the right move. Good call Baalke/Coaches!

S - Donte Whitner and Eric Reid had a good-to-great first year together but both were exposed in coverage during the playoffs (pattern for Whitner)

Thank you lord. A fan that actually uses observes what's going on.
[ Edited by kronik on Feb 26, 2014 at 7:11 PM ]
Originally posted by kronik:
S - Donte Whitner and Eric Reid had a good-to-great first year together but both were exposed in coverage during the playoffs (pattern for Whitner)

Thank you lord. A fan that actually uses observes what's going on.
Danka. What are your top FA/Draft team needs?
Added:

Following recent contract adjustments, the 49ers are expected to have approximately $15 million in salary-cap room, according to a source.

Within the past week, the 49ers worked out pay reductions for wide receiver Jon Baldwin and safety Craig Dahl to create more than $1.3 million of salary cap space.

Including the credit for unused cap space from last season, the 49ers' currently have $117.662 million in players salaries devoted to the 2014 salary cap. Only the top-51 players count against the cap until the final cuts before the start of the regular season. The NFL-wide salary cap is expected to be at least $132 million for next season.

Wide receiver Anquan Boldin, safety Donte Whitner, cornerback Tarell Brown and kicker Phil Dawson are among the 49ers' scheduled free agents. The club has also started talks with quarterback Colin Kaepernick's representation about a long-term extension.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/49ers-15-million-under-salary-cap
Added:

Following recent contract adjustments, the 49ers are expected to have approximately $15 million in salary-cap room, according to a source.

Within the past week, the 49ers worked out pay reductions for wide receiver Jon Baldwin and safety Craig Dahl to create more than $1.3 million of salary cap space.

Including the credit for unused cap space from last season, the 49ers' currently have $117.662 million in players salaries devoted to the 2014 salary cap. Only the top-51 players count against the cap until the final cuts before the start of the regular season. The NFL-wide salary cap is expected to be at least $132 million for next season.

Wide receiver Anquan Boldin, safety Donte Whitner, cornerback Tarell Brown and kicker Phil Dawson are among the 49ers' scheduled free agents. The club has also started talks with quarterback Colin Kaepernick's representation about a long-term extension.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/49ers-15-million-under-salary-cap
Nice news about the Kilgore extension up! Updated first post.

Here is an odd list of FA's but a comprehensive list nonetheless and he even breaks them down by, tiers. Based on Baalke-like moves of the past 2 years, what Second/Third Tier FA's do you think he'll target this year?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000329702/article/top-101-nfl-free-agents-for-2014
Right now is when not trying out benchwarmers during the 30 pt win games hurts us the worst. Do we have the guys on the team already that could fill our WR needs. How about DBs? OTs? TEs? RBs? FBs? I get the point that kap was raw and needed time with the same guys so he could bolster his confidence. But you really commit seppuku at this time of yr when you have no idea just what the heck you actually have at the positions noted above. And that, I believe is where we are at present.

We may have starters at positions of need but we have no idea if they are good...or not. I'm not a good guesser and have no idea what our non playing reserves can do. Thing that bothers me is , I fear our coach doesn't either. And that was a preventable mistake. Maybe it was a bone of contention between JH and TB. Who knows? But JH has brought this franchise back from the dead, but seemingly is missing that one little tiny widget necessary to win the SB. Luck? Different theory of O? Different theory of overall coaching? I have no idea. But right now, looking at our talent, do we already have the guys we need? Wouldn't it be a schidt kicker if we did, but just didn't use them due to lack of faith in them last yr?
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Right now is when not trying out benchwarmers during the 30 pt win games hurts us the worst. Do we have the guys on the team already that could fill our WR needs. How about DBs? OTs? TEs? RBs? FBs? I get the point that kap was raw and needed time with the same guys so he could bolster his confidence. But you really commit seppuku at this time of yr when you have no idea just what the heck you actually have at the positions noted above. And that, I believe is where we are at present.

We may have starters at positions of need but we have no idea if they are good...or not. I'm not a good guesser and have no idea what our non playing reserves can do. Thing that bothers me is , I fear our coach doesn't either. And that was a preventable mistake. Maybe it was a bone of contention between JH and TB. Who knows? But JH has brought this franchise back from the dead, but seemingly is missing that one little tiny widget necessary to win the SB. Luck? Different theory of O? Different theory of overall coaching? I have no idea. But right now, looking at our talent, do we already have the guys we need? Wouldn't it be a schidt kicker if we did, but just didn't use them due to lack of faith in them last yr?

Valid point...even under Singletary/Nolan, the only way we'd develop a younger player on the field was by way of injury. That seems to be the case here as well for the most part.
More good moves by Baalke: Ed Donatell signed for 2 more years.
And Boldin as well...updated. Great, great news!
Share 49ersWebzone