LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 281 users in the forums

2014 Team Needs - Updates

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Now that the combine is about finished who is the consensus SS candidate? If not SS candidate can we get a FS and move Reid to SS? Who is that person to pick and how much would we have to give up to get him?
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Now that the combine is about finished who is the consensus SS candidate? If not SS candidate can we get a FS and move Reid to SS? Who is that person to pick and how much would we have to give up to get him?

I have S as a top tier need (with or without a Whitner signing)? Anyone think it's a second tier need?
Originally posted by SaksV:
Wide Receiver Coach, top tier need

this
Originally posted by Allx9er:

this

this X10000
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Originally posted by Allx9er:

this

this X10000

Totally, maybe OL as well (though hard to tell with the predictability of the play calling, telegraphing of plays via jumbo packages and snapping the ball at 1 second every time), certainly a ST coach, QB coach (mechanics...duh?), etc.
Not sure where to put this but if true maybe they can resign everybody thus changing off season needs

The 2014 salary cap projections have been slowly creeping up, and we've got a new projection that could push it even higher. Previously, Adam Schefter projected a $130 million salary cap, and then John Clayton said might be as high as $132 million. Now, according to our lovely friends at Pro Football Talk, the 2014 NFL salary cap could end up "a few million" higher than $132 million. Furthermore, moving forward, similar annual increases are expected.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/2/25/5446716/2014-nfl-salary-cap-projection
[ Edited by lamontb on Feb 25, 2014 at 2:10 PM ]
Originally posted by lamontb:
Not sure where to put this but if true maybe they can resign everybody thus changing off season needs

The 2014 salary cap projections have been slowly creeping up, and we've got a new projection that could push it even higher. Previously, Adam Schefter projected a $130 million salary cap, and then John Clayton said might be as high as $132 million. Now, according to our lovely friends at Pro Football Talk, the 2014 NFL salary cap could end up "a few million" higher than $132 million. Furthermore, moving forward, similar annual increases are expected.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/2/25/5446716/2014-nfl-salary-cap-projection

Wow! I added for you/us. Thanks for the update/info!

No wonder we didn't need to restructure Gore's contract.
Why do people consider PFT a legitimate source?
Originally posted by 9erReign:

Because the casual fans are like sheep. They'll read something from PFT and assume it's true, moving with the rest of the herd.
Originally posted by 9erReign:

We have PFT as a source listed?

Got anything to add to the thread? What's your top needs thus far?

My take on our needs:

QB -- Need an affordable backup vet, plus a developmental pick in the draft.

RB -- We're set here. No room for anyone else, unless LMJ is shipped out.

WR -- Seems like speed receiver is always a need. Big fan of Patton, but don't want to put all our eggs in one basket. Continue to add talent, let them compete.

TE -- I like McDonald, but don't want to pin all our hopes on him. Continue to add talent, let them compete.

OL -- Need additional depth, particularly swing tackle. Marquardt is intriguing. Draft an OT, plus an OG to compete for potential LG opening.

DL -- Really like the depth here. We're good. Dorsey will be a FA next year. Could use another big body at NT.

ILB -- Wilhoite looks solid, but we need another capable body in case Bowman is shelved for longer than anticipated. Prefer a vet with some starting experience.

OLB -- Can never have too many good edge rushers. I'd like to add one more. Always keep this position well-stocked.

CB -- Need to address early in the draft. Continue to look for bargains in FA.

S -- Completely depends on Whitner. If he's back, not a big need. If he goes, address early in the draft and sign a vet.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Feb 25, 2014 at 3:09 PM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:
My take on our needs:

QB -- Need an affordable backup vet, plus a developmental pick in the draft. FA and Second Tier
RB -- We're set here. No room for anyone else, unless LMJ is shipped out. No Need
WR -- Seems like speed receiver is always a need. Big fan of Patton, but don't want to put all our eggs in one basket. Continue to add talent, let them compete. Second Tier
TE -- I like McDonald, but don't want to pin all our hopes on him. Continue to add talent, let them compete. Second Tier
OL -- Need additional depth, particularly swing tackle. Marquardt is intriguing. Draft an OT, plus an OG to compete for potential LG opening. Second Tier for both OT & G
DL -- Really like the depth here. We're good. Dorsey will be a FA next year. Could use another big body at NT. Third Tier
ILB -- Wilhoite looks solid, but we need another capable body in case Bowman is shelved for longer than anticipated. Prefer a vet with some starting experience. FA and Second Tier
OLB -- Can never have too many good edge rushers. I'd like to add one more. Always keep this position well-stocked. Second Tier
CB -- Need to address early in the draft. Continue to look for bargains in FA. FA and First Tier
S -- Completely depends on Whitner. If he's back, not a big need. If he goes, address early in the draft and sign a vet. First or Second Tier

So this is how you'd rate them SofaKing? In bold above:
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 25, 2014 at 3:57 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
My take on our needs:

QB -- Need an affordable backup vet, plus a developmental pick in the draft. FA and Second Tier
RB -- We're set here. No room for anyone else, unless LMJ is shipped out. No Need
WR -- Seems like speed receiver is always a need. Big fan of Patton, but don't want to put all our eggs in one basket. Continue to add talent, let them compete. Second Tier
TE -- I like McDonald, but don't want to pin all our hopes on him. Continue to add talent, let them compete. Second Tier
OL -- Need additional depth, particularly swing tackle. Marquardt is intriguing. Draft an OT, plus an OG to compete for potential LG opening. Second Tier for both OT & G
DL -- Really like the depth here. We're good. Dorsey will be a FA next year. Could use another big body at NT. Third Tier
ILB -- Wilhoite looks solid, but we need another capable body in case Bowman is shelved for longer than anticipated. Prefer a vet with some starting experience. FA and Second Tier
OLB -- Can never have too many good edge rushers. I'd like to add one more. Always keep this position well-stocked. Second Tier
CB -- Need to address early in the draft. Continue to look for bargains in FA. FA and First Tier
S -- Completely depends on Whitner. If he's back, not a big need. If he goes, address early in the draft and sign a vet. First or Second Tier

Yeah I'd say that's pretty accurate NC. Secondary looks to be a point of emphasis for me. Rogers, Brown, Whitner, Culliver, Cox, Wright are all question marks. Definitely need to get that sorted out.

I'd say WR is a FA and second tier / borderline first tier need. Would not mind seeing a FA acquisition at WR in addition to Boldin. Our track record at drafting WRs has been less than stellar. We need guys who have some proven production. I hope to get a bargain signing, similar to the Manningham deal, but hope that player stays healthy this time around.
Originally posted by NCommand:
My take on our needs:

WR -- Seems like speed receiver is always a need. Big fan of Patton, but don't want to put all our eggs in one basket. Continue to add talent, let them compete. FA and First/Second Tier

Yeah I'd say that's pretty accurate NC. Secondary looks to be a point of emphasis for me. Rogers, Brown, Whitner, Culliver, Cox, Wright are all question marks. Definitely need to get that sorted out.

I'd say WR is a FA and second tier / borderline first tier need. Would not mind seeing a FA acquisition at WR in addition to Boldin. Our track record at drafting WRs has been less than stellar. We need guys who have some proven production. I hope to get a bargain signing, similar to the Manningham deal, but hope that player stays healthy this time around.

Got it documented my man...also, check out last year's traker: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/171861-2013-team-needs-updates/search=2013%20Team

You are right...we keep dismissing FA but Baalke did a ton of work here last year re: WR's. He may go that route again...perhaps he already did with Baldwin.
1st: WR
2nd: Secondary CB
3rd: Defensive Line
Share 49ersWebzone