LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

2014 Team Needs - Updates

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
You know what would be fun...for all the peeps who are upset over the FA period...again...they should revisit the list of 2013 signings (FA's and trades: names plus $) and see how many panned out value-wise (grade them: original fan grade plus actual season's-end grade).

I would imagine someone like Boldin would get a grade of B- or C+ (original fan grade) but the overall grade would end up being an A+

FA and the draft is all about "value"...not "name."

it does not matter if they would do this. Because the mind set of those people you spoke of is now all of a sudden..... we have "only" gotten to three nfc title games and have not won a super bowl with the current game plan. Because of this it is now time to change course , do a 180 and start to sign expensive big name guys who can get us over the hump because what we have done in the last 3 years is not good enough . You will not be able to win because the rules some play by have changed
With the front 7 we have (including depth) there is no reason why our back field should struggle. For some reason we love to give the WRs a 10yd buffer zone to do what they want then make the tackle after they catch it. We need an attitude where we dont want a single pass completed against us.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Canadian9erfan:
With the front 7 we have (including depth) there is no reason why our back field should struggle. For some reason we love to give the WRs a 10yd buffer zone to do what they want then make the tackle after they catch it. We need an attitude where we dont want a single pass completed against us.

i never played the game but could never figure out why we did that ten yard buffer thing you spoke of the depth you spoke of is huge. thanks to dorsey and others, the depth was better last year than what it was the year before. i am hopeful with the return of the two kids we drafted who were hurt last year it will even be better this coming year,, plus a heads on straight aldon for a whole year would be nice
Canadian, cc just touched on it. Fangio felt he had to play off because he was afraid of WRs getting behind our slower, smaller CBs. Brock comes in and instantly we see passes batted down. For three yrs, the CBs having to "play off", ie giving up 8-10 yd completions was not noticed, or if noticed, not addressed. This yr it will be and my hope is Brock has to fight for a spot because our first two picks are BOTH starting CBs. Do that with our awesome front seven, and if kap misses a pass at end of game, it doesn't matter...because our D has given up a mere 17 pts, not 30-34.

Somehow, we all kind of went to sleep on the backs of our FABULOUS FRONT SEVEN...but as all have witnessed, without the shut down corners like SEA came to the game with, we are going to lose those games where we give up 8-10 yds whenever they wanted them and we had to struggle for first downs. Shut down corners, TRUE shut down CBs, are game changers. It is the "bend but don't break" D we seemingly played forever, but in big games, if the other team has shut down corners and we don't we lose. Even considering the huge advantage we gave them we still dam near won. Getting two STARTING CBs will completely change the dynamics of our D game and our game plan overall.
Agree pasodoc9er!

Getting 2 starting caliber CB would be a big time game changer.

We still need a WR to can fly down the field and another 2 to groom. Crabs, IMO, will be a challenging resign, Boldin isn't getting any younger and we need to be better prepared for injuries.
Originally posted by cciowa:
You know what would be fun...for all the peeps who are upset over the FA period...again...they should revisit the list of 2013 signings (FA's and trades: names plus $) and see how many panned out value-wise (grade them: original fan grade plus actual season's-end grade).

I would imagine someone like Boldin would get a grade of B- or C+ (original fan grade) but the overall grade would end up being an A+

FA and the draft is all about "value"...not "name."

it does not matter if they would do this. Because the mind set of those people you spoke of is now all of a sudden..... we have "only" gotten to three nfc title games and have not won a super bowl with the current game plan. Because of this it is now time to change course , do a 180 and start to sign expensive big name guys who can get us over the hump because what we have done in the last 3 years is not good enough . You will not be able to win because the rules some play by have changed

Sadly, you are absolutely spot on. Although, I would love if somebody did the research. It would be pretty interesting to read!
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Canadian, cc just touched on it. Fangio felt he had to play off because he was afraid of WRs getting behind our slower, smaller CBs. Brock comes in and instantly we see passes batted down. For three yrs, the CBs having to "play off", ie giving up 8-10 yd completions was not noticed, or if noticed, not addressed. This yr it will be and my hope is Brock has to fight for a spot because our first two picks are BOTH starting CBs. Do that with our awesome front seven, and if kap misses a pass at end of game, it doesn't matter...because our D has given up a mere 17 pts, not 30-34.

Somehow, we all kind of went to sleep on the backs of our FABULOUS FRONT SEVEN...but as all have witnessed, without the shut down corners like SEA came to the game with, we are going to lose those games where we give up 8-10 yds whenever they wanted them and we had to struggle for first downs. Shut down corners, TRUE shut down CBs, are game changers. It is the "bend but don't break" D we seemingly played forever, but in big games, if the other team has shut down corners and we don't we lose. Even considering the huge advantage we gave them we still dam near won. Getting two STARTING CBs will completely change the dynamics of our D game and our game plan overall.

I have a feeling the lack of speed and deep coverage ability on the back end also forced our ILB's to play as much coverage as they did.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 8, 2014 at 10:48 AM ]
I see where dtg is coming from - rebuilding a virtually new secondary is no easy task and in the beginning, it should be expected that these new guys might need some time to really gel and get in a rhythm.

With that being said, I think this move was necessary as it was time to move on and I think it'll pay off. We're saving a s**tload of money not bringing back Rogers and Brown while getting younger, faster, more athletic, and, in the long run, likely better in the process. In this way, I agree with cciowa & NC that it should be interesting to see how this new group is formed and molded. I'd imagine Fangio can be much more flexible with his schemes and what he calls with the new guys.

Brown and Rogers gave us a few years of solid production and I appreciate their services but we didn't lose Sherman or even Peterson back there. They weren't even the best corners on our team, Brock and Cully (if he can stay out of trouble) are both better.

Rogers has been on the decline since his 2011 season, he's in the twilight of his career, and after getting burned by Kearse for that TD in the NFCCG, his release was a no brainer. And no way was Baalke was going pony up and overpay a soon to be 30 yo solid, but not spectacular CB w/ nonexistent playmaking skills. Not happening.

With a draft this deep in CB, there's plenty of kids with tons of potential in this draft with our numerous picks to choose from who will be working with one of the very best DB coaches in the league in Donatell and behind the best front 7 in football. Not all that worried, no need to slit ya wrists guys lol.

Completely on the same page pasodoc. Brown and Rogers (post '11) were good, solid but they were no game changers and they greatly benefitted from playing behind the most dominant front 7 in the league.

What this secondary needs is more playmakers. More guys like Brock who are very physical and make the receivers earn their yards/catches, guys that will try to knock the ball out of their hands and cause turnovers. Improved coverage and higher IQ play as a unit (especially in big games). Forget blowing coverage assignments, letting the opponent march up and down the field and simply tackling the WR after large gains in Super Bowls and NFCCGs. After this year, I hope this will be a thing of the past.
Originally posted by NeonNiner:

Completely on the same page pasodoc. Brown and Rogers (post '11) were good, solid but they were no game changers and they greatly benefitted from playing behind the most dominant front 7 in the league.

What this secondary needs is more playmakers. More guys like Brock who are very physical and make the receivers earn their yards/catches, guys that will try to knock the ball out of their hands and cause turnovers. Improved coverage and higher IQ play as a unit (especially in big games). Forget blowing coverage assignments, letting the opponent march up and down the field and simply tackling the WR after large gains in Super Bowls and NFCCGs. After this year, I hope this will be a thing of the past.

They also benefited from having guys like Brooks who could drop back in zones and deflect passes and get INT's (Brooks has as many or more than both) and they especially benefited from having Willis and Bowman in coverage all the time as well...plus the emergence of Brock and Cox and others to assist in nickle/dime defenses.

I neglected to mention our LBs in coverage, NC, and wth Brooks, bowman and p-52 PLUS whoever trent brings us as a (our hopefully TWO) starting corner(s), this could be a fascinating D to watch. Matter of fact it could be THE reason to go see the 49ers...to see the D we finally ended up with, yet had needed for the last 3 yrs. Put football's best front 7, three of whom are excellent to great in coverage, plus pass knock-downers Brock, Bethea(yes , Bethea), Reid, plus our
two new shut down corners, and I would be happy to just watch the D all day long.

The truth, however, is that with frank, some more of Hunter, kap, anquan, Vernon, vance, Crabs, and patton, with miller returning, this could be a team for the books. Now we don't have our CBs yet, but we have 3 really good DBs of the 4 needed already, and add in the new CBs...well, we could put the league on notice. Granted, we still have the boat anchor of roman, but I just don't see Coach H not being more aggressive on O this yr. If so, we should have a legit shot at #6.

Oh, I forgot a new Center who finally anchors the OL in the middle.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Apr 8, 2014 at 12:15 PM ]
I neglected to mention our LBs in coverage, NC, and wth Brooks, bowman and p-52 PLUS whoever trent brings us as a (our hopefully TWO) starting corner(s), this could be a fascinating D to watch. Matter of fact it could be THE reason to go see the 49ers...to see the D we finally ended up with, yet had needed for the last 3 yrs. Put football's best front 7, three of whom are excellent to great in coverage, plus pass knock-downers Brock, Bethea(yes , Bethea), Reid, plus our
two new shut down corners, and I would be happy to just watch the D all day long.

The truth, however, is that with frank, some more of Hunter, kap, anquan, Vernon, vance, Crabs, and patton, with miller returning, this could be a team for the books. Now we don't have our CBs yet, but we have 3 really good DBs of the 4 needed already, and add in the new CBs...well, we could put the league on notice. Granted, we still have the boat anchor of roman, but I just don't see Coach H not being more aggressive on O this yr. If so, we should have a legit shot at #6.

For sure...lots of reasons for optimism. I'm very excited about all the players coming into their second years (be it via I.R., red shirted, rookies, UDFA, FA's, etc.). While the starting spots are limited, the competition for them AND play time, period, is going to be epic to watch. Iron sharpens iron, right!? So this defense will be facing this offense in practice and vice versa. If the offense can get anywhere NEAR the defense, look out NFL.

For sure...lots of reasons for optimism. I'm very excited about all the players coming into their second years (be it via I.R., red shirted, rookies, UDFA, FA's, etc.). While the starting spots are limited, the competition for them AND play time, period, is going to be epic to watch. Iron sharpens iron, right!? So this defense will be facing this offense in practice and vice versa. If the offense can get anywhere NEAR the defense, look out NFL.

Tight coverage, more and more varied blitzing, all-world LBs...this may be the start of a beautiful defense...more beautiful that is! It will at least give opponents something to think about!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Tight coverage, more and more varied blitzing, all-world LBs...this may be the start of a beautiful defense...more beautiful that is! It will at least give opponents something to think about!

After Bethea's comments last night (and reinforced by Cook's), it's sounding more and more like we'll be playing much more press and single-high FS this year. Fangio has a plethora of options for blitzing esp. if we play this defense (b/c the CB's and SS will be very close to the LOS). What he could do with Brooks/Aldon/Willis/Bowman could be electric if he wanted. Then you add in the potential pass rush and rotation of Carradine to this DL plus the probable growth of Dial, TJE, Okoye, Dobbs, Williams and Dorsey? No excuse not to "bring it" on a more regular basis. Just the ability to provide off-coverage AND press with equal success is going to be huge for our front 7 in the pass rush department.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Ideally the cornerbacks we take should be 6.0 to 6.2 in height and strong enough to redirect WR's to the outside, and fast enough to turn and run after them - like in the Ronnie Lott/Eric Wright (1981 draftee) mould. Well, Ronnie wasn't really *fast* but he was a mind reader and could read WR's and get to their spot before the WR's could. Even if we only got one good cornerback, it will enable more blitzing from the Linebackers on his side of the defense and also simplify the linebacker reads and drops on his side. In 1981 we got three - Lott, Wright, and Carlton.
Share 49ersWebzone