And just to reiterate, of the 43 AB already ID'd as making the 53, we have monster competition already...even before the 6 picks in the top 100 and 11 picks overall. Now THIS is a deep roster:
Before we even consider how many 2014 draftees will make the 53, 46, etc. take a look at all these players who are expected to make huge jumps this year and compete for starting positions (by positions)
- Will PC be this year's version of TB?
- Will be competing for an outside CB position to back up Culliver/Brock/Wright and will also be a "press" CB which is a shift in philosophy for us
- Will be competing with a slot CB in this year's draft for a starting role
- Already the #3 and will have a full off season to hit the ground running
- An excellent ST but also may fit the "FS" role well which is important in today's game (vs. the SS role); SS and FS are interchangeable in our 3-4
- Welcome back kid. Now you get to face a starting competition with Dorsey and split time with him
- Already got some field-time last year, will know the defense and can continue to grow under Tomsula this year. Let's watch the growth
- Expected to make a big jump this off season
- High expectations for this man and he's hungry
- Played very well last year and may even push Dobbs off the roster
- Tendered but may not even make the team with our depth!
(ILB?) - May be looked to move inside but came out of college as a pass rush specialist. And we haven't given up on him yet which says something, right?
- Already a great start last year and will be expected to step up even more this year
- The FO liked this kid and with Bowman out, he'll be leaned on heavily to step up this off season
- Is already our #3 OLB and very good ST and will only get better; can also play inside if needed
- Played well for Willis and now, we expect him to play great for Bowman esp. with a full off season to develop "knowing" he'll be the starter
- Will be expected to becoome a viable backup this year (trade bait?)
Debniak, Alex (Released)
- Was looking like the backup to Miller in the pre season until he got hurt and went on I.R. Watch this one closely! We needed a true backup FB badly last year
- Game on Snyder!
(2nd year/1st-year starter) - Already slated to be our starting C and compete with Looney
- Played well at RG in spot-duty last year and is expected to make big strides. Iupati, look out!
- Heard good things about this guy at the end of last year
- Meh; dude looked horrible last off season and I doubt he'd beat out Marquardt and Martin and Snyder but don't underestimate growth
- Already heard great things about his progress late last year; prototypical H/W/S
- Love this guy; could surprise everyone while Lattimore gets his playing-game/legs back; will get lots of carries this off season again
- Underused, as always
- Underused, as always
- We all have big hopes for Marcus!
- Same here; watch out Celek! We could have our next H-back, Delanie Walker
- Is going to have a heck of a time making the team this year
- Coaches already said they plan to incorporate him more into the passing game!
- Is expected to make big strides like Wright with a full off season and some experience in our system. This is his last shot but will have huge competition thanks to the draft/depth
- Man, is this guy hungry or what? Currently the #3 and may be worked into the slot more. If not, he'll have to work hard against a blue-chip X or Z WR
(Andy had a poor year last year by his standards) - Will push Andy this year again
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 22, 2014 at 4:43 PM ]