There are 160 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2014 Team Needs - Updates

Originally posted by NCommand:
Just saw that myself. Do you know if Toby is a FB as well? Hybrid RB/FB? If so, he's what we needed when Miller went down last year! He would be absolutely ideal for this offense.

And yes, I keep getting this feeling we'll move up for Gilbert as well!

Signed with Jax
Originally posted by jreff22:
Just saw that myself. Do you know if Toby is a FB as well? Hybrid RB/FB? If so, he's what we needed when Miller went down last year! He would be absolutely ideal for this offense.

And yes, I keep getting this feeling we'll move up for Gilbert as well!

Signed with Jax

Jax? Must be the $! LOL. Too bad, he might have been a good fit.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I hear ya. There's a few 2nd and 3rd tier guys I have in mind. Using your team needs as a guide, I have my eye on:

Javier Arenas -- CB/Dynamic Returner
-- Has experience as nickel corner and return ability

Jacoby Ford -- WR/Dynamic Returner
-- Adds speed to the WR core and return ability

Brian De La Puente -- C
-- Local guy. Spent some time with us in 2008 and 2010. Starting experience with Saints. Competition for Kilgore.

Daryl Smith -- LB
-- Experienced vet. Played well for Baltimore last year. Growing long in the tooth. Insurance in case Bowman(injury) or Wilhoite falter.

Will Svitek -- Swing Tackle
-- Cheap veteran option. Has starting experience at both tackle spots. Stanford alum.

Good list and fits the needs. At some point they'll have to stop signing guys and then we will be able to reshuffle the draft priorities. As of now, I would still like to pick up a young SS, couple of CBs and WRs in the draft. I can really see a C as a FA, an ILB, CB and swing T.
Very productive off-season so far. My head is spinning with these moves. Then when I think of Lattimore+Carradine+ 2014 draft class...we're going to have a kick-ass roster.

And all this through day 1 of FA? Who is this Baalke character? LOL.

Seriously...Lattimore, Carradine, Dial, Marquardt, Kilgore, Looney, Williams, Brock, Culliver, Wright, Morris, Wilhoite, Lemonier, etc....are ALL expected to make big jumps in year 2. Good luck to the 2014 draft class cracking a backup role!

Yessir!

Simply amazing. Now Baalke is set to make some very big moves in the draft since we have taken care of so many needs for next to nothing and kept the majority of our picks. Trade up for a major impact player or even two, and/or dump later picks for higher 2015 picks so we are right back here in the same position next year.
I don't think we will give the farm and trade up but it's an option and if we did Gilbert or Evans seem the most likely. Watkins or Dennard too. You know Baalke could shock us all and take Hageman or Tuitt at 30. I'm good with Matthews, Verrett, Beckham, Fuller, etc. I won't stress it too much because I think there are a number of good options and we don't really have any huge needs so we don't have to knock it out of the park. Anyone who can come in and contribute will be a win to me. Even Robinson, Roby, Tuitt and Hageman I could live with. Since we only have a 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 7 (cam johnson) (possibly only 1 7 with martin trade) I'm all for trading down and picking up picks for next year. If we want to trade away a 2nd or 3rd outright and turn it into a round higher pick in next years draft I'm good with that. So many possibilities I can't wait. Draft day is better than Christmas morning as a kid!

As for free agency I was going to say there is a possibility we look for a vet OL but then we traded for Martin. Odds are we still get a vet CB but we could also bring back Cox instead of an outside guy. Other than that should be about it. Hopefully we see Miller or Culliver or Kap or Crabtree or Dorsey or Skuta or Spillman ore Hunter extended before the season starts. I'll settle for 1-2 of those guys.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 11, 2014 at 8:33 PM ]
Needs....

Backup S. Probably through draft at this point.
CB is a need and should probably be addressed with 2 players, probably through FA and the draft.
C in the 3rd to 5th rounds of the draft.
WR. The immediate need is in the slot and should be addressed with a vet in FA or a late round target like Huff, Norwood. But I could also see the 9ers using an early pick, hopefully on a true #1 or #2 WR.
Backup TE with solid skills. Fiedorowicz is my target.
#2 or #3 QB. Probably in draft after Gabbert move. McCarron, Murray, Fales.
KR - Theres still some free agents available. Sproles may be cut. Arenas. Also Archer or DeAnthony in draft.
[ Edited by scooterhd on Mar 11, 2014 at 9:27 PM ]
Let's just sign Revis and move on to the draft
Niners should pick up cromartie and move on to the draft.
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Let's just sign Revis and move on to the draft

Not sure he is worth the price...but maybe a discount for going to a winning team? Wouldn't that be a hoot?
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Jax? Must be the $! LOL. Too bad, he might have been a good fit.

Somewhat money. 3 year $10.5M deal -- more so that he'll be starting in all likelihood or at worse splitting carries with a Jordan Todman and Denard Robinson lol.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I don't think we will give the farm and trade up but it's an option and if we did Gilbert or Evans seem the most likely. Watkins or Dennard too. You know Baalke could shock us all and take Hageman or Tuitt at 30. I'm good with Matthews, Verrett, Beckham, Fuller, etc. I won't stress it too much because I think there are a number of good options and we don't really have any huge needs so we don't have to knock it out of the park. Anyone who can come in and contribute will be a win to me. Even Robinson, Roby, Tuitt and Hageman I could live with. Since we only have a 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 7 (cam johnson) (possibly only 1 7 with martin trade) I'm all for trading down and picking up picks for next year. If we want to trade away a 2nd or 3rd outright and turn it into a round higher pick in next years draft I'm good with that. So many possibilities I can't wait. Draft day is better than Christmas morning as a kid!

As for free agency I was going to say there is a possibility we look for a vet OL but then we traded for Martin. Odds are we still get a vet CB but we could also bring back Cox instead of an outside guy. Other than that should be about it. Hopefully we see Miller or Culliver or Kap or Crabtree or Dorsey or Skuta or Spillman ore Hunter extended before the season starts. I'll settle for 1-2 of those guys.

The way things are shaping up we really may be gearing up for a selling the farm kind of trade.

No need at backup QB, no need at backup OL, no need at C (theoretically if Kilgore is the starter), no need at RB, no need at DT, no need at LB, no need at S, no need at TE

the only starting or significant snaps position we have a need at now are #3 CB (presuming Cully takes the other starting job -- we re-sign Brown you could argue we have no need at CB) and of course the slot WR position.

Watkins, Evans, Cooks, and Lee could all be targets even though some people think Lee has slipped. Evans is the only one who wouldn't fit the slot WR and outside playmaker mold but nobody would complain about him. Especially if he ended up being able to play the slot like Marques Colston.
Right now the immediate need is CB. Pretty glaring in my mind. We need a replacement for Crabs because given this FA as a primer, the WR was very weak. He would be at the head of the class and I don't think they are going to over spend on him especially with this draft class ahead of Baalke. I think WR is another need for the future, next year. I can see us draft two WRs and CBs. I see a need at NT, too. Dorsey and Williams are good, but having a Nix would elevate that front, but I think they believe that Williams will be back.

For each need we had Baalke has done an admiral job of getting the right fit for us. Backup QB McCoy out, Gabbert in. Swing tackle=Martin. Resigned Boldin, Wright and Dawson. Signed Bethea to succeed Whitner. And there may still be bargins out there to add to this roster's competition.

CB-Definitely a need to compete against Brock, Cully and Wright.
WR-A need to replace loss of Crabs next year.
SS-Mold for future role to compete against Bethea
C-Need competition for Kilgore
DT/NT-McD will be 30 so we need more depth
FB-Boobie is gone maybe a seventh rounder use it on the LSU FB at 270+ lol
KR/PR-Maybe Ford or a rookie to compete against James if he's still here.
Quality CB
Safety to pair with Reid (longterm)
Speed on offense.
All things point to a move up on draft day. I would like a Revis signing, but not at the risk of putting the team out of balance. I'd be thrilled if we signed Cooks and another stud on the D-Line (can never have enough defensive linemen).
Great contributions guys!