There are 140 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Would Eddie let the 49ers move to Santa Clara?

Originally posted by Marvin49:
Anyone who thinks Eddie wouldn't have moved the team has a faulty memory of Eddie.

Eddie would have been furious with the city and probably thrown a few city officials under the bus.

Yes. Debartolo was a pragmatist. He would have gone only so far with the city to work something out and then probably would have gone in the same direction. He's the one who moved their facility from Redwood City to Santa Clara. And, people seem to forget that Jed is in almost constant contact with his uncle and relies on him for lots of advice (and he evidently has John York and Denise Debatolo's support in that). Plus, I think Eddie is involved in one of those hotel deals close to the new stadium.

It's hard for me to take seriously fans who are outraged over the hike in season tickets. Please, people. This is what's happening all over the NFL. It's what teams must do to stay competitive. Besides, my prediction is that it will actually be just as easy if not easier and cheaper to get a ticket for a given game. The reason is that they're selling lots of corporate packages. Corporations comp these tickets out to vendors, prospects and employees and lots of times those people are not really into going to the game so those tickets will go straight to Stub Hub, etc. probably at prices no worse and possibly even better than those for the Stick have been.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by mod:
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Here's some good news that might not have been considered:

Stadiums, no matter how nice all have a set lifespan. I think eventually the 49ers could have a nice new home back in SF, it just couldn't be done the way we wanted it now.

I hate to break it to you but that'll be about 30 years from now at best and if it was hard to build a stadium there now its only going to get harder in the future.

SF is the most unfriendly location to build a football stadium from not just a political and economic standpoint but a logistical standpoint as well.

More like 40 years. In addition, the land won't be available within city limits. Hate to break it to the peeps who can't get over this move, but this move is permanent.

Nothing is permanent, but it could be said in our life time
Didn't we just see a Super Bowl that people kept repeating was played in New York even though it was actually played in a completely different state? Calm down everyone. In a couple years, when they host another Super Bowl at Levi Stadium, it will be all about San Francisco hosting a Super Bowl. Like this year, there will be articles and features about how it's really 45 minutes south of the city, but so what. The parties will be in the City. When the Niners bring home another Championship, the parade will still go down Market Street. What's the big deal? As as long-time Niner fan, sure, the Stick had emotional appeal. But come on. By current NFL standards, it's a dump.
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Raul98:
I wanted to bring up a topic for discussion I'm sure some might agree or disagree with me but we are in the boring off season so i thought i would bring it up for discussing cause this is bugging me.

If Eddie D. never lost control of the team and was owner from 1977 until today are the 49ers still in San Francisco or in Santa Clara?

I truly believe Eddie never lets the Niners leave San Francisco he knew what the team means to the city and the fans he would not move the team to Silicon Valley. He was a owner who had a real passion for this team he treated the 49ers like family not business.

The Yorks run it like a business and i truly believe the Santa Clara move was cause they were in a rush to place a bid for SuperBowl 50 they needed a location and stadium design to present to the NFL. Everything about this move felt rushed.

So my question is if the Yorks never took over the team would Eddie allow a move of his team somewhere else? i answer no he does not he invested so much in this city he would never allow it to move.
It is not a question of Eddie D. never allowing the move. It is a question of whether he could have mustered the political will of San Francisco to build a stadium. As far back as 1998, Eddie was trying to get a new stadium built, barely got it passed and then it fell apart after he got in trouble. Given the political climate in the state generally and San Francisco specifically as it relates to building a new football stadium and how close the election in 1998 was (amid allegations of voter fraud by the pro-stadium side), even assuming Eddie had a strong preference to stay in San Francisco, it is doubtful he would have been able to pull it off.

The York's efforts to get a stadium built were not rushed. They basically started trying soon after they took over the team but were unable to get anywhere in San Francisco with all of the divided political interests. As near as I can recall, they only started talking with Santa Clara after long on-going talks with San Francisco went nowhere. Moreover, there was never any guarantee they were going to get SB 50.

Ask yourself this question...how many NFL quality football stadiums have been built in California over the last 30+ years? Other than the stadium in Santa Clara, zero. The 49ers tried to get a stadium in SF. The Raiders have tried to get a new stadium in both Oakland and LA. The Chargers have been trying to get a new stadium in San Diego for at least a decade. That should tell you something. The stadium and where it is located is not about what Eddie would have done. It is about the amazing work Jed York and his team did in working with Santa Clara to get a stadium built in an economic and political climate that has otherwise made it impossible to build a NFL stadium for over 30+ years.
I'm going to miss hopping the 77x bus and taking that long ride to the Stick with other 49ers faithful ....I'm going to miss candlestick
A new stadium should have been built already, with a new shopping complex; the city made that impossible.
It is perhaps time to remind those complaining about the move, that some time ago there was a very real possibility that the team might move to LA. Anyone remember Area49?

This result is not ideal but let's put the blame where it belongs and not rewrite history. The team busted a gut for an extended time, trying to arrange a better stadium, one way or another. There was little or no support within the city administration. Eventually, they had to look elsewhere.
Newsom and the city of SF did nothing to lobby for the Niners to stay, get real
I'm shocked this hasnt been locked yet tbh
Originally posted by Ballistic:

Why should it be locked?
Originally posted by English:
It is perhaps time to remind those complaining about the move, that some time ago there was a very real possibility that the team might move to LA. Anyone remember Area49?

This result is not ideal but let's put the blame where it belongs and not rewrite history. The team busted a gut for an extended time, trying to arrange a better stadium, one way or another. There was little or no support within the city administration. Eventually, they had to look elsewhere.

Spot on. And now, let's consider the reality of a downtown football stadium. Has anyone here ever tried to make their way around downtown SF on a baseball game day? This is a small city. It's a big city atmosphere on a very small piece of land. Go to Chicago if you want to see what an actual big city looks like. It goes on and on. Even Seattle has a lot more room with which to work on something like a football stadium. It's true that the city could have made it work on Candlestick point if it had wanted to, but it had other priorities.
Wasn't there a vote passed to allow Eddie to redo Candlestick and develope that s**tty area? I assumed that feel through becasue Eddie got caught up....
Originally posted by Ballistic:

Why should it be locked?

Because it makes him want to cry!
Originally posted by crake49:

Spot on. And now, let's consider the reality of a downtown football stadium. Has anyone here ever tried to make their way around downtown SF on a baseball game day? This is a small city. It's a big city atmosphere on a very small piece of land. Go to Chicago if you want to see what an actual big city looks like. It goes on and on. Even Seattle has a lot more room with which to work on something like a football stadium. It's true that the city could have made it work on Candlestick point if it had wanted to, but it had other priorities.
I ain't tripping because when I see a game I will use mass transit from the city to the game and back. I've been through worse! It sounds like it will not be bad at all and I am glad the team basically stayed home unlike Area 49
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
I ain't tripping because when I see a game I will use mass transit from the city to the game and back. I've been through worse! It sounds like it will not be bad at all and I am glad the team basically stayed home unlike Area 49

Right on. It's really not going to take much longer to get to a game even if you're in the North Bay - maybe an extra half hour tops. And like you say, the mass transit experience could actually be better. I know the stadium itself will be a huge improvement. I've been going to baseball and football games at the Stick since the 60's, so there's an emotional attachment, but come on, this new stadium is going to be awesome. They're finally playing in a stadium that's actually built for football.