There are 59 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Would Eddie let the 49ers move to Santa Clara?

Originally posted by Niners99:
I find it weird how hung up some people are on the 49ers leaving SF. The city clearly didnt want them to stay that badly, because they had 20+ years to make a stadium work, and came up with nothing.

The majority of the population in the bay area, and the 49ers fanbase is located in the south bay. Its a much nicer area. The 49ers already had their HQ down there.

Some people keep acting like theyre moving to LA. The 49ers represent the bay area, not just San Francisco.
So? Don't the teams plan the stadiums?
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by Niners99:
I find it weird how hung up some people are on the 49ers leaving SF. The city clearly didnt want them to stay that badly, because they had 20+ years to make a stadium work, and came up with nothing.

The majority of the population in the bay area, and the 49ers fanbase is located in the south bay. Its a much nicer area. The 49ers already had their HQ down there.

Some people keep acting like theyre moving to LA. The 49ers represent the bay area, not just San Francisco.
So? Don't the teams plan the stadiums?

planning the stadium design wasnt the problem, approving funding, permits, etc was the problem and thats the city's responsibility
Anyone who thinks Eddie wouldn't have moved the team has a faulty memory of Eddie.

Eddie would have been furious with the city and probably thrown a few city officials under the bus.
Here's the short answer: yes, Eddie would've allowed it. The one thing that people forget is that there are - just like most things - a lot of players involved to make projects like this work. Sf ultimately never cooperated in helping the team advance and move it's stadium interests. End of story.
No, I don't believe so. Eddie D knew the importance of location, you know; location, location, location.
The team built their headquarters in Santa Clara in 1988, and the 1997 and 2006 proposals failed in San Francisco. The city did have it's chance. Hell, we even had Super Bowl XXXVII awarded to the prospective new stadium at the site of Candlestick Park, until the 97 plan failed. I think Eddie would've eventually given up on San Francisco after a new deal being shot down time and again.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
On a side note, looking at the teams that base their home in the suburbs instead of the actual city, the San Francisco 49ers are actually the farthest away from their city:

New York to East Rutherford: 8.5 miles
Orchard Park to Buffalo: 9.5 miles
Landover to Washington DC: 11 miles
Arlington to Dallas: 18.5 miles
Foxborough to Boston: 22 miles
San Francisco to Santa Clara: 38.3 miles

In other words, the city of SF screws up once again, allowing a suburb 38 miles away to snatch the team. Last time there was such a disparity was when the Rams played 30+ miles away from LA

I really believe from experience that game day from SF to SC will be a much more pleasant experience that DAL to Arlington because of much greater mass transit options as opposed to DFW which virtually has none outside of bussing and maybe 2 light rails total in the Metroplex! I think the trains will help out greatly getting to Levi's!

No, there is going to be a huge issue with tailgating for one. From what I'm hearing almost none, tailgating is a big part of the game day. Cost of tix/season tix{outrageous}, lack of hard-core screaming/rabid Niner fans who have been priced out of attending except on occasion. Let's see I miss anything..
[ Edited by Bali-Niner on Feb 16, 2014 at 9:10 PM ]
As others have said, the City had 20 years to get something done. They didn't. Time to move on.

The Candlestick Plan would have never worked. Nobody would go to the Candlestick to spend money (i.e. the Mall) on non game days. Ever been to Eastmont Mall?

Thought so. I know Third Street is gentrifying with the Muni Line and people coming from the UCSF / Biotech area near the Giants ballpark.

Candlestick was and is a dump. Period. It was a great dump and it was our dump, but the economics were not there to keep the team.

Plus, all the bleeding heart liberals, ECO PSYCHOs and their EIRs, and small minded and even smaller penissed supervisors over the years. That deal was a loser.
They are still the San Francisco 49ers and Mayor Ed Lee is making sure that there will always be a San Francisco relationship with the team.

Like others have said the Giants and Jets play in New Jersey.
Here's some good news that might not have been considered:

Stadiums, no matter how nice all have a set lifespan. I think eventually the 49ers could have a nice new home back in SF, it just couldn't be done the way we wanted it now.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:

Stadiums, no matter how nice all have a set lifespan. I think eventually the 49ers could have a nice new home back in SF, it just couldn't be done the way we wanted it now.

I hate to break it to you but that'll be about 30 years from now at best and if it was hard to build a stadium there now its only going to get harder in the future.

SF is the most unfriendly location to build a football stadium from not just a political and economic standpoint but a logistical standpoint as well.
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
On a side note, looking at the teams that base their home in the suburbs instead of the actual city, the San Francisco 49ers are actually the farthest away from their city:

In other words, the city of SF screws up once again, allowing a suburb 38 miles away to snatch the team. Last time there was such a disparity was when the Rams played 30+ miles away from LA

I really believe from experience that game day from SF to SC will be a much more pleasant experience that DAL to Arlington because of much greater mass transit options as opposed to DFW which virtually has none outside of bussing and maybe 2 light rails total in the Metroplex! I think the trains will help out greatly getting to Levi's!

No, there is going to be a huge issue with tailgating for one. From what I'm hearing almost none, tailgating is a big part of the game day. Cost of tix/season tix{outrageous}, lack of hard-core screaming/rabid Niner fans who have been priced out of attending except on occasion. Let's see I miss anything..

Niners are on pace to have about 31,000 parking spots available, which should be on par with Candlestick, which had 19,000 and I assume at least another 10k in the private lots.

"There absolutely will be tailgating in certain locations," said 49ers Chief Operating Officer Paraag Marathe. "So fans will, you know, get all their BBQ on."
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?id=9394650

So with that said... stop talking out of your ass, you're obviously butt hurt over them leaving the city.
[ Edited by mod on Feb 17, 2014 at 12:29 AM ]
I wouldn't doubt that Eddie recommended the move to Santa Clara. He worked with City of SF officials for many years and knows what they're all about.
It's not about what Eddie D would/wouldn't have done WRT moving the team or not. The issue, for the umpteenth time, was the city itself. They failed miserably to produce a viable solution to keep the team in SF. The Yorks did the right thing...go to a community willing to commit to building and supporting a new stadium worthy of one of the NFL's storied franchises. Period.
Originally posted by mod:
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:

I hate to break it to you but that'll be about 30 years from now at best and if it was hard to build a stadium there now its only going to get harder in the future.

SF is the most unfriendly location to build a football stadium from not just a political and economic standpoint but a logistical standpoint as well.

More like 40 years. In addition, the land won't be available within city limits. Hate to break it to the peeps who can't get over this move, but this move is permanent.
Originally posted by mod:
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:

Niners are on pace to have about 31,000 parking spots available, which should be on par with Candlestick, which had 19,000 and I assume at least another 10k in the private lots.

"There absolutely will be tailgating in certain locations," said 49ers Chief Operating Officer Paraag Marathe. "So fans will, you know, get all their BBQ on."
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?id=9394650

So with that said... stop talking out of your ass, you're obviously butt hurt over them leaving the city.

This

Peeps need to get over this. It's over. It's done. Move on.