There are 93 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Would Eddie let the 49ers move to Santa Clara?

I wanted to bring up a topic for discussion I'm sure some might agree or disagree with me but we are in the boring off season so i thought i would bring it up for discussing cause this is bugging me.

If Eddie D. never lost control of the team and was owner from 1977 until today are the 49ers still in San Francisco or in Santa Clara?

I truly believe Eddie never lets the Niners leave San Francisco he knew what the team means to the city and the fans he would not move the team to Silicon Valley. He was a owner who had a real passion for this team he treated the 49ers like family not business.

The Yorks run it like a business and i truly believe the Santa Clara move was cause they were in a rush to place a bid for SuperBowl 50 they needed a location and stadium design to present to the NFL. Everything about this move felt rushed.

So my question is if the Yorks never took over the team would Eddie allow a move of his team somewhere else? i answer no he does not he invested so much in this city he would never allow it to move.
Wut?

There was no option. Eddie would have moved the team. This became a no brainer as time went by.
Originally posted by English:
Wut?

There was no option. Eddie would have moved the team. This became a no brainer as time went by.

Eddie didn't want to move the team in the 90's he was okay with staying at the Candlestick location by tearing it down and re building a new stadium there something the Yorks refused to do.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 9,750
JFC--the off season is not this boring.
Eddie wanted a new stadium for his team so badly, he would have moved the team to Las Vegas if he could and still keep the team as San Francisco 49ers. He wanted fans, local or otherwise, to come see the team, spend money shopping at the new stadium. The Niners is an attraction for commerce-- money. Eddie would've given each city counsel a yacht through a third party company as gift to expedite the vote.

Eddie would have said f**k San Francisco...I'm doing what's best for my team for the money. Or for public relation sake, 'this is a team with amazing history, they will always be the San Francisco 49ers' --at the presser in Candle Stick before moving to Las Vegas.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Eddie wanted a new stadium for his team so badly, he would have moved the team to Las Vegas if he could and still keep the team as San Francisco 49ers. He wanted fans, local or otherwise, to come see the team, spend money shopping at the new stadium. The Niners is an attraction for commerce-- money. Eddie would've given each city counsel a yacht through a third party company as gift to expedite the vote.

Eddie would have said f**k San Francisco...I'm doing what's best for my team for the money. Or for public relation sake, 'this is a team with amazing history, they will always be the San Francisco 49ers' --at the presser in Candle Stick before moving to Las Vegas.


I guess I'm one of the rare people who believes Eddie really loved the city and would never take that away from us to this day i think he loves San Francisco and wants the team here I hope there is some truth to that and not all delusion.
Originally posted by Raul98:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Eddie wanted a new stadium for his team so badly, he would have moved the team to Las Vegas if he could and still keep the team as San Francisco 49ers. He wanted fans, local or otherwise, to come see the team, spend money shopping at the new stadium. The Niners is an attraction for commerce-- money. Eddie would've given each city counsel a yacht through a third party company as gift to expedite the vote.

Eddie would have said f**k San Francisco...I'm doing what's best for my team for the money. Or for public relation sake, 'this is a team with amazing history, they will always be the San Francisco 49ers' --at the presser in Candle Stick before moving to Las Vegas.


I guess I'm one of the rare people who believes Eddie really loved the city and would never take that away from us to this day i think he loves San Francisco and wants the team here I hope there is some truth to that and not all delusion.

Eddie seems to be an extremely loyal type of person from how he treat his friends and family for what was written about him. But I don't think that would trump any major business decision on his part. BTW, he should be in the HOF as an owner.
I find it weird how hung up some people are on the 49ers leaving SF. The city clearly didnt want them to stay that badly, because they had 20+ years to make a stadium work, and came up with nothing.

The majority of the population in the bay area, and the 49ers fanbase is located in the south bay. Its a much nicer area. The 49ers already had their HQ down there.

Some people keep acting like theyre moving to LA. The 49ers represent the bay area, not just San Francisco.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by Raul98:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Eddie wanted a new stadium for his team so badly, he would have moved the team to Las Vegas if he could and still keep the team as San Francisco 49ers. He wanted fans, local or otherwise, to come see the team, spend money shopping at the new stadium. The Niners is an attraction for commerce-- money. Eddie would've given each city counsel a yacht through a third party company as gift to expedite the vote.

Eddie would have said f**k San Francisco...I'm doing what's best for my team for the money. Or for public relation sake, 'this is a team with amazing history, they will always be the San Francisco 49ers' --at the presser in Candle Stick before moving to Las Vegas.


I guess I'm one of the rare people who believes Eddie really loved the city and would never take that away from us to this day i think he loves San Francisco and wants the team here I hope there is some truth to that and not all delusion.

Eddie seems to be an extremely loyal type of person from how he treat his friends and family for what was written about him. But I don't think that would trump any major business decision on his part. BTW, he should be in the HOF as an owner.
Eddie should be in the hall of fame we all know hes not because of the NFL personal feelings towards him. It's all personal on why hes not in it. You mean to tell me Derrick Brooks deserves it more than Eddie? the Hall of Fame is slowly becoming a joke.
Originally posted by Niners99:
I find it weird how hung up some people are on the 49ers leaving SF. The city clearly didnt want them to stay that badly, because they had 20+ years to make a stadium work, and came up with nothing.

The majority of the population in the bay area, and the 49ers fanbase is located in the south bay. Its a much nicer area. The 49ers already had their HQ down there.

Some people keep acting like theyre moving to LA. The 49ers represent the bay area, not just San Francisco.
I live near Candlestick and as a 49er fan you don't know how hard it's going to be not seeing people in there Niner gear heading to the game it was a feeling a community and unity on sunday and mondays when our niners played at the stick all that will be gone now it's a sucky depressing feeling i don't care if the south bay has a lot of niner fans the team belongs here in the streets of San Francisco not in Silicon Valley. Taking the 49ers away is depressing as giving Santa Clara the Goldent Gate Bridge or Pier 39 or any thing SF is known for that we have grown to love.
[ Edited by Raul98 on Feb 16, 2014 at 9:52 AM ]
Originally posted by Raul98:
I live near Candlestick and as a 49er fan you don't know how hard it's going to be not seeing people in there Niner gear heading to the game it was a feeling a community and unity on sunday and mondays when our niners played at the stick all that will be gone now it's a sucky depressing feeling i don't care if the south bay has a lot of niner fans the team belongs here in the streets of San Francisco not in Silicon Valley. Taking the 49ers away is depressing as giving Santa Clara the Goldent Gate Bridge or Pier 39 or any thing SF is known for that we have grown to love.

I wanted the team in the city as well simply because there are few cities worldwide like SF and Santa Clara ain't one of them. However the move to Santa Clara makes sense from a business standpoint the more you think and read about it. And you catch a train from SF and you're at the game anyway so folk will get used to it. It just has to be this way
Originally posted by Raul98:
Eddie should be in the hall of fame we all know hes not because of the NFL personal feelings towards him. It's all personal on why hes not in it. You mean to tell me Derrick Brooks deserves it more than Eddie? the Hall of Fame is slowly becoming a joke.

eddie will eventually get in, but he is an owner and they dont vote those in every year. as far as brooks goes, its hard to find a more decorated lb in nfl history. 11 pro bowls, 9 all pros, defensive player of the year, sb ring. not sure what more the guy could have on his resume.
Who cares -- he has no say. Move on.
The Niners needed a new stadium - that's been true for many years. Candlestick Park, for all its history and significance to the team, was a dump at the end and the team has really needed and deserved a new stadium for years now. Eddie D. couldn't get a new stadium built in SF - he tried, but good 'ole SF political BS kept getting in the way to prevent that from happening. Jed York saw pretty quickly that it wasn't happening in SF, too, and turned to Santa Clara as a viable and willing option. York moved quick but with a well-thought plan - it's better than having the team be forced to move to LA or somewhere to get a new stadium - and the result is he got it done with what's looking like a state-of-the-art stadium that will be one of the best in the league.
  • mod
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 29,378
The city f**ked that up, not the Yorks... when will SF residents understand that.

I love SF as much as the next person but they arent the most attractive place to do business now, Silicon Valley is where its at.