There are 227 users in the forums

Illegal hits, Whitner, and the 49ers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Saw this and it made me think of all the flagged hits (whether they were right or not) that we got, and how much it hurt us. From Drew Brees, to the multiple hits in the NFCCG that allowed Seattle to creep back into the game.

What's amazing is that Seattle wasn't called for a personal foul ONCE in the whole playoffs, yet they caused fumble after fumble. In regards to the 49ers, we had less caused turnovers and more penalties this year. I love our style and I do think that we've been cheated out of some critical plays in some critical games, but I feel like there's a limit and that we don't need to go for the big hit, rather we need to go for the turnover.

I love Whitner, but needless to say he's had a lot of penalities. Hopefully our staff will prepare the defense to not get so penalized and to focus on tackling and turnovers, and not just the big hit.

Thoughts?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap2000000325537/How-Seahawks-perfected-the-legal-hit
Look at all of Whitner's hits that were flagged this year at least 75% were legal. The refs had it out for him ever since he knocked out saints rb
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
the Drew Brees hit cost the 49ers the super bowl

without that flag 9ers win that game
the NFCCG is played at the Stick 9ers win then go on to beat denver in the SB

#Questforflags

not really the 49ers had many other chances but yeah really that sucked
The concussion thing will impact play calling more and more in the upcoming seasons.

Maybe a putting those calls in a "challenge" format would help? Frankly I don't know.

I don't feel we'll resigning Whittner and pick up some one in the draft.

I'd prefer someone who can cover receivers and tackle well than a big hitter.
he somehow became a marked man, any hit that looks close from him is going to draw a flag.
Originally posted by socalniner:
Look at all of Whitner's hits that were flagged this year at least 75% were legal. The refs had it out for him ever since he knocked out saints rb

Actually, the refs had it out for him after he started all the "hitner" b******t! He asked for attention and he got it!
I hate that Seattle is being glorified for the same thing other teams (like us) got penalized for. Watch the hits on that video, and then go back and look at hits all throughout the league that were flagged. There really is no difference in a lot of cases. That hit from Chancellor was no different than Whitner's hit on Steven Jackson, but because it looked worse, he got flagged.

The league really needs to look at reviewing these types of plays.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
I hate that Seattle is being glorified for the same thing other teams (like us) got penalized for. Watch the hits on that video, and then go back and look at hits all throughout the league that were flagged. There really is no difference in a lot of cases. That hit from Chancellor was no different than Whitner's hit on Steven Jackson, but because it looked worse, he got flagged.

Unbelievable-- what are they the face of "how you should play defense.." really hated that piece (Michael Silver) talked about on NFL AM today... everything is so subjective, how many times do we see us getting hits but get flagged just because they "look bad?!?"

They aren't doing anything different than anybody else is doing... they didn't invent a proper tackle this year, just got better calls.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:

Exactly, but what do we do in the mean time? Wait till the league comes around and we keep losing our opportunities? I mean this video shows that Seattle found a way to make plays without getting the flag. Whitner's "bad boy" talk about changing his name and all didn't do anything. If we are gonna win in this league then we have to find a way to get past the "big hit" culture and just go for the tackle or the ball.
Is it possible the refs dislike Harbaugh for yelling at them enough to throw a flag(Whitner's shoulder to shoulder hit, Brooks/Brees play), or not throw a flag(the roughing the punter non call)? Just thowing that out there since it seems the timing on some calls against the Niners over the years is questionable IMO.
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Feb 13, 2014 at 5:32 PM ]

Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Is it possible the refs dislike Harbaugh for yelling at them enough to throw a flag(Whitner's shoulder to shoulder hit, Brooks/Brees play), or not throw a flag(the roughing the punter non call)? Just thowing that out there since it seems the timing on some calls against the Niners over the years is questionable IMO.

As the saying goes, you catch more referees with honey.

This is what i mean. You don't see Seattle's safety picking up penalties, but he still makes plays. I think it's a matter of coaching the players to do the right thing. Whether Whitner's hits are legal or not (for examply the diving shoulder hit against Seattle), a lot of the hits he goes for don't actually need to be as aggressive. That diving shoulder hit on Seattle (can't remember the receivers name) wasn't even needed because the receiver was already diving to the ground with Reid there.

I'd be happy with letting Whitner go and picking up someone with great coverage skills..
Originally posted by tondiman:

This is what i mean. You don't see Seattle's safety picking up penalties, but he still makes plays. I think it's a matter of coaching the players to do the right thing. Whether Whitner's hits are legal or not (for examply the diving shoulder hit against Seattle), a lot of the hits he goes for don't actually need to be as aggressive. That diving shoulder hit on Seattle (can't remember the receivers name) wasn't even needed because the receiver was already diving to the ground with Reid there.

I'd be happy with letting Whitner go and picking up someone with great coverage skills..

Nope. guy had the ball in his hands, Whitner's hit knocked it out, made it incomplete.
Originally posted by lucky_49:
Originally posted by tondiman:

Nope. guy had the ball in his hands, Whitner's hit knocked it out, made it incomplete.

I'll have to look again then.. I thought Whitner came in late, made a clean hit, but came in after the ball was out. Anyway, he reminds me of Goldston, who I loved, but is just too costly..
Originally posted by socalniner:

How many yards were given away over this bs?
Share 49ersWebzone