There are 242 users in the forums

Is the O-line overrated?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is the O-line overrated?

Originally posted by NinerGM:
I'm not a Solari fan. He's been here for a while and the OL just hasn't gotten all that much better with pass protection ... just sayin. The run game also completely disappears against better opponents.

Poof!

I had much higher expectations of him considering he coached the Chiefs OL with Roaf, Shields and Waters....possibly up to three hall of famers on the same line. I always wonder if it's less about technique and more about play design and/or playcalling (in other words Roman).
Originally posted by crabman82:
its a good line but its not the cowboys of the early to mid 90's. very predictable playing calling, especially on the road can make them look even worse too.

They are quite good not great. We have 3 first rounders which probably garners them with more accolades then deserved.

Against Colts, Panthers and Seahawks, when we telegraphed our intention to run, we got stuffed. Elite lines don't get stuffed against solid Ds, even if they know it is coming.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by znk916:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I'm not a Solari fan. He's been here for a while and the OL just hasn't gotten all that much better with pass protection ... just sayin. The run game also completely disappears against better opponents.

Poof!

I had much higher expectations of him considering he coached the Chiefs OL with Roaf, Shields and Waters....possibly up to three hall of famers on the same line. I always wonder if it's less about technique and more about play design and/or playcalling (in other words Roman).

Ding ding ding (bold)!! Imagine how hard it is to run or pass block when the defense knows exactly what is coming and has a full 25 seconds before the snap to prepare.
Yes, Thanks to Troy Aikman comparing them to his o-line over and over and over again
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
There isn't another O-Line in the league that I would rather have so No it is not overrated.
Originally posted by Geeked:
Ding ding ding (bold)!! Imagine how hard it is to run or pass block when the defense knows exactly what is coming and has a full 25 seconds before the snap to prepare.

You just described the Cowboy's of the early 90's. It was easy to predict what they were going to do, but you couldn't stop them because their O-line wouldn't let you.

Aikman is a clown for comparing our line to that Cowboy line. I think he does that because he doesn't want to admit that his career was made because of that O-line letting him sit in the pocket for eternity every play.
Great run blockers....meh with the pass pro
The 49ers OLINE is WAY overrated. The Only Dude I would take as a sure fire starter is Joe Staley. I think he has just become an amazing tackle. When he was first drafted, I had my doubt but boy has he worked out!! Boone is a nice backup and AD is decent at best. Goowin is not that good and IUPATI I never cared for. I wanted Dez Bryant that year (2010)
sadly yes. We have 3 first round picks, a guy who should of been a 1st if not for alcoholism, and a SB champion. The fact is though that we are very good but wildly inconsistent. I think it may be due to the coaching. The O-line is man handled sometimes because they are not prepared enough. Might be time to shop for a new offensive line coach along with a new OC and new WR coach. but it wont happen
With both starting receivers healthy, the line might be the weakness on that side of the ball.

I do think we took a slight step back with Goodwin regressing again
He's been the weak link since he got here. He was an upgrade over who we had,
But still is the piece that's holding us back
No doubt we are overrated. Good in run block, horrendous in pass protection.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Im pretty sure half of the NFL would love our OL. But we have to complain about everything so ok

meaning the rest of the NFL wouldn't
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
overrated, wasted, sluggish slobs....
No, we are just a little dysfunctional offensively. We have a strong O-line in pocket passing, and power run situations, but slow and plodding in bootleg, roll outs, and edge running schemes. This make us predictable, in that we do a few things so well, we lean on them. The importance of edge running, and shifting the pocket is passing game is not only does it slow down the pass rush, it spread the defense wide. You hear 8 men in the ox all the time, the thing is if you can't press the edge, the box gets pretty narrow. All 8 between the tackles, that makes for some hard running up the gut. You see Hunter come in to press the edge for us, but team know this is coming, this is where Frank's and the offensive lines lack of speed to the corner kills us. Hunter gets a few gains outside from time to time, but watch and see how often his O-line is out in front. SO the line is really really great at half the things I'd like to see them do,and less than average at the other half.

More agile guards, and a faster Marcus Latimore in the backfield would suit me fine.
Share 49ersWebzone