There are 346 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

3 Plays from 2011, 2012, and 2013 that will Haunt us Forever

As for the Bradshaw fumble, there seems to be a lot of offensive flavor in the rulings when a ball is lost much like PI calls. If something bad happens offensively like a fumble, it is ruled that forward progress had stopped and the ball is ruled deal. Now if he pops off that tackler and runs for another 20 yards they rule he was never down. I have seen these types of one-sided rulings numerous times over the last couple years. The Kearse catch/fumble and Bowman recovery in the NFC champ game this year is another example of this type of play. Calls on these plays simply just seem to go to the offense. For conspiracy theorists, this is a great time where they can point at opportunity plays where officials could have a dramatic impact on the outcome of a game.
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
As for the Bradshaw fumble, there seems to be a lot of offensive flavor in the rulings when a ball is lost much like PI calls. If something bad happens offensively like a fumble, it is ruled that forward progress had stopped and the ball is ruled deal. Now if he pops off that tackler and runs for another 20 yards they rule he was never down. I have seen these types of one-sided rulings numerous times over the last couple years. The Kearse catch/fumble and Bowman recovery in the NFC champ game this year is another example of this type of play. Calls on these plays simply just seem to go to the offense. For conspiracy theorists, this is a great time where they can point at opportunity plays where officials could have a dramatic impact on the outcome of a game.

A HUGE problem with that play though was that the whistle to signal forward progress was blown after the ball had already come out. That's a fumble
and come to think of it.. i cant recall a play that helped us out like that...

I'm sure Falcon fans would disagree and call Bowmans deflection a bad call but it was within the 5 yard range
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Originally posted by Raul98:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Originally posted by Raul98:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Yes that is true, but we also still would have won if they get that call right.

Interesting points. f**k the 13th man. We need to be so good that they also can't win the game for the other team.

This. Like I said going into the NFCCG in Seattle, we KNEW we'd get at least 2 or 3 critical calls against us so we have to win and win convincingly. Unfortunately, we kept it was closer than it s/h been and naturally, didn't get the even/fair calls as a result. You can't leave any power in their hands. Period.

Yup. Had that game been in Candlestick I think we win rather convincingly, maybe a ten point win. That's why that Ahmad Brooks penalty on Brees was so big. We just weren't quite good enough to overcome the Seahawks, the 12th man, and the 13th man. There must have been at least five different times where I saw Seattle a whole yard or half yard short of the first down and the refs spot the ball forward a whole yard or two. Lol ridiculousness.
We where good enough to over come Seattle and the 12th man we had a turn over in the red zone on the first play of the game and didn't step on there neck we settled for 3 AGAIN we got off to a 10 point lead and let them hang around and let them come back and win. Cause we don't know how to put good teams away in big games. The offense fell apart with turn overs in the 4th. With a 10 point lead we should have gone for the kill and that would have taken the crowd out of the game. The Bill Walsh teams with a 10 point lead would have never let Seattle come back and win.

Yup all that is very true. But in close games, a few critical blown calls or non calls can really impact and even determine a game.

Your right also. I just wish this team can just dominate in big games so the game isn't so close at the end a bad call decides the game. With a nice lead in the 4th quarter a blown call wont affect the game.

Yeah I'm hoping we assemble a team that is capable of that in 2014. We really need to win the division though and get homefield advantage throughout the playoffs. Playing in Seattle will be tough no matter how good we are.
We have the pieces to achieve all that it's just up to the coaching and players to have the confidence to go out there and do it they need some more swag and have the mentality of we are going to kick your ass the whole 4 quarters. Not just 2 quarters and then shut off in the 2nd half.
[ Edited by Raul98 on Feb 12, 2014 at 9:32 AM ]
  • BobS
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,296
Originally posted by lucky_49:
Originally posted by Janitor:
I'm more upset about this one from the SB, because it isn't a judgement call, it's black and white.


Lol, rembember when justin smith kind of brushed a ref's hand away and got ejected?
This is the one that is obviously fishy. The others were either non calls (with 7 officials watching 22 things will be missed) or calls that look different at high speed (what the ref bases the call on) compared to slow motion (what you see on the couch). The ref knew who shoved him back 5 yards and it was pretty obvious if the player isn't blind he knew he was shoving a ref. That one should have been 15 yards + an ejection.
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by lucky_49:
Originally posted by Janitor:
I'm more upset about this one from the SB, because it isn't a judgement call, it's black and white.


Lol, rembember when justin smith kind of brushed a ref's hand away and got ejected?
This is the one that is obviously fishy. The others were either non calls (with 7 officials watching 22 things will be missed) or calls that look different at high speed (what the ref bases the call on) compared to slow motion (what you see on the couch). The ref knew who shoved him back 5 yards and it was pretty obvious if the player isn't blind he knew he was shoving a ref. That one should have been 15 yards + an ejection.

Of course they were not going to throw a flag or eject any one they were letting the Ravens get away with what ever they wanted this game this play shouldn't be any different.
Originally posted by Stevec9932:
and come to think of it.. i cant recall a play that helped us out like that...

I'm sure Falcon fans would disagree and call Bowmans deflection a bad call but it was within the 5 yard range

Falcons fans can go eff themselves if they have the courage to cry about that call because if you remember on that drive the refs hooked the Falcons up BIG time. 3rd and 2 from close to the 50 and #83 grabs Rogers jersey around the neck area and pulls him down so that he slips and falls and then he gets wide open and catches a diving ball near the 30... but replays show when he hit the ground the ball moved and by rule it should have been incomplete and instead they gave him the big 1st down... watch the NFL.com highlights it is around the 8 minute mark. http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2013012001/2012/POST20/49ers@falcons#menu=highlights&tab=recap

This play is why not too many Falcons fans try to cry about the Bowman play.. most of them know better than to cry about officials because they didn't bail them out on 4th down a few plays after the refs just gave them a huge gift.
Originally posted by threelittlebirds:
Originally posted by Stevec9932:
and come to think of it.. i cant recall a play that helped us out like that...

I'm sure Falcon fans would disagree and call Bowmans deflection a bad call but it was within the 5 yard range

Falcons fans can go eff themselves if they have the courage to cry about that call because if you remember on that drive the refs hooked the Falcons up BIG time. 3rd and 2 from close to the 50 and #83 grabs Rogers jersey around the neck area and pulls him down so that he slips and falls and then he gets wide open and catches a diving ball near the 30... but replays show when he hit the ground the ball moved and by rule it should have been incomplete and instead they gave him the big 1st down... watch the NFL.com highlights it is around the 8 minute mark. http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2013012001/2012/POST20/49ers@falcons#menu=highlights&tab=recap

This play is why not too many Falcons fans try to cry about the Bowman play.. most of them know better than to cry about officials because they didn't bail them out on 4th down a few plays after the refs just gave them a huge gift.

I still don't even get why they complain about the Bowman play...not only was it within 5 yards it was also a bang-bang play (which is a moot point anyhow b/c of the legal within 5 yards contact). They are just pissed b/c Gonzalez was wide open in the EZ and Ryan missed him.
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 12, 2014 at 11:06 AM ]
I used to firmly believe in 'football gods', and 'karma', and that 'everything evens out over time', but we really already paid dearly for the long success this team enjoyed in the 80's and 90's with years of salary cap hell, and terrible front offices. I remember the first few 'down' years after Steve Young's career ending concussion, with other teams celebrating big wins over us and their fans going crazy -- like it was the best thing ever!

Sure, there are teams that have never been to the Superbowl, and nothing is guaranteed -- but is sure feels like something in football has jumped the shark, when a 'roided up cheating team with a cheating coach wins the trophy, and our team, while mostly doing things the right way and playing good hard football, ends up being just the backdrop to other team's fans having the greatest memories of their lives.

And, to have so much of that happen because of sh*t calls, non-calls, fluke plays, prayers answered for other teams, for three years in a row simply sucks sucks sucks as a fan of this team. Probably sucks for the players too.

I suppose we just have to keep perspective -- that it's just entertainment, just a game, and that in the end, it doesn't amount to much anyway compared to family, friends, health, and enjoying life.

But it still f*cking sucks.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
As for the Bradshaw fumble, there seems to be a lot of offensive flavor in the rulings when a ball is lost much like PI calls. If something bad happens offensively like a fumble, it is ruled that forward progress had stopped and the ball is ruled deal. Now if he pops off that tackler and runs for another 20 yards they rule he was never down. I have seen these types of one-sided rulings numerous times over the last couple years. The Kearse catch/fumble and Bowman recovery in the NFC champ game this year is another example of this type of play. Calls on these plays simply just seem to go to the offense. For conspiracy theorists, this is a great time where they can point at opportunity plays where officials could have a dramatic impact on the outcome of a game.

A HUGE problem with that play though was that the whistle to signal forward progress was blown after the ball had already come out. That's a fumble

Nice posts..AND don't forget, the exact same thing happened two weeks later in the Superbowl and it was called correctly that time.
Originally posted by Existence:
I used to firmly believe in 'football gods', and 'karma', and that 'everything evens out over time', but we really already paid dearly for the long success this team enjoyed in the 80's and 90's with years of salary cap hell, and terrible front offices. I remember the first few 'down' years after Steve Young's career ending concussion, with other teams celebrating big wins over us and their fans going crazy -- like it was the best thing ever!

Sure, there are teams that have never been to the Superbowl, and nothing is guaranteed -- but is sure feels like something in football has jumped the shark, when a 'roided up cheating team with a cheating coach wins the trophy, and our team, while mostly doing things the right way and playing good hard football, ends up being just the backdrop to other team's fans having the greatest memories of their lives.

And, to have so much of that happen because of sh*t calls, non-calls, fluke plays, prayers answered for other teams, for three years in a row simply sucks sucks sucks as a fan of this team. Probably sucks for the players too.

I suppose we just have to keep perspective -- that it's just entertainment, just a game, and that in the end, it doesn't amount to much anyway compared to family, friends, health, and enjoying life.

But it still f*cking sucks.

Totally!!!
Originally posted by NCommand:
I still don't even get why they complain about the Bowman play...not only was it within 5 yards it was also a bang-bang play (which is a moot point anyhow b/c of the legal within 5 yards contact). They are just pissed b/c Gonzalez was wide open in the EZ and Ryan missed him.

Neither do I, because not only was it within the 5 yards but it was Roddy White who initiated contact. When that happens the defender has the right to stand his ground. I think people make a big deal out of that play because the NFL Network post-game show guys spent a lot of time and energy crying about it and how the NFL gave the game to SF. Which I always rolled my eyes at because it wasn't the 49ers who were given a 1st down on a play where the WR clearly did not maintain possession as he went to the ground. I still laugh at how Sharper in the commentary says the ball moved a little.. what motherf**ker? the ball went from his belly button to between his legs... that ball didn't move a little... it moved quite a lot
I don't even know how to say this but... When we win I don't look back. I don't want to do the same when I lose. So can we stop legitimizing our whines.

I stopped this stuff when Terry Kirby was stripped of the ball while laying on his stomach in the Falcons game in 98'...

I am okay if it gets cornered to one thread but let's just keep it together. We are the 49ers not the Forty_Whiners.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Existence:
I used to firmly believe in 'football gods', and 'karma', and that 'everything evens out over time', but we really already paid dearly for the long success this team enjoyed in the 80's and 90's with years of salary cap hell, and terrible front offices. I remember the first few 'down' years after Steve Young's career ending concussion, with other teams celebrating big wins over us and their fans going crazy -- like it was the best thing ever!

Sure, there are teams that have never been to the Superbowl, and nothing is guaranteed -- but is sure feels like something in football has jumped the shark, when a 'roided up cheating team with a cheating coach wins the trophy, and our team, while mostly doing things the right way and playing good hard football, ends up being just the backdrop to other team's fans having the greatest memories of their lives.

And, to have so much of that happen because of sh*t calls, non-calls, fluke plays, prayers answered for other teams, for three years in a row simply sucks sucks sucks as a fan of this team. Probably sucks for the players too.

I suppose we just have to keep perspective -- that it's just entertainment, just a game, and that in the end, it doesn't amount to much anyway compared to family, friends, health, and enjoying life.

But it still f*cking sucks.

Totally!!!

Couldn't have said it better myself. Sad that a down right cheating ass team like the hawks won the superbowl. Then again patriots cheated during their 3 superbowl victories as well. Really though a strong dose of karma and bad luck should be headed the hawks way. A team who cheats and has absolutely no class like they do, really deserves some really bad s**t to happen.


And LOL at anyone that complains about bowmans play on the pass for roddy white. It was perfectly played legally. He bumped did not hold within five yards and reached around to swat ball down when it came.
Originally posted by Mercuryspeed:
I don't even know how to say this but... When we win I don't look back. I don't want to do the same when I lose. So can we stop legitimizing our whines.

I stopped this stuff when Terry Kirby was stripped of the ball while laying on his stomach in the Falcons game in 98'...

I am okay if it gets cornered to one thread but let's just keep it together. We are the 49ers not the Forty_Whiners.


Lol and there it is
...