LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 280 users in the forums

3 Plays from 2011, 2012, and 2013 that will Haunt us Forever

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Bradshaw play: They blew the whistle AFTER he fumbled. WTF was that? That play kills me.....

Crabtree play: Yes, the defender lead with his helmet, but I am ok with the no call on this one.

Brooks: Garbage call. In the current NFL, a big hit will draw a flag, no matter if it is legal or not. If it looks like a violent hit, the flag will come out.

What people fail to forget too is that the next game (Superbowl), the exact same thing happened and the ref DIDN'T blow the whistle so quickly and therefore, the play was reviewable and IIRC, ruled a fumble.

Whitner has been called for how many (incorrect) personal fouls for blows to the head? Yet this was a TEXTBOOK call...a defender leading with the crown of his helmet and LAUNCHING himself up into the facemask of a defensless player. This is the rule to a T. AND it was right in front of the ref on the sideline. We obviously don't even need to mention a textbook holding call either on the final pass play where Sports Science proved that had Crabtree not been held, not only could he have caught it easily but would have had to slow down to do so. And how about the organization of an entire officiating crew NOT to call one single holding on the safety play by the Ravens. To me, that reeks of organization. No need to rehash the shoving of the ref, the body hold on Miller on the return TD or the critical (one-sided) P.I. called on Culliver either.

Neck Gate...people forget that despite MP claiming this is called "10 out of 10 times" the exact same thing happened the following week in the Saints/Falcons game where Ryan was blasted in the face. No call.

So for those folks who want to say these things happen all the time and chalk it up to poor officiating, please show me ONE team that has been more screwed by critical calls/non-calls like this at the most crucial times of games in three straight playoffs...all contributing to losses.

PS: This is not to dismiss the fact that we STILL should have overcome these things but to dismiss them b/c of that is pointless. In all four cases, we were STILL in position to win and like Bowman said, critical calls like that at critical junctures of the game are absolutely deflating.

Excellent post. Exactly. We have been screwed by some horrible calls the last three years at VERY critical moments that could have and most likely would have determined the games. Terrible Calls or non calls went against and there went the game.
Originally posted by lucky_49:
Originally posted by Janitor:
I'm more upset about this one from the SB, because it isn't a judgement call, it's black and white.

Lol, rembember when justin smith kind of brushed a ref's hand away and got ejected?

Lol yup. In this case Carey Williams fully extends his arms and shoves the ref back three yards. In the chargers game where Justin Smith got ejected, the ref initiated the contact and was shoving his elbow into Justin Smith, Smith simply swiped his arm away thinking it was another player and then gets ejected. Lol now tell me how the f**k that works?
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
No it was a terrible no call. Under the rules, you are not allowed to lead with your helmet, go high on a defenseless receiver, or hit helmet to helmet. Jimmy Smith did all three. And of course you can say we lost because we played terrible in the first half, but we also still could have won if they just get that call right.

we would've won if we played up to our potential
Excellent post. Exactly. We have been screwed by some horrible calls the last three years at VERY critical moments that could have and most likely would have determined the games. Terrible Calls or non calls went against and there went the game.

Lol yup. In this case Carey Williams fully extends his arms and shoves the ref back three yards. In the chargers game where Justin Smith got ejected, the ref initiated the contact and was shoving his elbow into Justin Smith, Smith simply swiped his arm away thinking it was another player and then gets ejected. Lol now tell me how the f**k that works?

And had Carey Williams been ejected like he s/h been then, he would not have been able to blast Crabtree in the face at the end of the game (concussion-like symptoms)...I believe he had another two or three other big plays as well in the game IIRC (some P.I. non-calls, after play jarring, near INT on 3rd down, etc.).
Originally posted by iLL49er:
No it was a terrible no call. Under the rules, you are not allowed to lead with your helmet, go high on a defenseless receiver, or hit helmet to helmet. Jimmy Smith did all three. And of course you can say we lost because we played terrible in the first half, but we also still could have won if they just get that call right.

LOL! Many teams win games playing well under their "potential." The Steelers played like crap and even beat the Hawks in the Superbowl. Our own Joe Montana didn't always play great either...to his potential...but played great when he needed too. Do you recall any critical calls like these thwarting Montana's efforts with under 3 minutes to go? And the truth is, we DID make the plays to win in each of these games (Bowman x2, Brooks, Culliver, Crabtree, CK, etc.) and all with under 3:00 to go in the game. But...
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 12, 2014 at 8:19 AM ]
Originally posted by iLL49er:

Yes that is true, but we also still would have won if they get that call right.

And had Carey Williams been ejected like he s/h been then, he would not have been able to blast Crabtree in the face at the end of the game (concussion-like symptoms)...I believe he had another two or three other big plays as well in the game IIRC (some P.I. non-calls, after play jarring, near INT on 3rd down, etc.).

Interesting points. f**k the 13th man. We need to be so good that they also can't win the game for the other team.

Interesting points. f**k the 13th man. We need to be so good that they also can't win the game for the other team.

This. Like I said going into the NFCCG in Seattle, we KNEW we'd get at least 2 or 3 critical calls against us so we have to win and win convincingly. Unfortunately, we kept it was closer than it s/h been and naturally, didn't get the even/fair calls as a result. You can't leave any power in their hands. Period.

This. Like I said going into the NFCCG in Seattle, we KNEW we'd get at least 2 or 3 critical calls against us so we have to win and win convincingly. Unfortunately, we kept it was closer than it s/h been and naturally, didn't get the even/fair calls as a result. You can't leave any power in their hands. Period.

Yup. Had that game been in Candlestick I think we win rather convincingly, maybe a ten point win. That's why that Ahmad Brooks penalty on Brees was so big. We just weren't quite good enough to overcome the Seahawks, the 12th man, and the 13th man. There must have been at least five different times where I saw Seattle a whole yard or half yard short of the first down and the refs spot the ball forward a whole yard or two. Lol ridiculousness.
i do believe we were screwed not sure how much of it is on purpose or the refs just being human and messing up calls. I do see we never get brakes from the refs but that could be that the east coast bias NFL just doesn't really care making proper calls against west coast teams. But I'm not using the refs as an excuse for losing because despite all there bad calls in big games we are still in a position to win at the end and we lose by bad situational football and bad play at the QB position. I don't remember the exact quote but Bill Walsh once said if you do your job the refs would never be in position to decide the game for you we just don' do that. All our big games are close at the end cause we cant put teams away we let them come back and win or be in a position to win.
[ Edited by Raul98 on Feb 12, 2014 at 8:39 AM ]

Yup. Had that game been in Candlestick I think we win rather convincingly, maybe a ten point win. That's why that Ahmad Brooks penalty on Brees was so big. We just weren't quite good enough to overcome the Seahawks, the 12th man, and the 13th man. There must have been at least five different times where I saw Seattle a whole yard or half yard short of the first down and the refs spot the ball forward a whole yard or two. Lol ridiculousness.
We where good enough to over come Seattle and the 12th man we had a turn over in the red zone on the first play of the game and didn't step on there neck we settled for 3 AGAIN we got off to a 10 point lead and let them hang around and let them come back and win. Cause we don't know how to put good teams away in big games. The offense fell apart with turn overs in the 4th. With a 10 point lead we should have gone for the kill and that would have taken the crowd out of the game. The Bill Walsh teams with a 10 point lead would have never let Seattle come back and win.
Get over them. All that matters is where we are now.

Originally posted by Raul98:

We where good enough to over come Seattle and the 12th man we had a turn over in the red zone on the first play of the game and didn't step on there neck we settled for 3 AGAIN we got off to a 10 point lead and let them hang around and let them come back and win. Cause we don't know how to put good teams away in big games. The offense fell apart with turn overs in the 4th. With a 10 point lead we should have gone for the kill and that would have taken the crowd out of the game. The Bill Walsh teams with a 10 point lead would have never let Seattle come back and win.

Yup all that is very true. But in close games, a few critical blown calls or non calls can really impact and even determine a game.

Yup all that is very true. But in close games, a few critical blown calls or non calls can really impact and even determine a game.

Your right also. I just wish this team can just dominate in big games so the game isn't so close at the end and a bad call decides the game. With a nice lead in the 4th quarter a blown call wont affect the game.
[ Edited by Raul98 on Feb 12, 2014 at 8:50 AM ]
I think your #2 should be when we had to call a timeout on 3rd down of that Super Bowl drive. I totally agree with Colin. He gets the edge on that run play.

Your right also. I just wish this team can just dominate in big games so the game isn't so close at the end a bad call decides the game. With a nice lead in the 4th quarter a blown call wont affect the game.

Yeah I'm hoping we assemble a team that is capable of that in 2014. We really need to win the division though and get homefield advantage throughout the playoffs. Playing in Seattle will be tough no matter how good we are.
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
I think your #2 should be when we had to call a timeout on 3rd down of that Super Bowl drive. I totally agree with Colin. He gets the edge on that run play.

Yeah but I can't blame the officials for that one lol. That was just us once again having poor clock management
Share 49ersWebzone