LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 354 users in the forums

3 Plays from 2011, 2012, and 2013 that will Haunt us Forever

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Ok to start off, I realize this thread will generate some bashing and people who will say "see this is why they call us the forty whiners". Maybe some will say "what is the point of rehashing this old stuff, it's water under the bridge." Well this is a forum to discuss niner football, it's the offseason, and it's nice to vent from time to time about some critical moments where I believe we were screwed..

I think it is very fair to make the argument that we were hosed on three plays, and had they been correctly officiated, we are probably Superbowl Champs all three years. Keep in mind of course there were many other plays in all of these games that could have influenced the outcome of the games, but I'm just strictly talking about these three plays that I think by them self would have determined the outcome.

2011 Ahmad Bradshaw Fumble
Anyways, lets start off with the first play from the 2011 season. The NFC championship game. With 2:19 left in the game, score tied 17-17, Navorro Bowman strips Ahmad Bradshaw at the Giants own 18 yard line and the 49ers recover. Refs claim forward progress is called instead and possession remains with the Giants. I have never seen forward progress called so fast and if you go back and look at the replay, even with how fast the forward progress was called, it was still called after Bradshaw had already fumbled. The replay shows the ball is out and then the whistle is blown. Should have been niners ball and in all likelihood we kill the clock and kick the game winning field goal. I don't think we would have had too much trouble with the Patriots. Of course I can't just declare that we would have won the Superbowl for sure, but I think many feel very confident that we would have, especially with that 2011 defense. Anyways, refresh your memory of that play for yourself..

2012 Jimmy Smith helmet to helmet hit on Crabtree
On the last drive in the Superbowl on third and goal, Kaepernick throws a pass to Crabtree in the flat. Smith comes up and leads with his helmet right into Crabs facemask. Should have been a personal foul for leading with the helmet, hitting a defenseless receiver, and targeting the head, which would have resulted in a new set of downs at the four yard line. Then of course we have the infamous no holding call the very next play, where Smith basically hugs Crabtree and grabs some jersey. How neither of those were called, is beyond me. With a first down from either the four yard line, or the one yard line, it's not a guarantee that we get in, but the chances are very good.

2013 Ahmad Brooks hit on Drew Brees
With 3:18 left in the game, 49ers up by 3, Brooks sacks Brees, Brees fumbles and 49ers recover close to midfield. It's likely at that point that the 49ers win the game. Refs call a penalty on a hit to the head and neck area of the quarterback. It was the wrong call as the initial hit was to the very upper portion of Bree's chest. Naturally as he was going down, Brooks arm grazes his neck. The hit itself was not to the neck, nor did Brooks hook his neck or bring him down by the neck. Obviously it is very difficult to see in game time speed, but that is why I think these type of plays need to be reviewable in the future. Anyways, if the refs don't throw the penalty on Brooks, we earn homefield advantage and likely win the NFC championship game. After all, the Seahawks haven't won in Candlestick since 2008. Then I doubt we have much trouble with the Broncos as well.

Of course you can always just say oh well you should have played better and it wouldn't have come down to this or that play. That always makes me laugh. It's tough to always be that much better than your opponent. A blown call or two can really change a game and even a season as we have seen. So had these three plays gone our way, I feel it is very likely we are Superbowl champs the last three years.

Anyways, here's to hoping that we are so good in 2014 that it can't come down to a few blown calls. Hopefully we dominate our opponents so thoroughly that officiating can't make a difference.
[ Edited by pwillis52beasty on Feb 11, 2014 at 10:08 PM ]
Haha never saw that rendition before -- "neck and concrete" hahahahaha.
Bradshaw play: They blew the whistle AFTER he fumbled. WTF was that? That play kills me.....

Crabtree play: Yes, the defender lead with his helmet, but I am ok with the no call on this one.

Brooks: Garbage call. In the current NFL, a big hit will draw a flag, no matter if it is legal or not. If it looks like a violent hit, the flag will come out.
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Bradshaw play: They blew the whistle AFTER he fumbled. WTF was that? That play kills me.....

Crabtree play: Yes, the defender lead with his helmet, but I am ok with the no call on this one.

Brooks: Garbage call. In the current NFL, a big hit will draw a flag, no matter if it is legal or not. If it looks like a violent hit, the flag will come out.

The hit on Crabtree was violent. It was illegal. The flag doesn't come out. Hypocrisy. The NFL must do better
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Feb 12, 2014 at 5:52 AM ]
Once I start looking backwards the last three years bring on a depressed state of mind. This last loss to Seattle brings on anger, it could be the culmination of the three years combined. We were so close to winning 3 straight Super Bowls.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Once I start looking backwards the last three years bring on a depressed state of mind. This last loss to Seattle brings on anger, it could be the culmination of the three years combined. We were so close to winning 3 straight Super Bowls.

I know, but if we had, which would have been nearly impossible, I highly doubt we make a run for SB 49 (our destiny) & SB 50 in our house. This is wishful thinking but don't lose hope! :)
from last yr's superbowl the one that irks me the most is the pass interference they called on culliver where he was just playing good defense, that extended b-more's drive and then somehow flacco keeps hitting miracles to boldin

that cully PI call was huge
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Haha never saw that rendition before -- "neck and concrete" hahahahaha.

LOL
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

The hit on Crabtree was violent. It was illegal. The flag doesn't come out. Hypocrisy. The NFL must do better

Yeah Crabtree reportedly lost vision temporarily because of that hit to the head. It's funny because they call a penalty on Brooks for his hit on Brees, but don't call an obvious leading with the helmet and a helmet to helmet hit on Jimmy Smiths hit on Crabtree.

And the argument that oh Brees was a quarterback in the pocket and Crabtree is a receiver is a baloney argument. Crabtree was still a defenseless receiver and the hit he took was much more severe and blatantly illegal, as opposed to the Brooks hit which was very borderline and when replayed in slow motion you can see the initial contact was to the high chest area. They really need to be able to review these plays in the future.

Originally posted by RishikeshA:

I hear you man. It's very frustrating that we were so close and to look back at it and see that just one poorly officiated play could have meant the difference between us not being champs and being champs. That's why hopefully for 2014 we assemble a team that is so dominant that it can't come down to a play or two.
Originally posted by iLL49er:
from last yr's superbowl the one that irks me the most is the pass interference they called on culliver where he was just playing good defense, that extended b-more's drive and then somehow flacco keeps hitting miracles to boldin

Yeah there were definitely a lot of other b******t calls that were called against us or not called for us in that game. Cully gets flagged for great defense, while Jimmy Smith doesn't get flagged for what definitely appeared to be holding. They had to help Mr. Ray Lewis go out on top, after all he was destined to. Another huge non call was Bruce Miller basically being mugged and picked up by two guys on the Jacoby Jones kickoff return for a touchdown. It was right in front of the play and in the lane Jones ran in. No idea how the refs miss that.

Those plays and many more helped influence that game, but even disregarding all those plays, if the refs just make a correct call on a obvious helmet to helmet hit by Jimmy Smith, we get a new set of downs and most likely score a td to win the Superbowl.
[ Edited by pwillis52beasty on Feb 12, 2014 at 6:59 AM ]
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:

Yeah there were definitely a lot of other b******t calls that were called against us or not called for us in that game. Cully gets flagged for great defense, while Jimmy Smith doesn't get flagged for what definitely appeared to be holding. They had to help Mr. Ray Lewis go out on top, after all he was destined to. Another huge non call was Bruce Miller basically being mugged and picked up by two guys on the Jacoby Jones kickoff return for a touchdown. It was right in front of the play and in the lane Jones ran in. No idea how the refs miss that.

Those plays and many more helped influence that game, but even disregarding all those plays, if the refs just make a correct call on a obvious helmet to helmet hit by Jimmy Smith, we get a new set of downs and most likely score a td to win the Superbowl.

disagree, good no call on jimmy smith hit just as it should've been a no call on cully

we lost not cuz of the refs but because we played like sh!t in the 1st half and fangio decided not to pressure flacco until the 2nd half when everyone knew the book on flacco is blitz him and he gets ratteld

Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:

disagree, good no call on jimmy smith hit just as it should've been a no call on cully

we lost not cuz of the refs but because we played like sh!t in the 1st half and fangio decided not to pressure flacco until the 2nd half when everyone knew the book on flacco is blitz him and he gets ratteld

No it was a terrible no call. Under the rules, you are not allowed to lead with your helmet, go high on a defenseless receiver, or hit helmet to helmet. Jimmy Smith did all three. And of course you can say we lost because we played terrible in the first half, but we also still could have won if they just get that call right.
Seems like a pattern to me. If this kind of b******t happens again next season i will quit football until we get a new commissioner.

What people fail to remmber too is that the next game (Superbowl), the exact same thing happened and the ref DIDN'T blow the whistle (so quickly) and therefore, the play was reviewable and IIRC, ruled a fumble.

Whitner has been called for how many (incorrect) personal fouls for blows to the head? Yet this was a TEXTBOOK call...a defender leading with the crown of his helmet and LAUNCHING himself up into the facemask of a defensless player. This is the rule to a T. AND it was right in front of the ref on the sideline. We obviously don't even need to mention a textbook holding call either on the final pass play where Sports Science proved that had Crabtree not been held, not only could he have caught it easily but would have had to slow down to do so. And how about the organization of an entire officiating crew NOT to call one single holding on the safety play by the Ravens. To me, that reeks of organization. No need to rehash the shoving of the ref, the body hold on Miller on the return TD or the critical (one-sided) P.I. called on Culliver either.

Neck Gate...people forget that despite MP claiming this is called "10 out of 10 times" the exact same thing happened the following week in the Saints/Falcons game where Ryan was blasted in the face. No call.

So for those folks who want to say these things happen all the time and chalk it up to poor officiating, please show me ONE team that has been more screwed by critical calls/non-calls like this at the most crucial times of games in three straight playoffs...all contributing to losses.

PS: This is not to dismiss the fact that we STILL should have overcome these things but to dismiss them b/c of that is pointless. In all four cases, we were STILL in position to win and like Bowman said, critical calls like that at critical junctures of the game are absolutely deflating.
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 12, 2014 at 8:07 AM ]
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
I'm more upset about this one from the SB, because it isn't a judgement call, it's black and white.

Originally posted by Janitor:
I'm more upset about this one from the SB, because it isn't a judgement call, it's black and white.

Lol, rembember when justin smith kind of brushed a ref's hand away and got ejected?
Share 49ersWebzone