LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 218 users in the forums

Rising Players

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Alright, now that the 90 is pretty well set, let's take one more look at players you think will be surprises to make the 53 and/or ones who will unexpectedly make huge leaps and take over starter roles or play much bigger roles than originally expected.

Put your picks out there on the line for the record!

The Current 90/53:
Offense: (IR)
QB: Colin Kaepernick; Josh Johnson; Blaine Gabbert; McLeod Bethel-Thompson & Kory Faulkner
RB: Frank Gore; Kendall Hunter; Marcus Lattimore; LaMichael James, Jewel Hampton & Carlos Hyde
FB: Bruce Miller & (Trey Millard)
X: Anquan Boldin; Jon Baldwin
Y (SLOT): Quinton Patton; Stevie Johnson; Bruce Ellington; Chuck Jacobs & Devon Wiley
Z: Michael Crabtree; Kassim Osgood; Brandon Lloyd & David Reed
TE: Vernon Davis; Vance McDonald; Garrett Celek & Derek Carrier
LOT: Joe Staley; Luke Marquardt & Al Netter
ROT: Anthony Davis; Jonathan Martin & Carter Bykowski
LG: Mike Iupati; Joe Looney & Ryan Seymour
RG: Alex Boone; Adam Snyder & (Brandon Thomas)
C: Daniel Kilgore; Marcus Martin & Dillon Ferrell

Defense: (IR)
RDE: Justin Smith; Tony Jerod-Eddie & Lawrence Okoye
LDE: Ray McDonald; DeMarcus Dobbs; Quinton Dial; Tank Carradine & Kaleb Ramsey
NT: Glenn Dorsey; Ian Williams & Mike Purcell
WILL: Aldon Smith; Dan Skuta & Morgan Breslin
SAM: Michael Wilhoite; Chris Borland; Shayne Skov & (Navarro Bowman)
MIKE: Patrick Willis & Nick Moody
TED: Ahmad Brooks; Corey Lemonier & Aaron Lynch
RCB: Tramaine Brock; Dontae Johnson & (Keith Reaser)
LCB: Chris Culliver; Eric Wright; Chris Cook & Kenneth Acker
SLOT/NICKLE: Jimmie Ward; Perrish Cox & Darryl Morris
FS: Eric Reid; C.J. Spillman; L.J. McCray & D.J. Campbell
SS: Antoine Bethea; Craig Dahl & Raymond Ventrone

Special Teams:
LS: Kevin McDermott
PK: Phil Dawson
P: Andy Lee & Colton Schmidt
PR/KOR: LaMichael James; Devon Wiley; Bruce Ellington, Kenneth Acker, Carlos Hyde & L.J. McCray
[ Edited by NCommand on May 20, 2014 at 10:33 AM ]
^^^^based on the above 90, mark me down for tank carradine. As I've mentioned a couple of times, I watched him really close at FSU. I feel he will get himself in the rotation at the start of the season and by the end of the year he will be pushing ray for the starter spot. I believe when it's all said an done he will be the steal of the 2013 draft. The speed and size he has is freakish.
[ Edited by Niners816 on May 20, 2014 at 10:39 AM ]
You're in the mix Niners816!

Here are my updates (some really dark horses with tons of upside and many playing multiple roles for us which is huge upon making the 53).

Updates: Given the additions via FA and the Draft, I will reassess to the following. I have to be honest, in the past, I had a good eye for some surprise players but this year, it's very difficult given the known starters and depth behind them. So I'll go with some long-shots in Ian Williams, Darryl Morris, L.J. McCray, Lawrence Okoye, Quinton Dial, Derek Carrier & Jon Baldwin. First, Williams was the forgotten man but he claerly won the starting NT job and was slashing through gaps while being strong enough and stout enough to hold the point. He'll regain form and be even stronger/quicker and will stand out on film. Morris is my Cooper this year. While he may not have a ton of opportunities with Ward playinh Nickle/Slot, when he gets on the field in the slot, you are going to see lightning out there helping to shut down Harvin and Austin and all the other electric slot WR's. McCray. Who? This kid is not only going to make the 53 as a backup S but as a dynamic returner. Okoye will have come miles from last year and is going to surprise many (longest shot though IMHO) and Dial can now play NT and DE which is critical in our front 3. Carrier is gong to become that H-back we've missed since Walker left and is going to surprise quite a few in here. And finally, Baldwin will be leaps and bounds better than last year and will earn a backup role at the X spot behind Boldin.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 20, 2014 at 11:13 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:

Here are my updates (some really dark horses with tons of upside and many playing multiple roles for us which is huge upon making the 53).

Updates: Given the additions via FA and the Draft, I will reassess to the following. I have to be honest, in the past, I had a good eye for some surprise players but this year, it's very difficult given the known starters and depth behind them. So I'll go with some long-shots in Ian Williams, Darryl Morris, L.J. McCray, Lawrence Okoye, Quinton Dial, Derek Carrier & Jon Baldwin. First, Williams was the forgotten man but he claerly won the starting NT job and was slashing through gaps while being strong enough and stout enough to hold the point. He'll regain form and be even stronger/quicker and will stand out on film. Morris is my Cooper this year. While he may not have a ton of opportunities with Ward playinh Nickle/Slot, when he gets on the field in the slot, you are going to see lightning out there helping to shut down Harvin and Austin and all the other electric slot WR's. McCray. Who? This kid is not only going to make the 53 as a backup S but as a dynamic returner. Okoye will have come miles from last year and is going to surprise many (longest shot though IMHO) and Dial can now play NT and DE which is critical in our front 3. Carrier is gong to become that H-back we've missed since Walker left and is going to surprise quite a few in here. And finally, Baldwin will be leaps and bounds better than last year and will earn a backup role at the X spot behind Boldin.

All these guys bring unique talents and may have been forgotten or overlooked.

Morris makes it based on his ST contributions, if nothing else. He was great last season as gunner, and makes Osgood expendable.

I see Okoye as needing another year on PS. There's just too much depth ahead of him on the DL.

I hope you're right about Baldwin. He fills the need for a big redzone target, but needs to show more fight. IMHO.

Its a deep and talented roster this year, and these guys are all uniquely talented.

A lot will come down to ST and the ability to contribute there. Morris, McCray, & Carrier all have an edge there in experience.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:

All these guys bring unique talents and may have been forgotten or overlooked.

Morris makes it based on his ST contributions, if nothing else. He was great last season as gunner, and makes Osgood expendable.

I see Okoye as needing another year on PS. There's just too much depth ahead of him on the DL.

I hope you're right about Baldwin. He fills the need for a big redzone target, but needs to show more fight. IMHO.

Its a deep and talented roster this year, and these guys are all uniquely talented.

A lot will come down to ST and the ability to contribute there. Morris, McCray, & Carrier all have an edge there in experience.

No question about it. Okoye is the biggest long-shot and I could easily see him ending up on the PS for one more year of development (or surprising the heck out of people in pre season). When expectations are low or you're not a common house hold name, you have guys like TJE last year who forced fans to say, "Who the heck is that? Wait, seriously? He made the 53!" That's the kind of guy myself and DeUh and others like to try and ID early and see how it all pans out esp. with the success Baalke has had with late round draft picks and UDFA's (and PS developmental players getting their shot). I can't wait for the battles and surprises to begin. In the end, I agree, versatility in being able to play multiple positions or being a viable backup at a position WITH special teams excellence will be the critical factor to many making the 53 and 46.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 20, 2014 at 11:37 AM ]
Okay, here's a prediction: M. Martin's gonna be the unexpected starter at Center and will earn All Pro honors as the anchor of the best OL in the league!

With Boone on one side and a very motivated Iupati (contract year) on the other, Martin leads an unstoppable interior blocking corps for Gore/Hyde/Lattimore, who prove nearly unstoppable in the run game--which sets up an improved passing game, with highly improved pass protection for Kap.

Niners lead the league in scoring, time of possession, and wins!

All because M. Martin takes over and dominates at Center.

How's that for a rising star?
Okay, here's a prediction: M. Martin's gonna be the unexpected starter at Center and will earn All Pro honors as the anchor of the best OL in the league!

With Boone on one side and a very motivated Iupati (contract year) on the other, Martin leads an unstoppable interior blocking corps for Gore/Hyde/Lattimore, who prove nearly unstoppable in the run game--which sets up an improved passing game, with highly improved pass protection for Kap.

Absolutely! Well done sir. Yeah, his film looks terrific and he just seems to have a nack for the position both in the run and pass blocking game. It's going to be an epic battle. How fast can he learn the playbook to give Kilgore a run for his money?
Carradine, Moody and Lenonier .....
Carradine, Ellington, Morris, and D Johnson
A lot of the 49ers are already established so I'm not sure what is meant about rising stars. Kaepernick I suppose, but who else? Reid is solid but is not a star. Other than Kaep, all our guys are already established.

I love the Moody, Johnson and Morris picks a lot.
Originally posted by bzborow1:
A lot of the 49ers are already established so I'm not sure what is meant about rising stars. Kaepernick I suppose, but who else? Reid is solid but is not a star. Other than Kaep, all our guys are already established.

Rising stars (for us). That is, untapped players that suddenly burst onto the scene (ala Boone, Brock, etc.). A better term would be a "dark-horse"...unless your last name is Borland
Originally posted by bzborow1:

If Reid hasn't impressed you much last season, get ready for this season. Reid speed and range will help up Bethea's game. People might still question the secondary, but I think it'll be good and really improved. Don't forget about Ward either.

Absolutely! Well done sir. Yeah, his film looks terrific and he just seems to have a nack for the position both in the run and pass blocking game. It's going to be an epic battle. How fast can he learn the playbook to give Kilgore a run for his money?

Realistically, it may take him a while to learn the playbook.

I thought Martin's natural ability to lock onto defenders on the second level was pretty clear on film... loved the pick and hope he starts

Prediction: I'm thinking Hyde starts by game 6...
Share 49ersWebzone