LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 290 users in the forums

Rising Players

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
My money is on Chris Culliver.

I understand that he had an awful Superbowl and it's unforgivable to some on this board, but the guy is young, big, athletic, and has tons of confidence.

His stock is up, in my opinion.

he has become a victim of having his worst day at the absolute worst time. he had a very good season aside from that, he does need to get better at locating the ball in the air but aside from that he is a very good prospect.

You guys think it makes sense to extend Cully now at a cheap price? Perhaps Cully wouldn't want to in order to raise his stock by playing well in 14-15. I think he's going to emerge as a good starter this coming season. Love his size for the CB position.
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
My money is on Chris Culliver.

I understand that he had an awful Superbowl and it's unforgivable to some on this board, but the guy is young, big, athletic, and has tons of confidence.

His stock is up, in my opinion.

he has become a victim of having his worst day at the absolute worst time. he had a very good season aside from that, he does need to get better at locating the ball in the air but aside from that he is a very good prospect.

My sentiments exactly. I think the poor superbowl game was an exception more than the rule -- 2 weeks prior he made a clutch interception against the Falcon's Roddy White, in addition to a lot of solid play throughout the season.

He's got the tools, let's just hope he continues to develop! We have the makings for a young, solid secondary: Tramaine Brock -- Chris Culliver -- Eric Reid -- Whitner/Draft pick.
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
I can honestly see the 49ers coming up with a 3 TE set that involves VD, McDonald and Carrier.

...and then hand it off to Gore for no gain.
Since you put Tank on your list I thought I's post this article link. Very good read.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1960023-tank-carradine-the-next-great-starter-on-the-san-francisco-49ers-defense?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=san-francisco-49ers
It is always exciting to envision who will come out of the PS and take charge to win a spot or even a key role on team. I like the list you came up with. It will also be interesting to see which of this year contributors will not have a good season next year.

My list is: Gore, Willis, Kilgore, Culliver, James, and Vance MacDonald.

Gore is getting old. Willis will be asked to do a lot more and team will focus more on him now Bowman is sidelined. Kilgore may become overwhelm by the responsibility with making line adjustment. Culliver will have to overcome the mental side of his injury (playing scare). The coaches still have not idea how to use James and will see more of his time taken away by Lattimore and a new punt and kickoff returner. Vance MacDonald is still full of himself and will take another couple of years, like Vernon Davis did, to learn how to play TE.
Originally posted by Playingblind07:
It is always exciting to envision who will come out of the PS and take charge to win a spot or even a key role on team. I like the list you came up with. It will also be interesting to see which of this year contributors will not have a good season next year.

Gore is getting old. Willis will be asked to do a lot more and team will focus more on him now Bowman is sidelined. Kilgore may become overwhelm by the responsibility with making line adjustment. Culliver will have to overcome the mental side of his injury (playing scare). The coaches still have not idea how to use James and will see more of his time taken away by Lattimore and a new punt and kickoff returner. Vance MacDonald is still full of himself and will take another couple of years, like Vernon Davis did, to learn how to play TE.

What makes you say Vance MacDonald is full of himself?
Originally posted by Zachary:
Patton = Josh Gordon

Minus off field issues.
Originally posted by Playingblind07:

That's a good point...to cover the disappointing side of things. Every year we have high hopes for certain players and whether it's injuries, scheme, lack of use, improper use, circumstances, the player himself, etc. they fall off. You may have hit the nail on the head on many of these guys and the reason's why:
Gore - tough and brutal drop off d/t lack of focus d/t not being "the bell cow" anymore.
Boldin - with a healthy VD and Crabtree, maybe a guy like Patton, we could see a big drop off on opportunities for Boldin and him being vocal about this.
Davis - could be tapped out at his ceiling and struggles
CK - offense too simple (AR or one read) yet complex (350 page playbook) at the same time and as always, very little time to read and adjust to defenses at the LOS. Continues to struggle with trusting his WR's in low-percentage plays no matter what and continues to lack the development in progression reads and utilizing outlets when those plays are called in.
Reid - could lose Whitner and he has his sophmore season d/t the added pressure of building up a rookie at SS.
Brock/Culliver - Brown and Rogers could be salary cap casualties but neither of these guys play to form from where they left off.
McDonald - just never earns the trust of this coaching staff so the scraps of receiving chances now go to Carrier/Celek.
James - well...

Anybody have some early surprising cuts?
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 27, 2014 at 9:52 AM ]
A list of my star contributors:
1. Rookie punt returner gives us consistent field advantage and ball security.
2. Kilgor and Looney fortify the offensive line. Marquardt and Bykowski give us some tackle options. Seymour is our backup guard and center.
3. McDonald gets the light turned on and he develops some concentration with catching the ball first and running second, and still continues to develop as a blocker. He also gets more strength during the offseason.
4. Okoye, Dial, Jerod Eddie battle for backup DT/De. Okoye makes it over Dial and on to the 53. .
5. Daryl Morris wins the slot job at CB and teams up with Brock, Culliver, Cox, and Rookie CB.
6. Patton makes successful strides at #3 WR with Boldin and Crabtree. Two rookies fight over remaining 1 position left. Osgood wins out at #5
7. Lattimore gains momentum as #1 RB. Learns from Gore how to do pass protection, his number 1 issue in training camp.
8. Kaep goes to Peyton Mannings camp to learn how to put touch on a pass and improve his reading of defenses.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
A list of my star contributors:
1. Rookie punt returner gives us consistent field advantage and ball security.
2. Kilgor and Looney fortify the offensive line. Marquardt and Bykowski give us some tackle options. Seymour is our backup guard and center.
3. McDonald gets the light turned on and he develops some concentration with catching the ball first and running second, and still continues to develop as a blocker. He also gets more strength during the offseason.
4. Okoye, Dial, Jerod Eddie battle for backup DT/De. Okoye makes it over Dial and on to the 53. .
5. Daryl Morris wins the slot job at CB and teams up with Brock, Culliver, Cox, and Rookie CB.
6. Patton makes successful strides at #3 WR with Boldin and Crabtree. Two rookies fight over remaining 1 position left. Osgood wins out at #5
7. Lattimore gains momentum as #1 RB. Learns from Gore how to do pass protection, his number 1 issue in training camp.
8. Kaep goes to Peyton Mannings camp to learn how to put touch on a pass and improve his reading of defenses.

Epic!

to many to count
I cant wait to see DE Carradine and RB Lattimore,
Bringing this back for fun. Any updates for some?
  • pd24
  • Veteran
I think Chris Culliver has a chance to be a lock down CB. I can't wait to see him start.
Originally posted by matt49er:
Tank: I think he comes in and does a great job for us rushing the passer on 3rd down and helps in the DE rotation
Lattimore: Don't be surprised if it's obvious by midseason (or earlier) that's he's the new man in town at the RB position
Kilgore: I think he steps in as the new starting center and does a better job than Goodwin
Patton: He'll be our #3 WR and I think he makes a huge lead from his rookie year
Vance: Dude is just too big & fast (for his size) to not do something in the passing game, like Patton, I think we see a huge difference next season
Culliver: I think we draft a rookie CB high in the draft and Cully holds him off
Lemonier: Fangio said he was further along than Aldon was his rookie year overall. The play of Skuta I think hurt him this year but I'm betting we hold Bowman out a few weeks to start the season and Skuta plays ILB while he's out, Corey proves to be a valuable passrusher.
Rookie SS: I know it's weird to call this out now, but I think like Reid did in place of Goldson, I'm betting the new rookie SS (whoever he is lol) ends up doing a better job in coverage than Whitner and improves the secondary.
i think patton may get to play but my money is on our first round pick this year being a stud receiver who will demand playing time with his skills. its a good problem to have. i feel like Tank will become a household name this year. lattimore will get lots of carries in a rotation with gore and hunter and our RB stable stays fresh all year long hopefully. lemonier should be exciting to watch as he develops too. i think fangio's system is awesome for edge rushers, hes made studs out of damn near every LB we have on the roster even the reserves. Dial should be fun to watch in the dline rotation too because hes a big mean son of a b***h
Share 49ersWebzone