LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 225 users in the forums

Rising Players

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Good stuff guys...I agree, Spillman would make more sense (more in the FS mold) should Whitner depart for more money (or we let him go). Then we can slowly transition the rookie into the fold. I do think the emphasis will be on COVERAGE from now on...not big hits or in-the-box tackling. We've been destroyed in the deep pass coverage game the past three years in the NFCCG's and Superbowl. Enough is enough!
Originally posted by NCommand:
Good stuff guys...I agree, Spillman would make more sense (more in the FS mold) should Whitner depart for more money (or we let him go). Then we can slowly transition the rookie into the fold. I do think the emphasis will be on COVERAGE from now on...not big hits or in-the-box tackling. We've been destroyed in the deep pass coverage game the past three years in the NFCCG's and Superbowl. Enough is enough!

Completely agree. I'd like to see a revamped secondary that puts much more of an emphasis on excellent coverage skills than the big enforcer type hits. Those days are coming to an end with the way the NFL is going. Three years in a row on the biggest stages (Super Bowl 2012, NFCCG 2x), poor coverage has cost us big time .

Also, not expecting much from Spillman but I think it's fair to let him compete with the rookie for the starting job should Whitner leave.
[ Edited by NeonNiner on Feb 12, 2014 at 8:46 AM ]
Originally posted by NeonNiner:

Completely agree. I'd like to see a revamped secondary that puts much more of an emphasis on excellent coverage skills than the big enforcer type hits. Those days are coming to an end with the way the NFL is going. Three years in a row on the biggest stages (Super Bowl 2012, NFCCG 2x), poor coverage has cost us big time .

Also, not expecting much from Spillman but I think it's fair to let him compete with the rookie for the starting job should Whitner leave.

Totally...aside from horrendous ST coaching/calls this is one area that probably cost us the most defensively.

NFCCG - Goldson knocks out Brown...Eli immediately goes to Manningham on Brock. TD. Game over.
Superbowl - Whitner abused for 2, possibly 3 TD's alone. As usual, Goldson is nowhere to be found. Culliver can't track the ball or his WR. Game over.
NFCCG - Both Reid and Whitner are already playing 40+ yards deep and allow the "here-it-comes" deep ball to Baldwin who easily gets behind them. Rogers trying to defend a pass in the EZ? Laughable. Game over.

Give me some damn DB's who can knock down a pass, deflect it, INT it, can high-point it, who can be in position to succeed and who PRACTICE these plays non-stop to perfection. Give me a SS with some damn range who can help over-the-top on all these sideline bombs as well. And for the love of God, allow Brock and Culliver to play physical press at the LOS once in a while and make these WR's at least earn their catches (enough with the clean releases).
Totally...aside from horrendous ST coaching/calls this is one area that probably cost us the most defensively.

NFCCG - Goldson knocks out Brown...Eli immediately goes to Manningham on Brock. TD. Game over.
Superbowl - Whitner abused for 2, possibly 3 TD's alone. As usual, Goldson is nowhere to be found. Culliver can't track the ball or his WR. Game over.
NFCCG - Both Reid and Whitner are already playing 40+ yards deep and allow the "here-it-comes" deep ball to Baldwin who easily gets behind them. Rogers trying to defend a pass in the EZ? Laughable. Game over.

Give me some damn DB's who can knock down a pass, deflect it, INT it, can high-point it, who can be in position to succeed and who PRACTICE these plays non-stop to perfection. Give me a SS with some damn range who can help over-the-top on all these sideline bombs as well. And for the love of God, allow Brock and Culliver to play physical press at the LOS once in a while and make these WR's at least earn their catches (enough with the clean releases).

Thank you! These are the game-changing issues that have made the biggest difference in these loses. I'd like them to replace Whitner with a safety with better coverage skills more like Reid. I know Reid made one of the mistakes you mention above, but he went through his entire rookie season showing good coverage and was never flagged for 15 yards once. He covers. He doesn't "enforce."
Originally posted by iLL49er:
Originally posted by lucky_49:
kinda doubt morris gets the nickel role tbh

agree, nickle role requires very good understanding of the scheme, that's why fangio loved rogers in that role

i honestly think tarrell brown will be back...the corner market is deep, he won't get the big bucks and will re-up w/ us and will move into the slot in nickle leaving brock and cully outside
Brown isn't gonna work in the slot . he doesn't turn his hips well. They tried him there before and he got torched. But I do think he will be back.

I think Kilgore and Lattimore will be standouts. Just not sure bout Tanks' knee and I'm not sure where Dial will get the playing time to develop.
Good post!

I think Kilgore will shine Big Time. He knows the offense, has learned for a very sound technician and is a hungry man.

Skuta really has some intensity and really brings it. I see him contributing big time. Also Wilhoite will be a star.

I feel Brooks will pick up where he left off. He was getting better every game and he'll double his sack total.

Reid will also take another huge leap.

The only thing that will hold Patton back is the play calling.

Boone will continue to improve and get more praise around the league.

Look for Moody to wreak havoc on ST.

I'm looking for Baalke to build up the DB in both S & CB positions in the draft.

Also, WR needs to be fixed in the draft.
offense- Patton

defense- Culliver

Ugh, don't remind me of those two horrible passes by Eli that the CB was in perfect position and was about to make the INT when Goldson comes flying in at the last second and hits the s**t out of the CB. It was bad enough that it happened once... but that tool did it twice.

Agree with the idea that they need to focus more on coverage skills than making big hits. It is pretty pathetic that deep bombs against the 49ers in big games are more successful than average. The Seattle games, the Packer games, the Falcons and Giants NFCCG, and of course the Super Bowl. The one thing they all have in common are big passes usually for TDs because one or more of the guys in the secondary completely screwed up
Originally posted by threelittlebirds:

Ugh, don't remind me of those two horrible passes by Eli that the CB was in perfect position and was about to make the INT when Goldson comes flying in at the last second and hits the s**t out of the CB. It was bad enough that it happened once... but that tool did it twice.

Agree with the idea that they need to focus more on coverage skills than making big hits. It is pretty pathetic that deep bombs against the 49ers in big games are more successful than average. The Seattle games, the Packer games, the Falcons and Giants NFCCG, and of course the Super Bowl. The one thing they all have in common are big passes usually for TDs because one or more of the guys in the secondary completely screwed up

That's true...I didn't even bother covering the other games. Goldson...smh!
I'd like to think that the light bulb will come on for Vance McDonald and he will have something of a breakout season next year.

But then again, his name is 'Vance'...

Originally posted by Existence:
I'd like to think that the light bulb will come on for Vance McDonald and he will have something of a breakout season next year.

But then again, his name is 'Vance'...

I'm more hoping the light bulb comes on with HaRoMan. The dude can play...
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Good post!

I think Kilgore will shine Big Time. He knows the offense, has learned for a very sound technician and is a hungry man.

Skuta really has some intensity and really brings it. I see him contributing big time. Also Wilhoite will be a star.

I feel Brooks will pick up where he left off. He was getting better every game and he'll double his sack total.

Reid will also take another huge leap.

The only thing that will hold Patton back is the play calling.

Boone will continue to improve and get more praise around the league.

Look for Moody to wreak havoc on ST.

I'm looking for Baalke to build up the DB in both S & CB positions in the draft.

Also, WR needs to be fixed in the draft.

Thanks...and I didn't even think of ST coverage...good call on Moody!
Vinny MaC!!! dude when ever he got the ball he looked upfield and looked to mash. When he gets the "blocking" aspect down he can get more touches.
Originally posted by Zachary:
Patton = Josh Gordon

Not as fast...but we all can dream
[ Edited by Bobbi9698 on Feb 12, 2014 at 5:41 PM ]
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
My money is on Chris Culliver.

I understand that he had an awful Superbowl and it's unforgivable to some on this board, but the guy is young, big, athletic, and has tons of confidence.

His stock is up, in my opinion.

he has become a victim of having his worst day at the absolute worst time. he had a very good season aside from that, he does need to get better at locating the ball in the air but aside from that he is a very good prospect.
Share 49ersWebzone