LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 322 users in the forums

Rising Players

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by DeUh:
@Eric_Branch Future headline: #49ers RB Jewel Hampton sets preseason record with 279 carries.

LOL!

That was a good one
Originally posted by DeUh:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Now I can go back and chose Jewel Hampton

@Eric_Branch Future headline: #49ers RB Jewel Hampton sets preseason record with 279 carries.

He's going to add to that now. Lol
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
With his great speed and one extra year of his experience, would anyone be disappointed if Darryl Morris beat out Jimmy Ward?

Yes
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WINiner:
With his great speed and one extra year of his experience, would anyone be disappointed if Darryl Morris beat out Jimmy Ward?

No. Matter of fact that would own because I think a lot of Ward and if Morris beats him out then we are deep.

I doubt it as he's running with the #3's right now. It's expected that our #1 draft pick, Ward will win and earn the job and Cox has a ton of experience there but Morris has played very well during OTA's. So the depth at the nickle/slot is outstanding and both Cox and Morris add significant ST abilities as well. That said, don't be surprised if Morris pushes Cox for the #2.

I won't be disappointed or surprised, but at this stage, it seems like the coaches are giving Ward every opportunity to make a statement and so far he's responding well.

I agree with NC about #2 spot... I'd prefer that he be back up to Ward so he can also focus killing it on ST where his speed is greatly appreciated.

Ward and Morris will command that position. Whichever one is the back up will be fine with me, (IMHO) I don't think we'll miss a beat when the back up steps in.....
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by WINiner:

No. Matter of fact that would own because I think a lot of Ward and if Morris beats him out then we are deep.

I doubt it as he's running with the #3's right now. It's expected that our #1 draft pick, Ward will win and earn the job and Cox has a ton of experience there but Morris has played very well during OTA's. So the depth at the nickle/slot is outstanding and both Cox and Morris add significant ST abilities as well. That said, don't be surprised if Morris pushes Cox for the #2.

I won't be disappointed or surprised, but at this stage, it seems like the coaches are giving Ward every opportunity to make a statement and so far he's responding well.

I agree with NC about #2 spot... I'd prefer that he be back up to Ward so he can also focus killing it on ST where his speed is greatly appreciated.

Ward and Morris will command that position. Whichever one is the back up will be fine with me, (IMHO) I don't think we'll miss a beat when the back up steps in.....

Agreed, Ward already looks like a ball hawk back there in just a few days of TC with pads. He's working into the S position as well. It sounds like based on what Fangio said, the value of Cox is that he can play the slot AND the outside as well. Some of the young backup S's are making plays as well. Johnson is playing well, Cook clearly knows his weakness and has been working on it while learning our off coverage and press schemes. Good reports on Acker as well. Man, with Brock and Culliver good to go, the battles behind these two plus Ward in the slot is epic and they are all looking very good.

I want to watch Morris' coverage and tackling skills. I want to see how both Dontae and Cook look in games...see if either DJ Campbell or LJ McCray can add REAL S backup help (and upside) while also adding to the return or coverage units. So far so good on all fronts.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Agreed, Ward already looks like a ball hawk back there in just a few days of TC with pads. He's working into the S position as well. It sounds like based on what Fangio said, the value of Cox is that he can play the slot AND the outside as well. Some of the young backup S's are making plays as well. Johnson is playing well, Cook clearly knows his weakness and has been working on it while learning our off coverage and press schemes. Good reports on Acker as well. Man, with Brock and Culliver good to go, the battles behind these two plus Ward in the slot is epic and they are all looking very good.

I want to watch Morris' coverage and tackling skills. I want to see how both Dontae and Cook look in games...see if either DJ Campbell or LJ McCray can add REAL S backup help (and upside) while also adding to the return or coverage units. So far so good on all fronts.

Yup yup, the starters (Brock, Cully, Reid, Bethea and Ward) sounds real good and maybe pro bowl caliber all around... we'll see. The "battles" aren't just between mere scrubs, they can round up to be real good and possibly starters if on another team. If that comes to fruition, we'll be talented and deep in that area like D-line is crowded. Hope it turns out that way.

Yup yup, the starters (Brock, Cully, Reid, Bethea and Ward) sounds real good and maybe pro bowl caliber all around... we'll see. The "battles" aren't just between mere scrubs, they can round up to be real good and possibly starters if on another team. If that comes to fruition, we'll be talented and deep in that area like D-line is crowded. Hope it turns out that way.

Me too!
Alright, I'll edit as we go but who are your early picks of players that may make a huge jump next season and why (whether that's from an injury to strong contributions on the field or PS player or red-shirted rookie to key role player or starter). How about some other young gun surprises? This thread is about rising players for US even if they are just a crucial "role player" for us b/c as you know, every Superbowl team has to have a number of these guys. It could even include players who push and win starting roles that came out of nowhere (ala Brown a few years ago).

Examples in the recent past were Boone and Williams (both PS players) and Brock and Wilhoite and Skuta (some UDFA's).

My original dark-horses where as follows: Two dark-horse guys I'm keeping a close eye on are OT Luke Marquardt (placed on I.R. again) b/c we need a real swing T and he's described, "He's 6-8, 315 pounds with nary an ounce of fat" and RB Jewel Hampton (obviously Hyde erasing his chances here) who had a great pre season and is hungry (he'll surprise b/c of all the talk about Gore, Lattimore, Hunter and James). He seemed to have some Gore in him but also has the speed to get outside. Another guy on the cusp that may surprise people is DE Lawrence Okoye with a year of training under his belt under Tomsula coaching him up.

Updates: Given the additions via FA and the Draft, I will reassess to the following. I have to be honest, in the past, I had a good eye for some surprise players but this year, it's very difficult given the known starters and depth behind them. So I'll go with some long-shots in Ian Williams, Darryl Morris, L.J. McCray, Lawrence Okoye, Quinton Dial & Derek Carrier. First, Williams was the forgotten man but he clearly won the starting NT job and was slashing through gaps while being strong enough and stout enough to hold the point. He'll regain form and be even stronger/quicker and will stand out on film. Morris is my Cooper this year. While he may not have a ton of opportunities with Ward playing Nickle/Slot, when he gets on the field in the slot, you are going to see lightning out there helping to shut down Harvin and Austin and all the other electric slot WR's. Reports are he looks bigger and stronger and even faster which is scary. He's also returning kicks as well which is ideal plus he's already our best gunner on coverage units. McCray. Who? This kid is not only going to make the 53 as a backup S but as a dynamic returner. Keep an eye out for this guy. Okoye and Dial. Okoye will have come miles from last year and is going to surprise many (longest shot though IMHO) and Dial can now play NT and DE which is critical in our front 3 and in making the 53. Carrier is going to become that H-back we've missed since Walker left and is going to surprise quite a few in here.

Other guys I expect to now become "starters" or key "role players:"
CB Culliver to win the opposite spot opposite of Brock.
CB Cook is going to push Culliver VERY hard as is the rookie D. Johnson.
CB Morris is going to win and earn that slot-CB position to start the year over Ward.
NT Williams is one determined dude and don't be surprised if he pushed Dorsey hard for the starting spot again (and wins it). Health is the concern.
NT/DE Dial should also push for a significant rotational job this year at both DE and NT but don't count out TJE either.
OLB Lemonier is a guy who got used less and less but I have a feeling he'll earn a spot in a more serious rotation with Brooks/Aldon-Skuta
OLB Skuta played great last year and was ahead of Lemonier and now if Aldon is suspended, he'll get extended time.
C Kilgore is primed and ready and experienced but Martin could be the future.
G Looney (don't count him out at C either) but with Boone's holdout, he could surprise many here. Watch out for Seymour as well.
DE Carradine is healthy and ready to play and should start to split time with Justin/McDonald on a serious basis.
RB Lattimore (Harbaugh was already prepping fans for this move right after the NFCCG) but Hyde may be the future.
TE Carrier is intriguing and I would not be surprised to see him used more in the more traditional "Walker role" on certain sets.

PS: Last year I had some guys named in Hampton, Cooper, Morris...some others like Williams, Kilgore and FB Jason Schepler.

Kinda of stoked reading through my list again here. On point with the mass majority. I'd edit a few but this is great news for us going forward.
Kinda of stoked reading through my list again here. On point with the mass majority. I'd edit a few but this is great news for us going forward.

Equally stoked here. I didn't think it was possible in the Free Agency era to have a deeper squad than our 2012 team, but this year's team is waaaay deeper. That's a crazy thought. Can't wait to see this team play, we're going to be damn good.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Equally stoked here. I didn't think it was possible in the Free Agency era to have a deeper squad than our 2012 team, but this year's team is waaaay deeper. That's a crazy thought. Can't wait to see this team play, we're going to be damn good.

Maybe if the Cawks weren't in our division we wouldn't have to stock up so deep... with the way they cheat/play, we'll be down to a depleted bench if we gotta see them 3 times a year

Maybe if the Cawks weren't in our division we wouldn't have to stock up so deep... with the way they cheat/play, we'll be down to a depleted bench if we gotta see them 3 times a year

I actually think it's a positive. Every team needs a nemesis to get the best out of them. It makes most other games seem like a cake walk.

As much as it sucked seeing Seattle beat us and end our season, we're just as big a threat to them. There will come a day when we return the favor.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
I actually think it's a positive. Every team needs a nemesis to get the best out of them. It makes most other games seem like a cake walk.

As much as it sucked seeing Seattle beat us and end our season, we're just as big a threat to them. There will come a day when we return the favor.

like every superhero has a villain (nemesis)... "pay back is a mofo" coming soon

For sure. I just pray our offensive and defensive philosophy has caught up to the quantity and quality of the talent we now have on the roster. We now have the ability to spread teams out with multiple WR's including epic depth and skills at the Y spot ans depth at the X & Z, 2 TE's, Carrier (H-Back), the RB's plus Miller, etc. And on defense, we can now play press coverage and even run blitzes off these, can blitz the MLB's, can play single-high S with Reid and allow Bethea to play downhill which is his strength. We can rush the heck out of our OLB's b/c we have proven depth behind them and a healthy and deep DL. So to me, Baalke has put THE best roster in the NFL together. Now it's on Harbaugh and company to utilize the deep and diverse talent we have and bring home #6. That's my biggest ?-mark!
I agree with pretty much everything the OP says. Seems like a lot of people are handing the #2 back/future feature back role to Hyde which isn't inaccurate in my book. However, I'm still very excited for Lattimore. Not concerned about the fact he's on NFI right now, that injury was awful, the 49ers are rightfully so, taking their time w/him, he'll get activated soon and I still believe the team plans/hopes for when Gore's gone is a 1-2 punch of Hyde/Lattimore.
Originally posted by matt49er:
I agree with pretty much everything the OP says. Seems like a lot of people are handing the #2 back/future feature back role to Hyde which isn't inaccurate in my book. However, I'm still very excited for Lattimore. Not concerned about the fact he's on NFI right now, that injury was awful, the 49ers are rightfully so, taking their time w/him, he'll get activated soon and I still believe the team plans/hopes for when Gore's gone is a 1-2 punch of Hyde/Lattimore.

Great post and even better optimism! We also forget that there is absolutely NO rush with Lattimore. We are a one-back offense with a few spells per game for the backup anyhow. That backup will rotate between Hyde and James when healthy. The "other" RB that we use the 2nd most on this team is actually the FB, Bruce Miller. So take your time Lattimore. When healthy, we can slowly work you in as a 3rd down back and continue to increase your role along with Hyde for Gore.
Share 49ersWebzone