There are 148 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Greatest Non-Candlestick Park Games

It may not be considered a classic game, but beating Green Bay for the 2012 season opener was huge. I still think the NFL was trying to show us up by scheduling us to play them on the road and we beat them handily. The 30-22 score doesn't really do the game justice.

Beating New England in December during the 2012 season as well. No one had beaten New England in December in New England in years. I think I recall them mentioning Tom Brady has like a 15-1 record there or something during some time stretch. It made me smile to know who that one team was.
Originally posted by socalniner:
Nah that was mnf at the stick. This was the NFCCG in soldier field where it was supposed to be too cold for us west coast pansies to play

1988 NFC Title Game

10-6 49ers: 28
12-4 Bears: 3



Bears were 52-11 in the previous 4 seasons
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Other than the 5 Super Bowls, this is probably the biggest win in non candlestick games for the Niners. It was in the playoffs and at GB. Somewhere that every team in the league has problems winning, especially in the playoffs, and especially us.

If we are talking Road Playoff Wins

2013
Wild Card @ Packers
Divisional Round @ Panthers

2012
NFC Title Game @ Falcons

1988
NFC Title Game @ Bears

1970
Divisional Round @ Vikings


'88 is a no brainer. But I'd also put 2012 in the Georgia Dome over the Packers victory. We hadn't been to the Super Bowl for 19 years and it took a big comeback & goal line stand to win. How many posters on here don't even remember 1994?
From a bittersweet standpoint, Wk 17 in Chicago dropping a 50 burger for our 6th straight win on the playoff bound Bears. NO ONE wanted us to get in, that team was possessed. We finish 3rd in the West and stay home for the playoffs.
I'm recalling my mindset going into 2011. That Eagles game was pretty cool. We hadn't won any meaningful games since 2002. A 24 -23 comeback win at PHILLY in week 5 (?) felt like a playoff game to me. Then in a few weeks, Handshake Bowl at Detroit was when I knew WE WE'RE BACK!

We've had bigger road wins that have meant more but for fans that experienced 2003 - 2010...these games were sweet.
Originally posted by jbeale49:
From a bittersweet standpoint, Wk 17 in Chicago dropping a 50 burger for our 6th straight win on the playoff bound Bears. NO ONE wanted us to get in, that team was possessed. We finish 3rd in the West and stay home for the playoffs.

This was in 1991 and was played at candlestick....don griffin with the pick 6 to make it a laugher
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
This was in 1991 and was played at candlestick....don griffin with the pick 6 to make it a laugher

1. Harbaugh was QBing the Bears.
2. It got so ugly, even Bill Musgrave scored a TD.
1989 had two of my all-time favorite road games. In Philly, the Eagles were just beating up on the Niners for most of the game, the crowd was going wild and it was a great party for Eagles fans. And then, Montana threw 4 TD's in the 4th quarter and the Niners all of a sudden just ran away with the game.

But the best road game of that season was in LA. The Rams were way ahead going into half time and Georgia Fontierie actually came down to the Rams sidelines and started partying with the Rams BEFORE HALFTIME! The TV cameras showed Lott just staring across the field with this look of disgust on his face. The Niners came back from way down in the second half and ended up winning 30-27. In the second half, Taylor took a short slant pass 95 yards for a TD and then he came back a couple of sets of downs later and did exactly the same thing - two slant passes for over 90 yards in the same half.
Originally posted by jbeale49:
From a bittersweet standpoint, Wk 17 in Chicago dropping a 50 burger for our 6th straight win on the playoff bound Bears. NO ONE wanted us to get in, that team was possessed. We finish 3rd in the West and stay home for the playoffs.

I thought that was a home game?
Originally posted by jbeale49:
I'm recalling my mindset going into 2011. That Eagles game was pretty cool. We hadn't won any meaningful games since 2002. A 24 -23 comeback win at PHILLY in week 5 (?) felt like a playoff game to me. Then in a few weeks, Handshake Bowl at Detroit was when I knew WE WE'RE BACK!

We've had bigger road wins that have meant more but for fans that experienced 2003 - 2010...these games were sweet.

I'll admit, that Eagles game was big. It took me until the Tampa game to believe though.
2011 49ers @ lions. not really a classic, kinda a forgotten game but this is what told people we were for real
Originally posted by Touchdownboy1980:
Originally posted by socalniner:
Nah that was mnf at the stick. This was the NFCCG in soldier field where it was supposed to be too cold for us west coast pansies to play

1988 NFC Title Game

10-6 49ers: 28
12-4 Bears: 3



Bears were 52-11 in the previous 4 seasons

Boom! Still my favorite 49er game that wasn't a Super Bowl win. It was such a thorough and satisfying arse kicking.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by jbeale49:
I'm recalling my mindset going into 2011. That Eagles game was pretty cool. We hadn't won any meaningful games since 2002. A 24 -23 comeback win at PHILLY in week 5 (?) felt like a playoff game to me. Then in a few weeks, Handshake Bowl at Detroit was when I knew WE WE'RE BACK!

We've had bigger road wins that have meant more but for fans that experienced 2003 - 2010...these games were sweet.

I'll admit, that Eagles game was big. It took me until the Tampa game to believe though.

I was at this game, had great seats. I live in DE, close to Philly, been to many Eagles games, there fans are absolute dicks and usually, if you wear the opposing team colors, you are in trouble, this game, that comeback demoralized their fanbase so bad that I was actually getting pats on the back and people were telling me good game. They literally hung their heads and were ashamed, I remember telling my wife, this game sucks I wish I could just leave but I paid too much money for these seats at halftime, then boom! The game winning drive then the Justin Smith strip of Maclin (who he caught from behind were a thing of beauty).
Originally posted by matt49er:
I was at this game, had great seats. I live in DE, close to Philly, been to many Eagles games, there fans are absolute dicks and usually, if you wear the opposing team colors, you are in trouble, this game, that comeback demoralized their fanbase so bad that I was actually getting pats on the back and people were telling me good game. They literally hung their heads and were ashamed, I remember telling my wife, this game sucks I wish I could just leave but I paid too much money for these seats at halftime, then boom! The game winning drive then the Justin Smith strip of Maclin (who he caught from behind were a thing of beauty).

Amazing experience!