LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 281 users in the forums

Who would you resign Crabtree or Iupati ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who would you resign Crabtree or Iupati ?

Originally posted by Empire49:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Lets see, lots of depth to guard, and we can't seem to get a decent WR in the draft….If I have to chose it is not even a question, Crabtree. Even though Iupati is once in a decade kind of player, I think we can live with out him. He is a great pass blocker and one of the best power run blockers I've ever seen. He complements Frank Gore perfectly, but Frank does not have a long a career in front of him. With our speedy back field , we need a pulling guard, a more athletic guard who can seal the edge, trap, and kick out. If Latimore is a slashing cut back runner with speed to find the edge, then Frank and Iupati could both go in a cap saving move, and we will be fine, if not more dynamic on offense.

Two things:

1. Iupati is most certainly not a great pass blocker. He is a liability in pass protection.

2. Speedy backfield? Really? LaMichael James is the only speedy RB on the roster and we NEVER use him. Gore has never been speedy. Dixon isn't even close to being speedy. Hunter is quick, but far from FAST. And Lattimore is not a speed back, either. Kap is the only fast runner we use.

There is no speedy backfield.

Yes, speedy backfield, we have two players who can press the edge in the running game. Hunter, and LMJ are speedy, not blazing fast, not lighting quick, but speedy to be sure, both able to turn the corner with the right blocking. I think our run game suffers from slow guards, our guards never seem to kick out or seal the edge the few times we even attempt to run outside.
Harbaugh has talked about having a "home run hitting" run game, guys who can score from anywhere on the field, that's not Frank Gore. Frank is at the end of his career, and big slow power blockers may not be in Harbaugh plans. I haven't really seen if Latimore, or Hampton can press the edge. I think Davis and Iupati are tremendous power run blockers, but could be replaced by Loony, and Boone. I am thinking of a line that looks like, Staley, Snyder, Kilgore, Looney, and Boone. Snyder being the weak link, and possibly the back up to a rookie, or current practice squad player would take his spot.
Not worried about pass blocking improving, or dropping off. More picks, rubs, and three step drop slants, and outs to our big bodied, RAC focused receivers. Lat os of lateral stretch and toss plays out of the backfield, and a running QB will wear down most any defense. Get me one long striding WR in the draft, and true fullback who can run, and catch, and I would be confident in having a top 10 offense, to put on the field with our top 10 defense.
Lets see, lots of depth to guard, and we can't seem to get a decent WR in the draft….If I have to chose it is not even a question, Crabtree. Even though Iupati is once in a decade kind of player, I think we can live with out him. He is a great pass blocker and one of the best power run blockers I've ever seen. He complements Frank Gore perfectly, but Frank does not have a long a career in front of him. With our speedy back field , we need a pulling guard, a more athletic guard who can seal the edge, trap, and kick out. If Latimore is a slashing cut back runner with speed to find the edge, then Frank and Iupati could both go in a cap saving move, and we will be fine, if not more dynamic on offense.

Two things:

1. Iupati is most certainly not a great pass blocker. He is a liability in pass protection.

2. Speedy backfield? Really? LaMichael James is the only speedy RB on the roster and we NEVER use him. Gore has never been speedy. Dixon isn't even close to being speedy. Hunter is quick, but far from FAST. And Lattimore is not a speed back, either. Kap is the only fast runner we use.

Yes, speedy backfield, we have two players who can press the edge in the running game. Hunter, and LMJ are speedy, not blazing fast, not lighting quick, but speedy to be sure, both able to turn the corner with the right blocking. I think our run game suffers from slow guards, our guards never seem to kick out or seal the edge the few times we even attempt to run outside.
Harbaugh has talked about having a "home run hitting" run game, guys who can score from anywhere on the field, that's not Frank Gore. Frank is at the end of his career, and big slow power blockers may not be in Harbaugh plans. I haven't really seen if Latimore, or Hampton can press the edge. I think Davis and Iupati are tremendous power run blockers, but could be replaced by Loony, and Boone. I am thinking of a line that looks like, Staley, Snyder, Kilgore, Looney, and Boone. Snyder being the weak link, and possibly the back up to a rookie, or current practice squad player would take his spot.
Not worried about pass blocking improving, or dropping off. More picks, rubs, and three step drop slants, and outs to our big bodied, RAC focused receivers. Lat os of lateral stretch and toss plays out of the backfield, and a running QB will wear down most any defense. Get me one long striding WR in the draft, and true fullback who can run, and catch, and I would be confident in having a top 10 offense, to put on the field with our top 10 defense.

They play want some more athletic lineman, but Davis is here to stay. He is under contract for the longest (signed through 2020 I believe).
No question, Crabs.
Crabs without a question!
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I'm willing to let them both walk in order to have more cap room to re-sign Kaepernick and Aldon Smith. And how about giving Alex Boone an extension, he can at least play LT and OG.
Originally posted by NJNiner:
No question, Crabs.

agreed

Two things:

James is the only speedy back we have, man. Hunter is quick, but lacks top end speed. The others aren't even worth mentioning in the speed department.

Like I said, we don't have a speedy backfield. We have one speedy back, whom we NEVER use.
No competition....its crabtree. He makes the offense that much better. Iupati is a good mauler but struggles in pass pro and it is easier to find replacements at guard, good WRs are hard to come by
Not even a question, Iupati is the one I would be open to letting go. He has heavy feet in pass protection that really pisses me off on Sundays.
[ Edited by RumorHasIt on Feb 13, 2014 at 11:06 PM ]
Originally posted by sanjose49erfan:
Who is better at their own position? iupati! Look at the tape! The offense stalled when Iupati was hurt! crabtree what did he do????????? crabtree held out to sign a better rookie contract if people don't know! I just can't wait to see When Baalke re-signs Iupati over Crabtree! maybe Crabtree signs for less to resign Crabtree! People Just don't know how much Iupati loves the area and the team. crabtree cares about the business! WR is a sexy position that is why the 49ers will draft 2 wrs in this draft!

outrageous! This is easy, don't try to complicate something so easy. CRABTREE!! Are you kidding me? I love Iupati so if you're question was "Who loves the area and team more,?" perhaps you have a case. However, if predicated around need and functional value for the Team....its obviously Crabtree.

Originally posted by SaksV:
Originally posted by sanjose49erfan:
I personally would re-sign Iupati over Crabtree. My reasons Iupati is a pro bowler a few times? what does that mean? he is best at his position. crabtree might be the best Wr on the 49ers but is not so important as Iupati.When Iupati got hurt in the 1st have of the championship game the 9er's running game stalled due to the his injury. Crabtree is Not on the top 10 WR in the nfl! Kaepernick targets him all the time, does that make him the great? No! I would not want to see crabtree go but if I had to choose I would pick Iupati. The 49ers are a power run team ! Crabtree is a position WR ! keeping it real! when has he caught 80 passes? I would draft WRs and team him with Bolden.

Being a Pro-Bowler does not indicate that a person is the best at their position...simply the most popular at the time.

Crabtree being the best WR on the 49ers is not something to be taken lightly considering he (and recently Boldin) has been the best WR the 49ers have had in TWELVE YEARS....

When Iupati was hurt in the 1st half, our running game stalled? Nah, our running game outside of Kap was pretty much non-existent since Week 16.
Did you see what happened to our TOTAL offensive production when Crabtree was injured for 3/4ths of the regular season?

When he's healthy, I think a good case could be made that Crabtree IS indeed Top 10 or at least Top 15 in the entire league. If you study WRs like I do, you'll see what I mean. Dick Sherman & Co. like to act like he's not a threat but go back and watch our games against them, they double cover Crabs 90% of the time. That says volumes. Crabtree isn't a guy you can just replace. He's a rare, rare, rare talent who is still getting better.

When was the last time Crabtree caught 80 passes? 2012. Yet you want to draft a WR and re-sign/keep Boldin who is almost 10 years older than Crabs? I see.......

Iupati more valuable than Crabtree? No way. Never.

Excellent post.
Iupati sucks in pass protection. Resign crabs all the way.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Crabs
Definitely Crabs BUTTTT

His injury history is cause for real concern.

He deserves a big deal but as we all know injuries start to add up more as you get older.
what the both...
Share 49ersWebzone