LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 251 users in the forums

Who would you resign Crabtree or Iupati ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who would you resign Crabtree or Iupati ?

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
OP gets the dunce cap for the day, i hope this thread is just a random act of trolling.

off season
Both have major weaknesses in their games so it makes it tough. Crabtree is still coming off the injury, isn't the best at playing off press at the LOS and isn't the greatest at adjusting to balls in the air, high-pointing the ball and always using his bigger body and he certainly does not have top-end speed; I think he also puts a lot of pressure on CK to get him the ball in critical moments. He is excellent in space, RAC, has great, reliable hands and works hard and always wants the ball...he's also good at all the ad lib plays and has good chemistry with CK. He's an above-average WR and very important to this offense to even function on an average level IMHO.

Iupati is a warrior and is our "pulling guard." If you're a defensive player, just follow him and Miller and you'll find the ball every time which is why it's surprising we have any success at all. He's an above average pulling guard and straight-ahead power blocker but is below average in pass protection and seems to make many mental errors in blocking schemes. He too has also had lots of nagging injuries and certainly doesn't play well with them.

Nothing we do in route running concepts or run or pass blocking assignments is exotic or difficult.

But at the end of the day, who is more important to OUR offensive scheme (assuming both want to be here). Tough call...

We do have Looney and Kilgore and Snyder who can play guard and that is before FA and the draft. One could even switch Boone and Davis for different alignments. And nobody is going to be able to block against 8-10 man fronts so does it matter if it's Iupati or Looney in there?

At this point, I'd say Crabtree holds the edge b/c we have nobody behind him and let's be honest, this coaching staff only trusts Boldin and Crabtree (and a little, Patton). That's it. Hell, they basically moved VD to WR as well. And this coaching staff certainly isn't going to develop a WR behind them let alone throw more than one bone a game to them. So look to a "polished" WR in the draft or another seasoned veteran like Boldin if the coaching staff parts ways with Crabtree and reups Iupati instead.
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 12, 2014 at 8:24 AM ]
Both
Good as Iupati is, it's easier to replace OG's than a top-tier WR. It's why Baalke's been drafting very good OL over the years...so when you reach a situation like Iupati's, you're prepared for it. A key figure in the C/OG mix is Joe Looney...although Niner fans haven't seen that much of him, he's a beast, and a smart one at that. I remember when Harbagh and Baalke interviewed him at the combine a couple of years ago...both were very impressed with his intelligence, a prerequisite for playing the C position. If he doesn't replace Goodwin, he'd be the guy to replace Iupati. I really don't see the OL missing a beat if that happens.

Guys like Crabtree just don't come along that often...he's definitely in his prime now, and it's no secret he and Kap have outstanding chemistry. It's very hard to replace that...so, for me, you pay a skill position player over an OL, particularly an OG. Besides Looney, Kilgore, Ryan Seymour and Snyder can all play C & OG. Seymour may not have played C in the NFL yet, but he played all OL positions in college. Crabtree would be very hard to replace, so he gets the big payday.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Lets see, lots of depth to guard, and we can't seem to get a decent WR in the draft….If I have to chose it is not even a question, Crabtree. Even though Iupati is once in a decade kind of player, I think we can live with out him. He is a great pass blocker and one of the best power run blockers I've ever seen. He complements Frank Gore perfectly, but Frank does not have a long a career in front of him. With our speedy back field , we need a pulling guard, a more athletic guard who can seal the edge, trap, and kick out. If Latimore is a slashing cut back runner with speed to find the edge, then Frank and Iupati could both go in a cap saving move, and we will be fine, if not more dynamic on offense.

Two things:

1. Iupati is most certainly not a great pass blocker. He is a liability in pass protection.

2. Speedy backfield? Really? LaMichael James is the only speedy RB on the roster and we NEVER use him. Gore has never been speedy. Dixon isn't even close to being speedy. Hunter is quick, but far from FAST. And Lattimore is not a speed back, either. Kap is the only fast runner we use.

There is no speedy backfield.
Originally posted by SFrush:
We may not extend either of them.

Crabtree's agent is a pain in the neck. He's going to want Baalke to pay Crabtree like he's an elite Wr and he's not. Plus that ridiculous contract Percy Harvin received didn't help matters.

In the games Crabtree has played healthy and WITH KAP AT QB (2nd half of 2012 and the playoffs that year), Crabtree put up top 5 numbers and was virtually unstoppable. He may not have done it long enough for people to consider him elite, but he certainly proved he can be.
Originally posted by Empire49:
Lets see, lots of depth to guard, and we can't seem to get a decent WR in the draft….If I have to chose it is not even a question, Crabtree. Even though Iupati is once in a decade kind of player, I think we can live with out him. He is a great pass blocker and one of the best power run blockers I've ever seen. He complements Frank Gore perfectly, but Frank does not have a long a career in front of him. With our speedy back field , we need a pulling guard, a more athletic guard who can seal the edge, trap, and kick out. If Latimore is a slashing cut back runner with speed to find the edge, then Frank and Iupati could both go in a cap saving move, and we will be fine, if not more dynamic on offense.

Two things:

1. Iupati is most certainly not a great pass blocker. He is a liability in pass protection.

2. Speedy backfield? Really? LaMichael James is the only speedy RB on the roster and we NEVER use him. Gore has never been speedy. Dixon isn't even close to being speedy. Hunter is quick, but far from FAST. And Lattimore is not a speed back, either. Kap is the only fast runner we use.

Sadly it's just not the backfield it's basically the whole team. No speed at RB,WR,or CB. Only one safety with speed.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by Empire49:

Two things:

Sadly it's just not the backfield it's basically the whole team. No speed at RB,WR,or CB. Only one safety with speed.

And a TE.
There both good players but I doubt the 9ers will want to pay for either of them.
This is a hard one. But I'd have to go with Crabs.

Originally posted by Allx9er:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
OP gets the dunce cap for the day, i hope this thread is just a random act of trolling.

off season

It is refreshing tto see hat over 90% of the people taking the poll understands the offense sputter more with Crabtree out than when Iupati is out.
Crabs
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tjd808185:
I believe Boone's contract expires the following season. To me it depends on whether or not we can lock up Boone long term for a reasonable price. If we can get an extension with him I'd focus on Crabtree otherwise I'm going with Iupati.

You're right, Boone isn't an FA for another 2 years BUT we don't deal with extensions until the year prior to their potential exposure to the market. Meaning we will have already lost Iupati or resigned him long before we even look at Boone's situation.
Crabtree no doubt
This poll turned out pretty much as expected.
Share 49ersWebzone