There are 165 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Who would you resign Crabtree or Iupati ?

Who would you resign Crabtree or Iupati ?

Originally posted by SaksV:
He played nearly 3 quarters in the Carolina game when Iupati was injured and Boone had to slide over to play for an injured Joe Staley.
He played pretty well IMO and I can recall a few of his teammates giving him positive reviews after the game. As usual though, our coaching staff in general prefers veterans over younger players, so we saw Looney get benched in favor of Adam Snyder as soon as the opportunity rose.

That should scare every 49er fan.
Right now: Crabtree

Draft a couple of high WR picks and my answer might change
If this draft produces a top flight wideout and Patton and McDonald step up Crabtree's will have less leverage. Someone will pay Iupati, I don't think it will be the 49ers. Injuries are such a factor, if a team puts up decent money a player should sign. It's not worth the risk.
Crabs

not even close
We all saw what our offense looked like without Crabtree on the field earlier in the year and the immediate impact we got when he returned. Crabtree and it's not even close.

Also, comparing how they rank according to their position is such a flimsy argument. WR > Guard. Period. It's much easier to replace a guard than it is to replace the team's best WR who happens to have an incredible rapport with the QB. Crabtree must be resigned.
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
We all saw what our offense looked like without Crabtree on the field earlier in the year and the immediate impact we got when he returned. Crabtree and it's not even close.

Also, comparing how they rank according to their position is such a flimsy argument. WR > Guard. Period. It's much easier to replace a guard than it is to replace the team's best WR who happens to have an incredible rapport with the QB. Crabtree must be resigned.

Ultimately, I think Crabtree leaves as well. He will demand top WR money and he's simply not as good as he thinks. I rather ride out Boldin for a couple more years at a fraction of the price while drafting a few WRs in the draft.

If we want to be a NFC contender for 10+ years, guys like Crabtree will come and go.
We may not extend either of them.

Crabtree's agent is a pain in the neck. He's going to want Baalke to pay Crabtree like he's an elite Wr and he's not. Plus that ridiculous contract Percy Harvin received didn't help matters.
wow. two first round picks. both solid. i guess when it comes down to it, which position is the biggest need at? Crab has been hurt a lot in his first few years, but when healthy Is a stud. Iupati is a beast. Falls asleep at the wheel sometimes but when he's out holy crap the difference is night & day.

They both will be resigned. Crab needs to stay healthy. I can see him having more of an incentive based contract
There is no way we can keep Iupati. Top class LG's make a lot in FA. Joe Looney will be ready to slide in as a replacement.

Here's the thing with Crabtree though.

He's about to negotiate his 2nd pro contract, which will be the meatiest of his career. Translation: he won't be cheap enough. I'm sure Baalke would love to re-sign Crabtree, but at the right price. I can't see Baalke giving him DeSean Jackson money,http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/desean-jackson/, but if Crabtree wants no less, I'd let him go.

Signing Aldon Smith and Kaepernick to long term deals takes precedent over re-signing Crabtree, so I guess potentially neither.
1 wide receiver can make a difference.. one OL not so much... we have great players and if i had to chose between the two, I would keep Crabtree.. we can draft another big fat boy in the draft
Crabtree would be tougher to replace. But who knows if Baalke will pay Crabtree. That's very up in the air.

It's definitely not out of the question that we let both walk. Kaep and Aldon are really the only two we absolutely can't afford to lose.
Crabtree is way more important to the team than Iupati, who played like s**t most of the year. Our online was terrible in pass blocking and average at best in run blocking. Totally overrated by the media this past year.
OP gets the dunce cap for the day, i hope this thread is just a random act of trolling.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by SaksV:
He played nearly 3 quarters in the Carolina game when Iupati was injured and Boone had to slide over to play for an injured Joe Staley.
He played pretty well IMO and I can recall a few of his teammates giving him positive reviews after the game. As usual though, our coaching staff in general prefers veterans over younger players, so we saw Looney get benched in favor of Adam Snyder as soon as the opportunity rose.

That should scare every 49er fan.
Not if you read the entire sentence in context.
It's easier to replace Iupati than Crabtree, as many have said. If we let Boldin go, then Crabtree becomes the only proven WR...a position that the team has failed to fill for years. OG is a position that is important but not as difficult to fill and the team may have two guys who could take over now in Looney and Kilgore. Snyder is also there but he is a back up at this point.

I hope Patton can be a really good WR but do you really want to count on Patton or a draft pick to be your #1 receiver? Or do you want to sign a different WR in FAcy? If so, who and at what price?

Another reason is that I just don't know how good Iupati is at pass protection and blocking on the move, though he is a super powerful guy.

Edit: Baalke will likely let both go if they are not reasonable at the table. He isn't likely to skew the salary balance with so many guys to sign.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 11, 2014 at 7:40 AM ]