LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 266 users in the forums

Who would you resign Crabtree or Iupati ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who would you resign Crabtree or Iupati ?

Crabs.

I think replacing Iupati would be cheaper and easier. Besides you never take away your QBs top gun.
Originally posted by midrdan:
Crabtree was a much more polished route runner coming out of college then Benjamin is. Benjamin is pretty raw. It takes a couple of years for a WR to learn the route tree and develop timing with the QB. Not to say rookie WRs can't come in and contribute right away, but they are far from finished products their first year. Crabtree is a finished product. For a team built to win right now, you don't replace your best WR with a rookie.

Are you trying to tell me replacing Owens with Rashaun Woods didn't work out?
I believe Boone's contract expires the following season. To me it depends on whether or not we can lock up Boone long term for a reasonable price. If we can get an extension with him I'd focus on Crabtree otherwise I'm going with Iupati.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
What happened to Joe Looney? Did he turn out to just not be that good? Barely heard a word about him in a year.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by btthepunk:
People need to get over his rookie year holdout. That's ancient history now.

I'd pick Crabtree over Iupati ten out of ten times.

So would I but I can't ignore history or my knowledge of the way agents work.

You don't have ignore history, all you have to do is not allow it to dictate your future. The past is a good indicator of future events, but only if you have all the facts on hand. Given the fact he dumped his agent right after the fiasco, I don't think any of us know what really went down post-draft 2009.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Janitor:
What happened to Joe Looney? Did he turn out to just not be that good? Barely heard a word about him in a year.

He played nearly 3 quarters in the Carolina game when Iupati was injured and Boone had to slide over to play for an injured Joe Staley.
He played pretty well IMO and I can recall a few of his teammates giving him positive reviews after the game. As usual though, our coaching staff in general prefers veterans over younger players, so we saw Looney get benched in favor of Adam Snyder as soon as the opportunity rose.
We have a backup to Iupati (Looney) who did well in his absence. We don't even have anyone to play WITH Crab right now (Q basically off the roster for now). Iupati may be better in his position, but his postition is easier for us to replace.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by SaksV:
Originally posted by Janitor:

He played nearly 3 quarters in the Carolina game when Iupati was injured and Boone had to slide over to play for an injured Joe Staley.
He played pretty well IMO and I can recall a few of his teammates giving him positive reviews after the game. As usual though, our coaching staff in general prefers veterans over younger players, so we saw Looney get benched in favor of Adam Snyder as soon as the opportunity rose.

Lets see, lots of depth to guard, and we can't seem to get a decent WR in the draft….If I have to chose it is not even a question, Crabtree. Even though Iupati is once in a decade kind of player, I think we can live with out him. He is a great pass blocker and one of the best power run blockers I've ever seen. He complements Frank Gore perfectly, but Frank does not have a long a career in front of him. With our speedy back field, we need a pulling guard, a more athletic guard who can seal the edge, trap, and kick out. If Latimore is a slashing cut back runner with speed to find the edge, then Frank and Iupati could both go in a cap saving move, and we will be fine, if not more dynamic on offense.
Originally posted by dj43:
I agree Crabtree has higher value but he has never been a Pro Bowl receiver. Iupati has been an All Pro.

His stats were very identical to that of Julio Jones and Victor Cruz in 2012 and they went to the probowl. His numbers were also much higher than Fitzgerald's were and he went to the probowl.

The probowl is a joke and not for the best of the best. All-Pro is better but still not always for the best players.

Make them stand at a bathroom stall and play swords. The winner gets the extension.
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
Make them stand at a bathroom stall and play swords. The winner gets the extension.

I don't think the winner would need an extension...
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Ohhhh the off season
Crabs. As good as Iupati is, I think it'll be easier to replace him that it will be to replace Crabs.
  • dj43
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
We have a backup to Iupati (Looney) who did well in his absence. We don't even have anyone to play WITH Crab right now (Q basically off the roster for now). Iupati may be better in his position, but his postition is easier for us to replace.

The Crabtree portion aside, I don't accept that premise. Iupati is VERY good. Finding someone to play even close to his healthy level is not going to be easy.

Someone said he is not a good pass protector. I don't accept that premise either. He is one of the best power run blockers in the league - top 2 or 3. He is not as good at pass protection but he is well above average, IMO.

As I said above, he is less valuable to this team than Crabtree right now, particularly in light of the struggles this coaching staff has had developing wide receivers, but replacing him is not going to be easy. Looney may prove to be serviceable but from what I saw of him in limited duty this past season, he does not appear close to Big Mike.
Share 49ersWebzone