LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 246 users in the forums

Free Agency

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I think we can all agree that there is only one thing team we need to beat to win #6. I dont know if many people have talked about it but one thing I think we need to do to give us an edge is be better in free agency. We dont bring in the necessary pieces while the other team brought in impact players to give them an edge. Did you see that pass rush on Manning. Key to their victory. In the 90s we brought in Primetime after failing the beat the boys and won. Then he went to the boys and they won another. Thoughts on our free agency plan if you agree and who you think we should bring in.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by teylo31:
I think we can all agree that there is only one thing team we need to beat to win #6. I dont know if many people have talked about it but one thing I think we need to do to give us an edge is be better in free agency. We dont bring in the necessary pieces while the other team brought in impact players to give them an edge. Did you see that pass rush on Manning. Key to their victory. In the 90s we brought in Primetime after failing the beat the boys and won. Then he went to the boys and they won another. Thoughts on our free agency plan if you agree and who you think we should bring in.
what is it about what the niners do in free agency that you do not understand. they do not sign people on the first day when people are nuts and prices are high, they do not go after flashy guys with big price tags, they wait in the weeds, target a player, afix a price to him and not over pay. this is not the 90's this is the not that type of a franchise and this is not the nfl of those years and why am i wasting my time here?
If you have been following, we have priorities in locking up the core of the team.
Originally posted by cciowa:
what is it about what the niners do in free agency that you do not understand. they do not sign people on the first day when people are nuts and prices are high, they do not go after flashy guys with big price tags, they wait in the weeds, target a player, afix a price to him and not over pay. this is not the 90's this is the not that type of a franchise and this is not the nfl of those years and why am i wasting my time here?

Did you read my post or did you just start typing
Yeah, we won't break the bank for anyone. We let Goldson walk cause he wanted and got $40M+, while we drafted a as good as him FS for way way way less than Goldson got.

We did make a few moves over 1st few days. Minor moves, Dahl, Dorsey, Skuta, Dawson. The Boldin deal was on I believe the day of FA or day before FA started.

Problem is too many teams dont have the cap space to keep their top guys, so the crappy, or less dominant teams add those top players, and pay a ridiculous price tag for them. This years crop is good except QB, as always, so I expect overpaying to begin at 4PM Eastern March 11th. I always enjoy FA opening for the 1st week. I watch NFL Network, always waiting to hear who signed where, and how much. I also hold out hope we do add or keep a key guy, like a Boldin, Dawson, Whitner, etc.. I was excited in March 2013 when we signed Dorsey, cause Sopoaga was old, and Jean Francois got overpaid.

So I am excited to see who goes where, who are idiots and overpay an above average player a $8M a year deal. Want to see the market for guys like Dixon, Wright, Cox, Brown, Goodwin, etc... I don't rule out a signing, but don't hold your breath on a big name signing. I have said for months, and years even, that you dont build thru FA, you build via the Draft. Also we dont overpay anyone. So I hope we retain Dawson, Whit, and Boldin, plus extend some guys, I read on CSNBayArea that some things may not happen, like restructuring deals. I hope he means guys with long term deals. We need to think about extending Vernon, maybe McDonald, Willis. 2016 offseason is bad also, as if 2015. We got Justin Smith(Who knows if he is around then, he may retire), McDonald, Vernon all UFAs.

Here's something I put together for the future free agents.

Don't take the Should or Will be seriously, It was my feelings, like Whitner should be retained, not saying the team feels the same, or it will happen. Just how I feel.

2014 Offseason:

QB Colt McCoy- UFA – Probably Gone
RB Anthony Dixon- UFA – Possible re-signing
WR Anquan Boldin- UFA – Should be re-signed
WR Mario Manningham- UFA – Should be re-signed
WR Kassim Osgood- UFA – Should be re-signed
C Jonathan Goodwin- UFA – Probably Gone
DE Demarcus Dobbs- RFA – Possible re-signing, not a RFA tender
ILB Michael Wilhoite- EFA – Should be re-signed, EFA tender
CB Tarell Brown- UFA – Probably Gone
CB Perrish Cox - RFA - Should be re-signed, not a RFA tender
CB Eric Wright- UFA – Possible re-signing
SS Donte Whitner- UFA – Should be re-signed
PK Phil Dawson- UFA – Should be re-signed

2015 Offseason:

QB Colin Kaepernick- UFA – Should be re-signed
RB Frank Gore- UFA – Should be re-signed
RB Kendall Hunter- UFA – Should be re-signed
FB Bruce Miller- UFA – Should be re-signed
FB Will Tukuafu - RFA - Possible re-signing, not RFA tender
WR Michael Crabtree- UFA – Should be re-signed
WR Brandon Carswell- EFA – Probably Gone
WR David Reed - UFA - Possible re-signing
TE Garrett Celek- RFA – Possible re-signing, not a RFA tender
C Daniel Kilgore- UFA – Possible re-signing, if he wins Center job
LG Mike Iupati- UFA – Possible re-signing, for right price
RG Adam Snyder- UFA – Probably gone
DE Tony Jerod-Eddie- EFA – Possible re-sgning, EFA tender
NT Glenn Dorsey- UFA – Should be re-signed
OLB Aldon Smith- UFA – Should be re-signed
OLB Dan Skuta- UFA – Should be re-signed
CB Chris Culliver- UFA – Should be re-signed
SS C.J. Spillman- UFA – Should be re-signed
SS Raymond Ventrone- UFA – Possible re-signing
SS D.J. Campbell - RFA - Possible re-signing, not RFA tender

2016 Offseason:

QB McLeod Bethel-Thompson - RFA - Possible re-signing
RB LaMichael James- UFA – Possible re-signing
RB Jewel Hampton - RFA - Possible re-signing, not RFA tender
FB Alex Debniak- EFA – Probably Gone
WR Jon Baldwin- UFA – Probably Gone
WR DeMarco Sampson - RFA - Possible re-signing, not RFA tender
WR Chuck Jacobs - EFA - Possible re-signing, EFA tender
WR Devon Wylie - RFA - Possible re-signing, not RFA tender
TE Vernon Davis- UFA – Should be re-signed
TE Derek Carrier- EFA – Possible re-signing, EFA tender
RG Alex Boone- UFA – Should be re-signed
LG Joe Looney- UFA – Possible re-signing
OG Al Netter - EFA - Possible re-signing, EFA tender
OT Luke Marquardt- EFA – Should be re-signed, EFA tender
OT Carter Bykowski - EFA - Possible re-singing, EFA tender
DE Justin Smith- UFA – Probably Retires
DE Ray McDonald- UFA – Possible re-signing
DE Lawrence Okoye- EFA – Should be re-signed, EFA tender
NT Ian Williams- UFA – Possible re-signing
NT Michael Purcell - Possible re-signing, EFA tender
DT Christian Tupou - RFA - Possible re-signing, not RFA tender
ILB Darius Fleming- RFA – Possible re-signing, not RFA tender
CB Carlos Rogers- UFA – Probably Gone
CB Darryl Morris- Should be re-signed, EFA tender
CB Dax Swanson - EFA - Possible re-signing, EFA tender
FS Craig Dahl- UFA – Probably Gone
P Colton Schmidt - EFA - Possible re-signing, EFA tender
LS Kevin McDermott- RFA – Should be re-signed, RFA tender

2017 Offseason:

RB Marcus Lattimore- Should be re-signed, RFA tender
WR Quinton Patton- Should be re-signed
TE Vance McDonald- Should be re-signed
DE Tank Carradine- Should be re-signed
NT Quinton Dial- Should be re-signed
OLB Corey Lemonier- Should be re-signed
ILB Patrick Willis – Should be re-signed
ILB Nick Moody- Possible re-signing
FS Eric Reid- Should be re-signed

2018 Offseason:

LT Joe Staley- Should be re-signed
OLB Ahmad Brooks- Should be re-signed
CB Tramaine Brock- Should be re-signed

2019 Offseason:

ILB NaVorro Bowman- Should be re-signed
P Andy Lee- Might Retire

2020 Offseason:

RT Anthony Davis- Should be re-signed
We're one of the few teams that can attract quality vets on cheap, short-term deals. Seattle struck gold with Bennett and Avril. It would be nice if we could pull off something similar, preferably in the secondary and one more weapon at WR.

But it's not like we've struck out in FA. We've done well there. Goodwin, Whitner, Rogers, Dorsey, Dawson, Skuta...just a few off the top of my head that have been quality contributors.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
We're one of the few teams that can attract quality vets on cheap, short-term deals. Seattle struck gold with Bennett and Avril. It would be nice if we could pull off something similar, preferably in the secondary and one more weapon at WR.

But it's not like we've struck out in FA. We've done well there. Goodwin, Whitner, Rogers, Dorsey, Dawson, Skuta...just a few off the top of my head that have been quality contributors.

Agree...but we have and have had plenty to win the Superbowl the past three years. We just need to develop better and/or USE the talent we have. No doubt we're going to add a ton of competition this year throught FA and esp. the draft but restructure our salary cap like a boss like always.

At this junture, we need to acquire players (ideally, like Reid) who are actually UPGRADES on our roster if possible. We have plenty of depth for years to come IMHO and I'm sure Baalke will acquire more picks for next year as well.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:

Did you read my post or did you just start typing

You wrote about signing Deion which can easily be interpreted if not outright state you think that we need to sign someone huge. Which we don't and won't do.

Also outside of selling their barn for Percy Harvin the Seahawks took an identical approach to the 9ers in terms of bolstering their pass rush.

Michael Bennett 1 year for $5 Million
Cliff Avril 2 years for $13 Million ---- a bit of a stretch but we signed Whitner for 3 years and a bit less than $12 million when we knew we needed a safety.

Now Seattle is up against the cap and has some tough decisions to make.
----

We are going to continue to approach FA the same way.

1. Toss a mid-level offer at top tier FAs and remind them we are now perennial SB contenders and not bat an eyelash when they don't choose us
2. Sign someone in 5-10 rank range from the same position as said "star player" that we made an offer to and move on.

I reiterate that the Seahawks completely mimicked our approach to FA but made the decision to sell the farm for Harvin, who didn't even help get them to the SB, and once they got their he made 2 plays that were big but even though the KR probably was the "dagger", Seattle was never going to lose that game. His cap # in 2013 was $3.5 Million, now he's due $10-13 million per year for the life of his contract and is one of the most oft-injured players in the NFL.

We won't get impact players unless they come at a bargain price, see Anquan Boldin and his $6 Million salary for a 6th round pick, we had the chance to get Mike Wallace or Josh Gordon and their rookie contract wages for just a 1st rounder maybe another day 2 or 3 pick and said "No thank you".

What makes you think we are going to go make a "Prime Time like signing" after 3 or 4 years of seeing that Baalke averages $3-5 million per year on his offers and many are less than 3 years in length if not just 1 year deals????
[ Edited by sfout on Feb 9, 2014 at 9:58 AM ]
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Yeah, we won't break the bank for anyone. We let Goldson walk cause he wanted and got $40M+, while we drafted a as good as him FS for way way way less than Goldson got.

We did make a few moves over 1st few days. Minor moves, Dahl, Dorsey, Skuta, Dawson. The Boldin deal was on I believe the day of FA or day before FA started.

Problem is too many teams dont have the cap space to keep their top guys, so the crappy, or less dominant teams add those top players, and pay a ridiculous price tag for them. This years crop is good except QB, as always, so I expect overpaying to begin at 4PM Eastern March 11th. I always enjoy FA opening for the 1st week. I watch NFL Network, always waiting to hear who signed where, and how much. I also hold out hope we do add or keep a key guy, like a Boldin, Dawson, Whitner, etc.. I was excited in March 2013 when we signed Dorsey, cause Sopoaga was old, and Jean Francois got overpaid.

So I am excited to see who goes where, who are idiots and overpay an above average player a $8M a year deal. Want to see the market for guys like Dixon, Wright, Cox, Brown, Goodwin, etc... I don't rule out a signing, but don't hold your breath on a big name signing. I have said for months, and years even, that you dont build thru FA, you build via the Draft. Also we dont overpay anyone. So I hope we retain Dawson, Whit, and Boldin, plus extend some guys, I read on CSNBayArea that some things may not happen, like restructuring deals. I hope he means guys with long term deals. We need to think about extending Vernon, maybe McDonald, Willis. 2016 offseason is bad also, as if 2015. We got Justin Smith(Who knows if he is around then, he may retire), McDonald, Vernon all UFAs.

Here's something I put together for the future free agents.

Don't take the Should or Will be seriously, It was my feelings, like Whitner should be retained, not saying the team feels the same, or it will happen. Just how I feel.

2014 Offseason:

QB Colt McCoy- UFA – Probably Gone
RB Anthony Dixon- UFA – Possible re-signing
WR Anquan Boldin- UFA – Should be re-signed
WR Mario Manningham- UFA – Should be re-signed
WR Kassim Osgood- UFA – Should be re-signed
C Jonathan Goodwin- UFA – Probably Gone
DE Demarcus Dobbs- RFA – Possible re-signing, not a RFA tender
ILB Michael Wilhoite- EFA – Should be re-signed, EFA tender
CB Tarell Brown- UFA – Probably Gone
CB Perrish Cox - RFA - Should be re-signed, not a RFA tender
CB Eric Wright- UFA – Possible re-signing
SS Donte Whitner- UFA – Should be re-signed
PK Phil Dawson- UFA – Should be re-signed

2015 Offseason:

QB Colin Kaepernick- UFA – Should be re-signed
RB Frank Gore- UFA – Should be re-signed
RB Kendall Hunter- UFA – Should be re-signed
FB Bruce Miller- UFA – Should be re-signed
FB Will Tukuafu - RFA - Possible re-signing, not RFA tender
WR Michael Crabtree- UFA – Should be re-signed
WR Brandon Carswell- EFA – Probably Gone
WR David Reed - UFA - Possible re-signing
TE Garrett Celek- RFA – Possible re-signing, not a RFA tender
C Daniel Kilgore- UFA – Possible re-signing, if he wins Center job
LG Mike Iupati- UFA – Possible re-signing, for right price
RG Adam Snyder- UFA – Probably gone
DE Tony Jerod-Eddie- EFA – Possible re-sgning, EFA tender
NT Glenn Dorsey- UFA – Should be re-signed
OLB Aldon Smith- UFA – Should be re-signed
OLB Dan Skuta- UFA – Should be re-signed
CB Chris Culliver- UFA – Should be re-signed
SS C.J. Spillman- UFA – Should be re-signed
SS Raymond Ventrone- UFA – Possible re-signing
SS D.J. Campbell - RFA - Possible re-signing, not RFA tender

2016 Offseason:

QB McLeod Bethel-Thompson - RFA - Possible re-signing
RB LaMichael James- UFA – Possible re-signing
RB Jewel Hampton - RFA - Possible re-signing, not RFA tender
FB Alex Debniak- EFA – Probably Gone
WR Jon Baldwin- UFA – Probably Gone
WR DeMarco Sampson - RFA - Possible re-signing, not RFA tender
WR Chuck Jacobs - EFA - Possible re-signing, EFA tender
WR Devon Wylie - RFA - Possible re-signing, not RFA tender
TE Vernon Davis- UFA – Should be re-signed
TE Derek Carrier- EFA – Possible re-signing, EFA tender
RG Alex Boone- UFA – Should be re-signed
LG Joe Looney- UFA – Possible re-signing
OG Al Netter - EFA - Possible re-signing, EFA tender
OT Luke Marquardt- EFA – Should be re-signed, EFA tender
OT Carter Bykowski - EFA - Possible re-singing, EFA tender
DE Justin Smith- UFA – Probably Retires
DE Ray McDonald- UFA – Possible re-signing
DE Lawrence Okoye- EFA – Should be re-signed, EFA tender
NT Ian Williams- UFA – Possible re-signing
NT Michael Purcell - Possible re-signing, EFA tender
DT Christian Tupou - RFA - Possible re-signing, not RFA tender
ILB Darius Fleming- RFA – Possible re-signing, not RFA tender
CB Carlos Rogers- UFA – Probably Gone
CB Darryl Morris- Should be re-signed, EFA tender
CB Dax Swanson - EFA - Possible re-signing, EFA tender
FS Craig Dahl- UFA – Probably Gone
P Colton Schmidt - EFA - Possible re-signing, EFA tender
LS Kevin McDermott- RFA – Should be re-signed, RFA tender

2017 Offseason:

RB Marcus Lattimore- Should be re-signed, RFA tender
WR Quinton Patton- Should be re-signed
TE Vance McDonald- Should be re-signed
DE Tank Carradine- Should be re-signed
NT Quinton Dial- Should be re-signed
OLB Corey Lemonier- Should be re-signed
ILB Patrick Willis – Should be re-signed
ILB Nick Moody- Possible re-signing
FS Eric Reid- Should be re-signed

2018 Offseason:

LT Joe Staley- Should be re-signed
OLB Ahmad Brooks- Should be re-signed
CB Tramaine Brock- Should be re-signed

2019 Offseason:

ILB NaVorro Bowman- Should be re-signed
P Andy Lee- Might Retire

2020 Offseason:

RT Anthony Davis- Should be re-signed

That reminds me I hope Chuck Jacobs continues to develop into a quick, shifty slot receiver type that we can use down the road.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Wow AB you really think we should re-sign Mario? That suggestion comes out of left field IMO. He was never healthy and again IMO Patton showed enough that Rio would automatically be our #4 with no chance of advancing up the DC.

AB--Reread and...never mind on Boldin!

Thanks for the list, it's always interesting to see where they have wiggle room versus worries.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 9, 2014 at 10:40 AM ]
It'd be cool to see Vontae Davis become a 49er. Too bad he'll cost too much.
[ Edited by pwillis52beasty on Feb 9, 2014 at 12:35 PM ]
I hope we don't re sign Mario Manningham. He's overrated and injured a lot. Adios.
Originally posted by sfout:
Wow AB you really think we should re-sign Mario? That suggestion comes out of left field IMO. He was never healthy and again IMO Patton showed enough that Rio would automatically be our #4 with no chance of advancing up the DC.

As usual I goofed up. This was pre injury again. No way in hell should they re-sign him. My bad, I need to go over the list again.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
As usual I goofed up. This was pre injury again. No way in hell should they re-sign him. My bad, I need to go over the list again.

haha okay. I kind of figured this was something you had saved but then I sometimes go on huge post binges like that sometimes so I had to question it.
Share 49ersWebzone