LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 443 users in the forums

How much to pay Iupati?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
This is people realizing because of the salary cap there it's not likely that we keep our QB, WR, OLB, and LG when you already have sizeable contracts for Bowman, Willis, Brooks, Davis, Staley, Boone, etc. It's just not sustainable. When we drafted him, we needed o-line help badly and didn't have as many guys on big deals. Times have changed. It will not be easy to truly replace his production, but based off of what we've seen people are more comfortable replacing a guard than they are replacing a receiver. It's also the reason some people in their mocks are taking a guard as high as the second round, so by no means are they undervaluing what Iupati brings to the table.

i had this talk with a guy at work. he claims we will be able to keep all of them, along with boldin.

i mathed it out

iupati $7mil
crabtree $8mil
aldon $15mil
colin $17mil
anquan $6mil

that is $53mil on 5 players and not counting willis, justin smith, bowman, vernon, anthony davis, and what boone will get.

i was saying iupati is gone, and maybe colin if he wants $20mil.
Unless he learns to pass block...nothing.
If we do let Mike Iupati go, he will definitely get a top dollar contract in free agency (which means we get a 3rd round comp pick), and I hope we go after more athletic lineman if that's what we need to get the screen game going.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

That's just not true. He's good at that and even dominant when healthy. He may be the best run blocking Guard in the entire league. He's a great, great player. You can't get him every year in the draft. He's unique.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

That's just not true. He's good at that and even dominant when healthy. He may be the best run blocking Guard in the entire league. He's a great, great player. You can't get him every year in the draft. He's unique.

True but no way we can afford him. Better use of the money would be on smith or crabtree
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
If we do let Mike Iupati go, he will definitely get a top dollar contract in free agency (which means we get a 3rd round comp pick), and I hope we go after more athletic lineman if that's what we need to get the screen game going.

Yea
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

True but no way we can afford him. Better use of the money would be on smith or crabtree

Well Mike has slow/stupid feet when it comes to pass blocking he's always taking a bad step. His game problem is mental, not as bad as Rachael's bone head was. Hard to says smith right now with the off the field issues he's had. I would love to extend crabtree because we can't draft wr's to save a life. I'd be really happy if his contract was like A.D was I'd be so happy with that.
  • Liono
If our lineman are such great run blockers, then why do we get stuffed so often in short yardage situations?
Originally posted by Liono:
If our lineman are such great run blockers, then why do we get stuffed so often in short yardage situations?

Because there is 9 guys in the box.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Originally posted by susweel:
dont pay him, let him walk and draft a replacement

THIS!!!!

What most people are not factoring in is if you keep Iupati for next season, and he walks, and the team does not bring in a FA of his calibur, there is a high probability you will get a 3rd round compensatory pick, (topp 100 pick) similar to what we are hoping for for Goldson. This is the best case scenario and one that will be played out more and more with the new rookie wage scale.

Because the Titans signed Andy Levitre (who? right) to a ridiculous 6 yr @ $47M contract, it's more than reasonable to expect Iupati's agent to go after $50M +. I don't see any way Baalke goes down that road...so, I think his move will be to let Big Mike walk and give Looney his shot (if he doesn't win the C job should Goodwin walk). I know Niner fans haven't seen that much of JL, but believe me, this guy has all the tools to become a real beast on our OL.
Pay him what he made last year + 15%
Share 49ersWebzone