LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 332 users in the forums

How much to pay Iupati?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I don't see why we cannot trade him before the draft. I would think we could possibly get a late first or second from a team. He's a very good player and deserves more than we can pay him. Obviously this leaves a large hole at LG but with Looney and probably drafting another guard, I think we can make do. I would prefer we sign him but we have had pretty decent success drafting linemen of late.
We'll, he will be playing for a new contract next season regardless, so we should still benefit as a team.....he is a fine player, would like to have him long term, just doesn't seem feasible in today's marketplace/cap.
Logic says to let him play this season at the current rate and let him walk in free agency if he does not accept a fair market deal. I'm sure we will get a 3rd or 4th round comp pick for him, and I don't see a team giving anymore than that, so there is no reason to trade him. The Giants were in the same predicament with Nicks this season.
If we could package him with draft picks for Sammy Watkins.................,
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
I agree on letting Iupati walk, he's been massively injury prone as of late, and he's a mediocre pass-blocker. Even before Iupati suffered injury symptoms I saw our (even more) mediocre Snyder fill in better than Mike did (specially later on, when we hosted Seattle back in week 14).

Putting homerism aside (completely), I think Boone and Staley are the only guys on our line (period) worth commanding ANY money in the future.

agree 100 percent with this. staley probably our best oline and boone probably right behind him. if were to rank them all id go staley, boone, davis, lupati, goodwin.

Isn't it funny how those top three are the ones that are signed for the next two+ years? Baalke strikes again.
I did find it interesting that Baalke went and extended Anthony Davis before Iupati, even though Iupati was the more dominant lineman from 2010 to 2012. One reason is that it is easier to replace a guard than a tackle, but I wonder if there's more to this.
I'm thinking we re-sign him for an extremely friendly contract. He seems like the guy who likes to feel comfortable with his peers, and he seems to be happy with Staley and the rest of the guys. We are a championship calibur team.. I think the contract is going to be one of those deals that we are like wow thats a steal.
Originally posted by Zachary:
I'm thinking we re-sign him for an extremely friendly contract. He seems like the guy who likes to feel comfortable with his peers, and he seems to be happy with Staley and the rest of the guys. We are a championship calibur team.. I think the contract is going to be one of those deals that we are like wow thats a steal.

All that is true plus this is close to his home but the problem is agents get in the way. It's up to Iupati to tell his agent to I want to be here get it done. If he doesn't stand up to him and say that then his agent will say Levitre 46 mil, Nicks 54 million, etc so we want 55 million or whatever. Problem is guys want to get paid what other players similar to them are getting paid even if a crappy team way overpaid because they don't know how to build through the draft. So ideally he would sign for 5 years 30-35 million but his agent will go for 5 years 45-55 million. I just don't think we can keep him and he's at the bottom of my list between Crabtree, Aldon and Kaepernick. Plus we have a lot of other guys to pay like Boldin, Miller, Culliver, etc. I think I'd sacrifice him to get all those others done. Could always plug Boone at LG and find a RG which is the easiest spot to fill if Looney or a draft pick struggles after Iupati leaves.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Feb 8, 2014 at 12:48 AM ]
Whatever we get when we save from cutting a carlos!
What people fail to see is if this were a new draft and know what we know now what would you do? Iupati is a better play at his position that Crabtree is! He is in the top 5 in guards. Crabtree is not even in the top 10. when Iupati was in the Championship game the 49ers were moving the ball. After the injury we all know how the rush was getting up the middle of the line. You can have the best wide receivers in the game ,but if you don't have a O-line you can't run your offense .
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sanjose49erfan:
What people fail to see is if this were a new draft and know what we know now what would you do? Iupati is a better play at his position that Crabtree is! He is in the top 5 in guards. Crabtree is not even in the top 10. when Iupati was in the Championship game the 49ers were moving the ball. After the injury we all know how the rush was getting up the middle of the line. You can have the best wide receivers in the game ,but if you don't have a O-line you can't run your offense .

That's akin to saying Andy Lee is top 3 punter, so focus on extending him instead of Kaepernick. Of course, this is an exaggeration, but those two positions are apples to oranges. No team is a guard away from a super bowl.

Originally posted by fister30:
What exactly is iupati's strength? He's not the most mobile guard and he doesn't exactly blow somebody off of the LOS either. I've seen him engulf LB's when he gets to the second level and seal off DT's when he traps. But honestly, I think he is replaceable if we want similar production. A more mobile guard might pull or trap better than Iupati. I've also seen iupati get beat in pass pro a few times by smaller type DT's.

I'm with you for letting him play out the season and walk in favor of a cheaper replacement if he can't be signed for a reasonable deal, he is by far the most over-rated 49ers, but if there is one thing Iupati is (for a guard) its mobile. There are only a handful of men of his size on the planet that are as mobile as he is.
[ Edited by Gavintech on Feb 8, 2014 at 12:34 PM ]
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2014/02/07/odd-man-out-several-factors-could-block-extension-for-iupati/

Damn I feel like he's gone already with that article. f**k the salary cap. We need to Debartolo him to keep him well fed and playing here.

His agent is also probably looking at that contract(A more comparable guard) Carl Nicks received.
You dont pay big money for Guards. Lets see how he looks next year, but right now we have way too many more important guys to pay to save room for a Iupati contract.

As Kap becomes more polished, and Frank Gore's career ends, we probably go away from such a heavy power running game anyways. Lattimore is more of a slasher than a bull.
I like Iupati but I don't think we need 100% need him.
With our roster as stacked as it is we are going to have to plug and play with some positions. Iupati's spot is going to be one of them. Someday down the road it will be staley's, on day it will be davis' spot. Thats just how it goes.
Share 49ersWebzone