LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 267 users in the forums

The disparity in the coaching staff from offense to defense

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by buck:
I am not sure the extent that a player's career can be linked to the coaching staff.

Crabtree has played two full seasons under the current coaching staff.

Prior to the arrival of the current staff, Crabtree best year was 2010.
In 2010, Crabtree had 55 receptions for 741 yards, and 6 scores in 16 games. He had 56.8 yards a game.
In 2009, he had 48 receptions for 625 yards, and two scores in 11 games. He had 46.3 yards a game.

The current coaching staff arrived in 2011.

In 2011, he had 72 receptions for 874 yards, and 4 scores. He had 58.3 yards a game.
In 2012, he had 85 receptions for 1,105 yards and 9 scores. He had 69.1 yards a game.
In 2013, he had 19 receptions for 284 and 1 score in 5 games.
He had 56.8 yards a game, which still equaled his best prior to the arrival of the current coaching staff.
It appears that Crabtree has improved his game each year with the current coaching staff.

To what degree should the coaching staff be credited with Crabtree's improvement and to what degree should Crabtree be given credit for his improvement.

Agreed, as thl408 noted, the ball was spread around much more under Alex and then Crabtree became more of a primary target under CK b/c those intermediate routes suited CK's (arm) strengths better (and they developed chemistry well like with Boldin...VD took longer d/t the game planning).

As to what degree Crabtree's coaches should get credit? Didn't he hold out for a long time, stepped on the field and performed well? That's probably an indication that he was a quality talent to begin with (1st rounder) and coaching in this case, probably didn't make a momumental gain in his production or development here.
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 7, 2014 at 9:31 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by buck:
I am not sure the extent that a player's career can be linked to the coaching staff.

Crabtree has played two full seasons under the current coaching staff.

Prior to the arrival of the current staff, Crabtree best year was 2010.
In 2010, Crabtree had 55 receptions for 741 yards, and 6 scores in 16 games. He had 56.8 yards a game.
In 2009, he had 48 receptions for 625 yards, and two scores in 11 games. He had 46.3 yards a game.

The current coaching staff arrived in 2011.

In 2011, he had 72 receptions for 874 yards, and 4 scores. He had 58.3 yards a game.
In 2012, he had 85 receptions for 1,105 yards and 9 scores. He had 69.1 yards a game.
In 2013, he had 19 receptions for 284 and 1 score in 5 games.
He had 56.8 yards a game, which still equaled his best prior to the arrival of the current coaching staff.
It appears that Crabtree has improved his game each year with the current coaching staff.

To what degree should the coaching staff be credited with Crabtree's improvement and to what degree should Crabtree be given credit for his improvement.

Agreed, as thl408 noted, the ball was spread around much more under Alex and then Crabtree became more of a primary target under CK b/c those intermediate routes suited CK's (arm) strengths better (and they developed chemistry well like with Boldin...VD took longer d/t the game planning).

As to what degree Crabtree's coaches should get credit? Didn't he hold out for a long time, stepped on the field and performed well? That's probably an indication that he was a quality talent to begin with (1st rounder) and coaching in this case, probably didn't make a momumental gain in his production or development here.

Good points.

I really do not have an answer, but I tend to think that a player's improvement or lack of improvement depends primarily on the player.

But, I am not sure.
Greg Roman Empire ...

Share 49ersWebzone